Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Nutrition > Weight Gain, Weight Loss, Body Composition

Old 02-12-2007, 01:34 PM   #1
Daniel Miller

Default Best Nutrional advice-follow up

I'd appreciate some help.
Currently I'm working on gaining some mass while utilizing the PM 17 program.

As of now, I'm eating 5x per day.
7am, 10am, 12, 5, 8 or 9.

I recently nixed the legumes and am eating whole, unprocessed paleo food, with the exception of Bio-test's surge peri- and post WO. (2 full servings=96g Cho, 50g-hyrdolysed whey isolate and some BCAAs). 1-2 days per week I'll then eat 1-2 cups of mashed sweet potato 1 hour after finishing shake.

Two questions.
1. should I utilize the gainer drink while I'm trying to pack on a little more muscle or should I be more concerned with the antagonistic effect of insulin on GH?

I'm having a hard time getting above 2400-2700 total cals per day. In general, I'm eating low Carb, 4-5 blocks protein, and 3-5x Fat at every meal. for a total of 18 blocks with 5x fat. Macronutrient ratio ends up looking like:
12%-C / 28%-P / 60%-F on non-lifting days
25%-C/ 30%-P/ 46%-F- on training days

To up total calories, what should I increase?

thanks in advance.
-Dan
Daniel Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2007, 03:09 PM   #2
Greg Everett
Administrator

RE gainer drinks, insulin and gH - this is an ongoing point of contention. personally, it doesn't concern me. i use a load of bad stuff at the moment on my way up to a consistent 94kg--I'm simply unable to eat enough solid food, particularly of paleo quality. i view this as temporary, hence my lack of concern. it's not a practice i plan on continuing longterm.

RE calories - touched on this a bit above, but i'll repeat--it's extremely difficult to get adequate caloric surplus with clean eating. that said, your ratios look pretty good, so i'd say just increase all around. whether or not you can do that with solid paleo food will be dependent on your schedule and your stomach.i end up using powder - cytosport - with an obscene amount of nut butter added to it to supplement my whole food intake.

"Without a doubt the best book on the market about Olympic-style weightlifting." - Mike Burgener, USAW Senior International Coach

American Weightlifting: The Documentary
Catalyst Athletics
Performance Menu Journal
Greg Everett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2007, 06:08 PM   #3
Nick Cummings

Greg, would you mind posting a sample days worth of food for yourself? As another guy who fights his battles in the kitchen with a spoon it would be interesting to see how you go about it considering so far my athletic success pails in comparison. Thanks!
Nick Cummings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2007, 06:57 PM   #4
Yael Grauer

I second that request! In fact, I think everyone here should post their sample foods. I was looking at the Weston Price board member food diaries and thought, We can do better than this!
Old 02-12-2007, 07:24 PM   #5
Mike ODonnell

greg would you mind posting in lbs....shessssshhh....all this 2.2x conversion is killling me.....

I agree....I am trying to gain the lbs now...and am putting on the lbs using PWO with dextrose and all that fun stuff.....I see it as temporary and will lean out later....but for now....short term insulin spikes is where it is at for me.....once I get to 210 I'll lean out....currently at 195lbs.....

I find it easier to eat high calories to gain muscle and lean out.....rather than eat enougn calories to gain muscle while staying lean.....if that makes any sense.

Again my diet may not be 100% clean....but it's a temporary thing like Greg said......Almond Butter and Jelly Sandwhiches are my saving grace.
Mike ODonnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2007, 07:24 PM   #6
Daniel Miller

sounds good.
I'm 5'9
around 149lbs
<10% bf perhaps 7%?

I change it up a lot but here was today:

7am:
1 whole egg
1 cup egg whites
cooked spinach
1-2 tbl pesto or flax oil on omlette.
2 tbl spoon almond butter for desert.
2 fish oil caps

10-
tin of sardines spead in a bell pepper
1 tbl spoon olive oil

12-
5oz chicken breast
spinach 1/2 cup walnuts
1 tbl spoon olive oil
1/2 cup coconut nut milk based curry sauce
2 fish oil caps

5pm-
4 oz ground beef
2 potabella shrooms
ton of broccoli
1 tbl spoon olive oil
3 tbl spoons almond butter

6-7- Capoeira

8:30
4oz chicken breast
1.5 medium sweetpotatos
4 fish oil caps
1 glass shiraz
Daniel Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2007, 12:49 PM   #7
Greg Everett
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Cummings View Post
Greg, would you mind posting a sample days worth of food for yourself? As another guy who fights his battles in the kitchen with a spoon it would be interesting to see how you go about it considering so far my athletic success pails in comparison. Thanks!
If I posted my current diet, it would topple the PM forever. And bear in mind, my athletic success is waning...

Here's what I will share: My diet is essentiall ad libitum; I no longer weigh, measure, plan or even think too much about what I eat. My first priority is ensuring adequate protein consumption with every meal and my second priority is an obscene amount of calories. How priority number 2 is accomplished is where the problem lies. I do my best to stick with shakes containing assloads of fat, but beyond that, I'm pretty indiscriminate at the moment. Chinese food, all you can eat sushi, pizza, fast food... it gets ugly sometimes, but it's simply the result of having too little time for now and knowing from experience that I personally am unable to consume enough if I try to keep it clean. On a good day, it will be pretty basic - eggs, spinach, fruit, nuts, shake; some kind of meat, vegetables, nuts, shake; repeat that a few times with a shake pretty much every time I think about it and think I can get one down without vomiting.

"Without a doubt the best book on the market about Olympic-style weightlifting." - Mike Burgener, USAW Senior International Coach

American Weightlifting: The Documentary
Catalyst Athletics
Performance Menu Journal
Greg Everett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2007, 01:34 PM   #8
Mike ODonnell

So Greg is on the Standard American Diet....or SAD eating plan for short.....Ha.
Mike ODonnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2007, 03:48 PM   #9
Elliot Royce

I'm trying to eat 4500 calories per day and I am just sick of food. I can't get it down. Two mass gainer shakes at 500 cal apiece only accounts for 1000 cal. I ate a Subway 12" chicken ranch bacon sandwich for lunch to try to get the calories and ended up burping through my workout.

I can only eat so many nuts per day. Help!
Elliot Royce is offline   Reply With Quote