Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Fitness, Strength & CrossFit

Old 03-07-2010, 09:31 AM   #1
Troy Kerr

Default Pushing Progressions?

I have currently been experiementing with a progressive overload gymnastics routine. The purpose is to fit my school schedule and out of curiosity. The program started 2 weeks ago, on MWF I have performing 30 seconds of work in the static positions of the Planche, Back lever, Front Lever, and L-sit. On T-TR I perform 30 minutes of handstand work. Each week I add 5 seconds of work to the static positions on MWF. So far I have seen great progress.

With that in mind, I am currently at the adv. tuck for the back lever, and after 30 seconds of work I am pretty sore. However in my previous workout I was able to lower into a back-lever and hold for 7-10 seconds. I completed my 30 seconds of work with the full back lever. Today my elbows are still sore.

My question is that if I am able to execute the full back lever already, would it be necessary to continue with the progressions or just continue the rest of my workouts with the adv. tuck or straddle? I know this may seem like a stupid questions but I only ask because I was wondeing if the transition may not be giving my tendons enough time to adapt.

Thoughts or comments?
Troy Kerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 11:15 AM   #2
Steven Low
Super Moderator

I'd like to see a video of that just to make sure you're doing it correct. Sore elbows is pretty normal though.

If you can do back lever I would just skip it and train other stuff...

It may be a good idea to keep on training it though for another month or two just to allow the tendons to adapt more... but overall if you went to a different progression of some sort you should be fine. It's not like you're just going to step in and start doing massive amounts of OAC or something like that.
Old 03-07-2010, 02:45 PM   #3
Coach Sommer

Default Excessively Sore Elbows Are Not Acceptable

Quote:
Troy Kerr wrote, "... I completed my 30 seconds of work with the full back lever. Today my elbows are still sore ..."
Excessively sore elbows are not acceptable and you body telling you that you are doing too much. If you continue pushing past your elbows' recovery ability, you are going to give yourself an impressive case of elbow tendonitis. You will need to either reduce the intensity of your movement (e.g. choose an easier BL variation) or reduce the volume of work you are performing (time under tension).

Also increasing 5 seconds per week is too aggressive a progression.

Yours in Fitness,
Coach Sommer
GymnasticBodies.com
Coach Sommer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 02:51 PM   #4
Steven Low
Super Moderator

Yeah, agreed with the above.

SOME elbow soreness is normal -- it should dissipate within about 24 hours or less.

If you're getting some more chronic elbow soreness you need to cut back.
Old 03-07-2010, 03:57 PM   #5
Troy Kerr

Steven-
1)I left my flip cam at my apt. at school, I won't have it for another few days. Would a picture suffice?
2) I agree with you on continued training of the back lever. I have been working on it since early august, but with my school schedule it has been difficult to stay consistent with training. If I were however to skip training the back lever, what would you recommend to replace it?

Coach-
I realize your a busy guy, but if you happen to get back on here, what would you recommend as opposed to my 5 second a week increases?

In regards to the soreness, it was nothing extreme like severe aching. Just enough soreness to make me aware of it. I was not sure if it was something to be concerned with or just a reaction to the sudden increase in intensity. I appreciate both of your input gentlemen.
Troy Kerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 04:06 PM   #6
Steven Low
Super Moderator

multi-plane pulling variations