Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Fitness, Strength & CrossFit

Old 06-03-2010, 08:47 AM   #1
henry whitaker

Default Critique my current program

Hi folks,

Would love to get some feedback on the current general program I'm using, which borrows heavily from Gant's (and others') posts on the subject.

My main goal is to reach a 2x bw squat (350#) and 2.5 bw deadlift (~440#) within the next six months. Currently I am probably at around a 325# sq and 390# dead for a 1 rm (mabe more). Secondarily, I would like to maintain some modicum of conditioning and proficiency/strength in my oly lifts, press, and bench, but these can take a back seat to the big two.

Current general template, which I have been using for about two months:

M: Squat, bench.

W: Sq Snatch/Pwr CJ + WOD

F: Deadlift, press, weighted/unweighted deadhang pullups.

S/Su: usually nothing but sometimes throw in more oly work or another WOD.

For the slow lifts I am using 5/3/1. Still making some progress, although squat and press are starting to stall out. For the oly lifts I am a little less systematic but try to vary volume, intensity, and light, days, usually using singles or doubles. Generally keep the WODs between 3-8 minutes and try to choose them so that they don't interfere with everything else. I have toyed with doing more oly lifts before the other lifts on M and F, but I seem to do better when I break it up more and put the oly work on a different day, especially since I am often time-limited. My job keeps me pretty busy and don't get as much sleep as I should so I think I generally do better training ~3x per week.

I am doing very little strength assistance work -- some ab work here and there, some pistols, but generally keeping it pretty simple. Maybe I could be doing more here.

I would be grateful for any thoughts or suggestions for improvement.

Henry
henry whitaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 09:44 AM   #2
Grissim Connery

sounds pretty straight forward and reasonable. very to the point.

i guess the only question is have you been progressing already on this program or not?
Grissim Connery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 09:57 AM   #3
Gant Grimes
Super Moderator

Looks good. You might want to do press before DLs. A heavy press requires a stable back. The DL can exhaust your back for DL but not vice versa.

If you're stalling on 5/3/1, knock some weight off on your next cycle and make smaller jumps. It's a mind trick at first because the weights don't matter as much as the reps. 5s week is money week.

If your BS and DL are slowing--and you're pressed for time--add 3x10 good mornings on Monday while you're warming up for bench and 3x10-15 reverse hypers on Friday while you're warming up for pullups. Hell, you could superset GMs with bench warmups, get the benefit of both, and even realize a slight conditioning effect.

Also add a chicken breast or two on top of your daily diet and get another 30 minutes of sleep each night. Both of those add up over a week.
Old 06-03-2010, 01:47 PM   #4
henry whitaker

Thanks for the responses. I seem to be making some progress but will know for sure when the stalling happens once and for all. Those seem like good tweaks and I will give them a try.
Old 06-03-2010, 06:26 PM   #5
Dave Van Skike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gant Grimes View Post
Looks good. You might want to do press before DLs. A heavy press requires a stable back. The DL can exhaust your back for DL but not vice versa.

If you're stalling on 5/3/1, knock some weight off on your next cycle and make smaller jumps. It's a mind trick at first because the weights don't matter as much as the reps. 5s week is money week.

If your BS and DL are slowing--and you're pressed for time--add 3x10 good mornings on Monday while you're warming up for bench and 3x10-15 reverse hypers on Friday while you're warming up for pullups. Hell, you could superset GMs with bench warmups, get the benefit of both, and even realize a slight conditioning effect.

Also add a chicken breast or two on top of your daily diet and get another 30 minutes of sleep each night. Both of those add up over a week.
what he said...

plus. ditch all that other crap.

JK. i know Gant has had great luck advancing multiple qualities at once for his sports, but there is a big mental balancing act that plays in here. If I were in your shoes, I'd simplify the hell out of it. you're trying to get better at three things. I'd pick one, then an understudy, third place rides in the back of the truck. i don't believe in periodization as much as prioritization. if the big lifts are slowing, WOD gets hind tit. if the oly lifts are getting crummy, go to program minimum on the 531 stuff and up the frequency and volume of the the Olympic lifts and expect to just hold your ground on the others.
Old 06-07-2010, 03:10 PM   #6
Gant Grimes
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Van Skike View Post
what he said...

plus. ditch all that other crap.

JK. i know Gant has had great luck advancing multiple qualities at once for his sports, but there is a big mental balancing act that plays in here. If I were in your shoes, I'd simplify the hell out of it. you're trying to get better at three things. I'd pick one, then an understudy, third place rides in the back of the truck. i don't believe in periodization as much as prioritization. if the big lifts are slowing, WOD gets hind tit. if the oly lifts are getting crummy, go to program minimum on the 531 stuff and up the frequency and volume of the the Olympic lifts and expect to just hold your ground on the others.
Dave is absolutely right. It can be done, but it takes some savvy.

I've just gotten grizzled to the point that if someone wants to get better at X, Y, and Z and they're actually training X, Y, and Z in some way, then I'm just amazed to the point I ignore the other bits.

I suppose I've come to accept 20% programming slop.
Old 06-08-2010, 12:10 PM   #7
henry whitaker

Nothing wrong with taking out the slop if necessary. I guess if lifts are stalling the conditioning and/or oly lifts may need to go out the window.

Is there a smarter way to do the conditioning if it is to be done? I think that Wendler appears to advocate doing some conditioning (hill runs and prowler) as a supplement to 5/3/1.
Old 09-08-2010, 06:50 PM   #8
Brian Negrotto

Default My own programming

I am a recovering CrossFitter, been clean now for about 10 days. I did main page for about a year but I wasn't getting the results I wanted. That, coupled with the idiots on the CrossFit message boards, I've had enough and have decided to try out my own programming. I was originally inspired by Gant's Hybrid stuff so I have mimicked a lot of it. I am not doing a true 5-3-1 thing, I don't feel as though I am at a sticking point yet that I need to break through. I am keeping a log of my workouts and progress at http://grotts.wordpress.com. Any advice would be greatly appreciated as this is my first attempt at this. The basic layout of it is Monday- back squat, bench press Tuesday-deadlift Wednesday-rest Thursday-Press Friday- Front squat and weighted pulls Saturday-optional Sunday-rest. I feel as though my lower body strength is way ahead of my upper body strength. My 1RM deadlift is 515#, while my shoulder press 1RM is 170. Anyway, like Gant's original model I am doing some gym skill work, then some oly lifts, than the ME. 3 times a week, usually M,T, and T I do a metcon. Questions I have right off the bat, what would you recommend for oly lifts. They are something I am not very familiar with as far as when and what to program, only having done them when they came up in a WOD. I am fortunate right now in that I am deployed and lucky enough to meet a dude in the gym that was a good teacher, helped me with some technique issues I had. Also, been programming 3x5 and 5x3, and then picking one lift per week to do a 7x1 with. Any thoughts on that? Rep/set scheme is kind of a mystery to me at this point. I hope this makes sense as I have been up for a while, but, thanks ahead of time.
-grotts
Brian Negrotto is offline   Reply With Quote