Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Equipment

Old 12-06-2009, 12:12 AM   #1
Kevin Perry

Default Belt Recommendations

What brands of belts do you guys use/recommend as best for strength building?

That new 70's big article on em got my interest but I have a short torso and Im not familiar at all with the different brands.
Kevin Perry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 12:32 AM   #2
Donald Lee

I don't know much about belts, but from what I've found, the ones Pendlay sells are by far the cheapest.
Donald Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 04:40 AM   #3
Allen Yeh

Dave had recommended the spud belt to me a while ago, I still haven't bought one but I have it on my wishlist of stuff.
Allen Yeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 04:30 AM   #4
Don Stevenson

Depends on exactly what you are going to be doing and sometimes one belt is not the answer. I have two belts and i'm thinking about getting a third.

Belt 1 - http://www.schiek.com/belts.html

Ignore the bodybuilders, these are the best belts i've found for olympic weightlifting and general training. Broad at the front and the back with a slightly narrower section between the ribs, these belts allow good range of motion for snatch and clean and jerk while being supportive enough for fairly heavy squats and deadlifts. They have a proper buckle thats infinitely adjustable.

The only problem i've had with them is that their sizing chart is a bit out. if you are anywhere near the small end of the suggested sizing buy the smaller sized belt. At 108kg and about a 38" waist I can still wear a "medium". At the top end of PL they aren't really supportive enough and you may find your gut bending the belt out a little.

Beware of cheap imitation belts that look like the schiek belts but have only got a velcro closure, when the velcro wears out a bit they can pop open during a lift - very uncool.

I made pretty much every O lifter in our gym that uses a belt buy one of the Schiek belts and they all love them.

Belt 2 - Want maximum support? Prepared to deal with maximum pain?

http://www.inzernet.com/detail_belt....ERBELT_LEVER13

Get an Inzer, preferably in pink because if you use one of these long enough you'll be so strong no one will make fun of you and no one steals a pink belt.

maximum PL legal width all the way round, ideal for digging into your ribs and hips leaving bruises and visibly burst blood vessels, also ideal for dieting since doing heavy deads in this belt can cause you to regurgitate your lunch.

On the plus side you get maximum support to brace against and the lever is easy to adjust for length (with a screwdriver) and makes tightening and loosening the belt easy. They also do a prong version and one thats got a ratchet fastening system.

I wear this belt for all my heavy deadlifts and squats and any strongman work like carries.

Downsides - impossible to do olympic lifting in, way too constrictive. Also can get very very painful. Buckle occasionally gets in the way doing strongman cleans.

This leads me to belt 3 which i'm thinking of buying.

http://www.inzernet.com/detail_belt....B_TAPER_BUCKLE

It's sort of in between the other two.

4" wide at the back, about 3" at the front and around the hips which means less bruising and less digging into your stomach (=less puke in mouth)

thinner 10mm leather as opposed to 13mm

One of our 105kg lifters wears one of these for his squats and clean and jerks.

If i buy one i'll definitely get it in pink, possibly with rhinestones or sequins across the back
Don Stevenson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 12:08 PM   #5
Kevin Perry

Much appreciated info Don, I will definitely be looking into these ones.
Kevin Perry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 01:44 PM   #6
Justin Herring

So I take it there is a support versus comfort/mobility tradeoff?

I'm thinking strongly of getting a belt because I have a bit of a bum back and I am starting to run into back problems as I push my deadlift max up. I've backed off lifting near my PR, but I don't want to give up lifting heavy altogether.

I'm not that strong though, so I guess the Schiek would be enough for me.
Justin Herring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 01:31 PM   #7
Wayne Larsen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Stevenson View Post
Want maximum support? Prepared to deal with maximum pain? Get an Inzer, preferably in pink because if you use one of these long enough you'll be so strong no one will make fun of you and no one steals a pink belt.
The Inzer belts look good, but the size seems to be an awfully small range of 4 inches from smallest to largest (eg 36-39, 40-43). If that's the case, I'd have to buy two belts to cover me depending on what size I am at the moment. Are those size measurements accurate, or is that just the average size in the middle holes?
Wayne Larsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 09:30 PM   #8
Steve Shafley

One of my athlete's dads saw my econoprowler and said he could weld me up a few more if I wanted.
Steve Shafley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 06:51 PM   #9
Derek Weaver

Bump.

When you guys are talking about the spud belt, are you talking about either of these?
http://www.flexcart.com/members/elit...&m=PD&pid=2480
http://www.flexcart.com/members/elit...&m=PD&pid=2840

EDIT:
If so, I'm a little confused how to measure. Anyone know if the measurements are true to size?

My actual waist where I wear my belt is as low as 29" and as high as 31" up to 32" after all you can eat sushi. I get substantially thicker in a hurry at the navel and above.

I just realized I look really odd through the torso.
Derek Weaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 04:51 PM   #10
Derek Weaver

Beeeump.

I have broken down and realize I need to pony up for a new belt. Preferably one with that will serve the purpose for the slow lifts only. Don't care about the oly lifts at this point anymore.

Anyone know if the spud inc belts will do for squats. I've read mixed reviews, as to their multipurpose-ness (made that term up).

Gotta protect the back a little more than the cheap belt I've got right now.
Derek Weaver is offline   Reply With Quote