Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Fitness, Strength & CrossFit

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-21-2009, 07:15 PM   #1
David Lawson
New Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 14
Default Sprinting speed

How do I increase my sprinting speed for 100m? eg What exercise do I do, for how long and what to do in the gym or something.
David Lawson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 09:52 PM   #2
Jay Ashman
Senior Member
 
Jay Ashman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Cleveland, OH
Posts: 377
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Lawson View Post
How do I increase my sprinting speed for 100m? eg What exercise do I do, for how long and what to do in the gym or something.
basically, sprint more.

Work on power development for your legs and foot speed, as well as sprinting technique.

double-unders (for foot speed and quickness), box jumps, footwork drills, starting drills (off the blocks), overspeed training, parachute training, etc..

there are a lot of things you can do...

why do you want to improve it? for track or for fun?
Jay Ashman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 11:38 PM   #3
David Lawson
New Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 14
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Ashman View Post
basically, sprint more.

Work on power development for your legs and foot speed, as well as sprinting technique.

double-unders (for foot speed and quickness), box jumps, footwork drills, starting drills (off the blocks), overspeed training, parachute training, etc..

there are a lot of things you can do...

why do you want to improve it? for track or for fun?
I'm training for 100m speed.

What distance(s) should I run, how many sets and reps. Would sprinting a full court basketball court, I think around 30m do?

Should I try some mid distance, at least 3km maybe, jog with like a little incline, 90 meters long incline, on some part of the course of the park? If so, how should my schedule look like, including the weight training days and off days.

What's overspeed training and how do I get a parachute, and where do I train with it.

I am already squatting. What muscles apart from the legs that I should train in the gym to increase my sprinting speed and what exercises do that?
David Lawson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 04:21 AM   #4
Steven Low
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 3,091
Default

Lift heavy (deadlifts), work your start, short sprints <30-40m.. as you improve a bit you take some out to 60-70m

Check out this thread:
http://www.performancemenu.com/forum...read.php?t=106
__________________
Posts NOT intended as professional medical, training or nutrition advice.
Site // Bodyweight Strength Training Article // Overcoming Gravity Bodyweight Book
Steven Low is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 05:32 AM   #5
Chris Forbis
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Greenville, SC
Posts: 836
Default

Scott Kustes wrote an article in Issue 58 of the PMenu worth checking out.

Kelly Baggett has good stuff: http://www.higher-faster-sports.com/articles.html

If you're doing this for basketball, keep in mind that the longest straight distance you will ever have to run is 25-30 meters. You might want to throw in some change of direction sprints (down and back for time) to prepare for the rapid deceleration to rapid acceleration that comes with playing basketball.
Chris Forbis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 06:43 AM   #6
David Lawson
New Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 14
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Low View Post
Lift heavy (deadlifts), work your start, short sprints <30-40m.. as you improve a bit you take some out to 60-70m

Check out this thread:
http://www.performancemenu.com/forum...read.php?t=106
Why take it out to 60-70m?

Do I need to train every muscle to improve my sprint speed? Thx



Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Forbis View Post
Scott Kustes wrote an article in Issue 58 of the PMenu worth checking out.

Kelly Baggett has good stuff: http://www.higher-faster-sports.com/articles.html

If you're doing this for basketball, keep in mind that the longest straight distance you will ever have to run is 25-30 meters. You might want to throw in some change of direction sprints (down and back for time) to prepare for the rapid deceleration to rapid acceleration that comes with playing basketball.
Where is Issue 58?
David Lawson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 02:05 PM   #7
Gant Grimes
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 1,373
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Ashman View Post
basically, sprint more.

Work on power development for your legs and foot speed, as well as sprinting technique.

double-unders (for foot speed and quickness), box jumps, footwork drills, starting drills (off the blocks), overspeed training, parachute training, etc..

there are a lot of things you can do...

why do you want to improve it? for track or for fun?
Sorry for the thread-jack, but DUs are a pet peeve of mine. DUs are absolutely the wrong place to start. In fact, the way most people do them, it doesn't train foot speed at all. CF has screwed up the general understanding of jump rope training as bad as they have medicine ball training.
__________________
"It should be more like birthday party than physics class." | Log | 70's Big
Gant Grimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 04:28 PM   #8
Jamie J. Skibicki
Member
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 59
Default

Gant,

Can you expand on that last comment?
Jamie J. Skibicki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 09:45 AM   #9
Gant Grimes
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 1,373
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie J. Skibicki View Post
Gant,

Can you expand on that last comment?
Yes. DUs are an advanced basic skill that should be practiced after mastering the basic bounce, alternating leg bounces, shuffles, skiers, bells, and single-leg bounces. DUs can have benefit in a rope training program when mixed in with other elements. CF likes them because they make people tired (from jumping 12" into the air and landing on their heels repeatedly).

I can come close to 180-190 rpm on alternating bounces when I'm jumping frequently. That's great for foot speed and quickness, but it has limited application for sprinting. DUs are even worse because you spend more time in the air. A good plyo and drilling program works better.

Like Jay said, the 20# med ball is stupid. There is rarely any benefit in going over 6 or 8#. If you pick up a ball over 10#, it should be an Atlas stone.
__________________
"It should be more like birthday party than physics class." | Log | 70's Big
Gant Grimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 10:01 AM   #10
Jay Ashman
Senior Member
 
Jay Ashman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Cleveland, OH
Posts: 377
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gant Grimes View Post
Yes. DUs are an advanced basic skill that should be practiced after mastering the basic bounce, alternating leg bounces, shuffles, skiers, bells, and single-leg bounces. DUs can have benefit in a rope training program when mixed in with other elements. CF likes them because they make people tired (from jumping 12" into the air and landing on their heels repeatedly).

I can come close to 180-190 rpm on alternating bounces when I'm jumping frequently. That's great for foot speed and quickness, but it has limited application for sprinting. DUs are even worse because you spend more time in the air. A good plyo and drilling program works better.
I can't argue with that at all. Those are all good training methods. I was thinking in terms of rebound speed because whether or not you have to spend time in the air or not, in DU's you better pick those feet up quick. Essentially you are correct, if you are a sprinter the time it could take to learn the DU would be better spent doing specific drills to increase acceleration and foot speed.

Quote:
Like Jay said, the 20# med ball is stupid. There is rarely any benefit in going over 6 or 8#. If you pick up a ball over 10#, it should be an Atlas stone.
I spent a lot of time with sport specific training in the past and we did a lot of med ball work. I remember when I was benching 400+ and doing 225# for 38 reps (this was when I played football) and I was deadlifting over 550 at the time... well we had a coach who decided to throw in some medball training for a week to show us what we were lacking in. Most of us laughed at it at first because it was an 8# ball and being that I was a lineman and pretty goddamn strong I thought this was a joke; the only reason I published my lifts was to give you an example as to where my ego was at in reference to an 8# ball.... By the end of the week most of us were embarassed because our coordination, reflexes and explosiveness was sorely lacking. Not to mention the fact that I was literally in a pool of sweat from every single drill.

It definitely showed a part of my game that was sorely lacking.
Jay Ashman is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:06 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9 Beta 3
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Subscribe to our Newsletter


Receive emails with training tips, news updates, events info, sale notifications and more.
ASK GREG

Submit your question to be answered by Greg Everett in the Performance Menu or on the website

Submit Your Question
WEIGHTLIFTING TEAM

Catalyst Athletics is a USA Weightlifting team of competitive Olympic-style weightlifters with multiple national team medals.

Read More
Olympic Weightlifting Book
Catalyst Athletics
Contact Us
About
Help
Newsletter
Products & Services
Gym
Store
Seminars
Weightlifting Team
Performance Menu
Magazine Home
Subscriber Login
Issues
Articles
Workouts
About the Program
Workout Archives
Exercise Demos
Text Only
Instructional Content
Exercise Demos
Video Gallery
Free Articles
Free Recipes
Resources
Recommended Books & DVDs
Olympic Weightlifting Guide
Discussion Forum
Weight Conversion Calculator