Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Community > Community & Events

Old 03-14-2010, 12:16 PM   #1
Jay Ashman

Default Job offer I couldn't refuse

I was working for myself for a long time as a trainer, so when I saw this opportunity come up I had to go after it.

I got hired at a local gym (large gym with expansion in mind) as a trainer/director of special programs (sports conditioning and CrossFit - they are doing to put a "box" in the gym and go after that market as well and I'll be the man to have the say in programming and marketing). And trust me when I say when this CF box is up and ready, it will not be the typical "chippers and once a week strength work" box... It will be a lot better than that.

The income and advancement opportunity is amazing, of course the hours are long. M-Th I'm there 12 hours a day, F-Sat about 4 each. But they have an incredible system of generating clients for PT and the numbers are there, it isn't the typical gym where you go in and a trainer has to scour for leads, they create leads out of every member with the way they do it.

Of course now I have to train at 5AM and pack a lot of food to munch on throughout the day, and my only day I have for free time is really Saturday afternoon and Sunday. But such is life... especially living on Long Island, it isn't cheap to live here and quite frankly I can reach FAR more people working for this place than I EVER can on my own.

My website pretty much tells any local clients to stop by the gym to train with me, and a few people have so far.

The good side is that I am offline a lot more, hence I have a life. .

I always prided myself on doing it my own way and being independent, but this was too good of an opportunity to pass up and I can make my mark a lot better, and bigger, this way. Plus I have the 100% backing and faith from the owner. That says a lot.
Jay Ashman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 01:03 PM   #2
Robert Callahan

Congratulations!

Seems like a great opportunity
Old 03-14-2010, 01:57 PM   #3
Wayne Riddle

Sounds like a cool gig, good luck and hope it works out for you.
Wayne Riddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 02:50 PM   #4
Steven Low
Super Moderator

Nice. Good luck!
Old 03-14-2010, 03:05 PM   #5
Jay Ashman

thanks... it is a great opportunity. I'll keep you informed on what we are doing there. Right now we are building a 40 yard by 15 yard turf field, we are ordering prowlers, sleds, oly bars and bumpers for the sports training. I also have two nationally ranked 13 and 16 year old sisters (swimmers) as clients right now.

This is a challenge because my only experience in the pool is as a lifeguard, I never swam competitively so most of my training for them will focus on power, shoulder strength/power, back strength, and building lower body strength endurance and power as well. If anyone has any tips they know of, feel free to share them.
Jay Ashman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 04:53 PM   #6
Robert Callahan

Sounds like you are on the right track with strong shoulders. Most common injury for Swimmers as they get older is shoulder problems, which is similar to most overhead sports, so the stronger those shoulders can be the more protected and injury free they will be.

One thing to keep in mind is that you will get the most bang for your buck at improving swim times by improving the power you generate off your turns. A good flip turn and explosive push off the wall is what separates good and great swimmers. So nice strong and powerful squats are of HUGE benefit to swimmers!!!

Probably stuff you already knew, but thought I would throw it out there

Last edited by Robert Callahan : 03-14-2010 at 10:25 PM. Reason: misspelling
Robert Callahan is offline   Reply With Quote