Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Fitness, Strength & CrossFit

Old 09-11-2010, 03:06 PM   #1
Brian Negrotto

Default Seeking prog advice

I am a recovering CrossFitter, been clean now for about 14 days. I did main page for about a year but I wasn't getting the results I wanted. That, coupled with the idiots on the CrossFit message boards, I've had enough and have decided to try out my own programming. I was originally inspired by Gant's Hybrid stuff so I have mimicked a lot of it. I am not doing the 5-3-1 thing, I don't feel as though I am at a sticking point yet that I need to break through. I am keeping a log of my workouts and progress at http://grotts.wordpress.com. Any advice would be greatly appreciated as this is my first attempt at this. The basic layout of it is Monday- back squat, bench press Tuesday-deadlift Wednesday-rest Thursday-Press Friday- Front squat and weighted pulls Saturday-optional Sunday-rest. I feel as though my lower body strength is way ahead of my upper body strength. My 1RM deadlift is 515#, while my shoulder press 1RM is 170. Anyway, like Gant's original model I am doing some gym skill work, then some oly lifts, than the ME. 3 times a week, usually M,T, and T I do a metcon. Questions I have right off the bat, what would you recommend for oly lifts. They are something I am not very familiar with as far as when and what to program, only having done them when they came up in a WOD. I am fortunate right now in that I am deployed and lucky enough to meet a dude in the gym that was a good teacher, helped me with some technique issues I had. Also, been programming 3x5 and 5x3, and then picking one lift per week to do a 7x1 with. Any thoughts on that? Rep/set scheme is kind of a mystery to me at this point. I hope this makes sense as I have been up for a while, but, thanks ahead of time.
Old 09-14-2010, 08:18 AM   #2
Gant Grimes
Super Moderator

I'd personally change the DL and weighted pullups day. DL is rough after squats. Then again, you're pulling 515, so something is working for you. Might be a non-issue.

The 3x5/5x1/7x1 was a scheme to extend (and slow) linear progression on a mixed S&C template. I don't have enough info to recommend anything either way.

If you want to learn the OL, and you have someone to teach you, start light, learn form, and go from there. Otherwise, power cleans or power snatches every 60 to 90 seconds for 10-15 minutes is nice for practice and increases work capacity a good bit.

After bench, do 5x10 overhead barbell presses. Start LIGHT (less than 50% press 1RM). On press day, do 3x15 straight bar dips right after pressing. Your numbers will go up.
Old 09-16-2010, 07:17 PM   #3
Brian Negrotto

Thanks for the advice, I have already implemented it. I actually decided to make the change regarding the backsquat and deadlift being back to back the other day. It wasn't that big of an issue, but more often than not my lower back would be kind of smoked on DL day. For now, I have swapped back squats with my front squats, as those tend to be less taxing on my lower back. As far as your suggestion of adding the dips after my presses, did it yesterday. Do you reccomend adding some weight to make it a 15RM? I felt like I still had quite a few more in me. Again, thanks for the help.

Last edited by Brian Negrotto : 09-16-2010 at 07:45 PM. Reason: becaue I am a gramatical idiot
Brian Negrotto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 08:42 AM   #4
Gant Grimes
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Negrotto View Post
Do you reccomend adding some weight to make it a 15RM? I felt like I still had quite a few more in me.
In that case, yes.
Old 09-19-2010, 05:05 AM   #5
Jay Ashman

one thing I have learned over the years and Wendler talks about in 5/3/1 is the need for balance. I would do the weighted chins on the same day as press and do a lot of horizontal rowing movements to accompany the bench i.e. barbell rows, Kroc Rows, etc.
Jay Ashman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 08:37 AM   #6
Brian Negrotto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gant Grimes View Post
The 3x5/5x1/7x1 was a scheme to extend (and slow) linear progression on a mixed S&C template. I don't have enough info to recommend anything either way.
Currently, I am taking an idea from CFSB and my plan is to do 3x5 or 5x3, sticking to one or the other until I feel that progression is slowing, then use the other to break through, so to speak. You had replied that you didn't have enough info to recommend one or the other for any rep scheme, what info is required and where could I educate myself more on the subject. Thanks.
-grotts