Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Fitness, Strength & CrossFit

Old 02-18-2007, 09:56 AM   #1
Derek Simonds

Default Thoughts on SGBDL and Linda, Seal Challenge and Shoulder Press

A couple of thoughts from the last few days.

1) I substituted SGBDL for DL in Linda on Thursday and used 185 LB's (my current BW) and my back is still on fire today. When I say my back I mean every single part from my neck down to my lower back. I definitely understand why this could be considered one of the best lifts for total body work.

2) My kids and I went to the pavilions at the Busch race yesterday. One of the exhibits was from the Navy. They had a Seal Challenge set up where you could compete against a retired Seal in Pull Ups, Push Ups, Sit Ups and a Cargo Net Climb. There were 2 teenage kids doing it when we walked into the area and the retired Seal was putting them through the paces. Both of the kids played for their HS football team and it was embarrassing how many push ups and situps they could do. When it came time for them to do the Pull Ups they didn't want to and my son says I will do them. So the Navy guy says go ahead and show these boys how to do Pull Ups. I lift him up and he snaps off 3.

We sat there for a while and watched the people go through the challenge. It was embarrassing what people could actually do. After a couple more people went Jr and I squared off and went at it head to head. He did 80 Push Ups in 2 minutes which tied the record by the crowd, he did 73 Sit Ups in 2 minutes and 5 Pull Ups. The crowd was going nuts and they were cheering for him the whole time. There was a group of guys that was yelling 2 more 2 more the whole time. It was really kind of funny for me as I was shredded from pushing it real hard on Thursday and was doing it for the bonding with Jr, but I still wanted to be competitive. I hit 68 Push Ups and 73 Sit Ups in the time limit. It made me think about training specificity and some of the GTG principals we talk about. I don't train Push Ups unless they are in a WOD or we do them for a warm up at BJJ, Sit Ups I do all the time but not as many as I can in a row. Do any of you guys GTG through out the day with P/U or S/U?

3) I did the Crossfit Total yesterday and just like most under trained lifters I am continuing to make tremendous progress in my Squat and DL. I am struggling with the Press. I am at 115 LB's and that is the same amount as I have lifted the last 3 times. Once again I don't train the lift specifically but in the mix with the WOD's. As a general rule when you have a sticking point in any of your training do you add additional work to help get past your current limit? I am real happy with the progress I am making in all of my leg and compound lifts just not happy to not be progressing on the Press.

Anyway those are some of the random thoughts running through my head in the last couple of days.

http://westvolusiawellness.com/
Derek Simonds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2007, 01:02 PM   #2
Scotty Hagnas

Derek-

1) SNGDLs are the real deal!

2) It is always amazing how out of shape the "in shape" people are..... I do GTG work frequently, it works. Not so much on high rep stuff, but gymnastic strength stuff, etc.

3) You'll need to do some specific work on your press. You might try some light warmup presses as part of your warmup, then do some low volume press work prior to the WOD. 2X5 or 3X3 will be plenty at your stage. Keep the volume low, and do the press work around twice a week.

Scotty Hagnas
CrossFit Portland
Scotty Hagnas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2007, 06:28 PM   #3
Frank Needham

Sounds like you and the boy had a great time Derek, way to go!
Old 02-18-2007, 07:48 PM   #4
Steve Shafley

The press really responds to (hold onto your hats now)

Lots of pressing, including incline and bench pressing, but primarily overhead pressing and push pressing.

Increases in LBM and overall weight gain.

Maintaining a lean 141lb physique at 5'11" isn't very conducive to pressing (just an example, not bagging on anyone)
Steve Shafley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2007, 09:34 PM   #5
Grady McDonald

Default HSPU's

The Wolf might chime in but I remember his stating (or something to the effect) that in his Capoeria days he was pressing 10-15lbs over BW w/o training in the press.

55 x BW SNGDL = FMF
Grady McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2007, 01:06 AM   #6
Jason Lopez-Ota

What's SNGDL and FMF stand for?
Jason Lopez-Ota is offline   Reply With Quote