Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Nutrition > Paleo Diet

Old 03-22-2010, 12:42 PM   #1
Renee Lee

Default Gluten Intolerance and Negative Test Results

Robb's blog and podcasts have many testimonials as to how removing grains, legumes and dairy have completely reversed their IBS, Ulcerative Colitis, and assorted other GI problems, even though they have tested negative for Celiac. I know that it's completely within the realm of probability that even if you've tested negative for Celiac, there may still be an underlying gluten intolerance, but I don't think I've ever seen an explanation as to why that is. Can somebody shed some light?

A friend of mine has serious GI issues, has been in and out of the doctors office for years, is negative for all the tests and they don't know what's wrong with him. I suggested that he cut out gluten/dairy/beans, but he responded with, "they tested me for that, i'm not celiac or lactose intolerant." I asked him what he had to lose to try it my way for a month, but he's not ready to listen yet. I figured having an explanation would help my case.

The celiac test tests for certain antibodies that are released when gluten appears in your system, right? How would the antibodies be absent if you're intolerant?

(this information would also be helpful for my NP aunt that continues her passive aggression whenever she notices me avoiding gluten)

Thanks guys!
Renee Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 01:57 PM   #2
Garrett Smith

Read and share. This lab actually tests for gluten sensitivity/intolerance, direct to the consumer.

The celiac test is the oldest test still used in "modern" medicine. Wonder why? Well, what do you think would happen if the numbers of people who are gluten-sensitive actually all stopped eating wheat? The economy would tank, that would be one thing...

Also, saying someone is either "celiac" or they are totally fine with gluten would be like saying someone is either "diabetic" or they have no problems with their insulin/blood glucose. There is an infinite grey area.
Garrett Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 12:28 PM   #3
Brian Shanks

Funny thing, we initially did the gluten test from Enterolabs for my wife. It came back positive for gluten intolerance. We got her off of gluten and she was fine, for a while.
She had our second child about a year and a half ago, and troubles started again. Went back to doctor and he decided to test her for gluten. Came back negative. He said she didn't have an issue with gluten. I will be the first one to vouch that 30 minutes after a mistake, the family knows about it. They did a blood test, Enterolabs does a stole test.
We are still trying to diagnose her current issues, she is going in to get a fructose test in a couple of weeks.
No more kids, the first-gluten, the second-unknown

Just wanted to give my input. From what I read the stole test is more accurate then the blood test.

Brian
Brian Shanks is offline   Reply With Quote