John Thomas

Default ---

---
John Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 12:12 AM   #2
Derek Weaver

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Thomas View Post
Does this look good -- too much volume? some glaring hole in the program? etc.
This is the hole in the program

Quote:
I am trying to put together a strength training program that incorporates some of the crossfit benchmark workouts as "finishers."
Derek Weaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 06:47 AM   #3
Júlíus G. Magnússon

I wouldn't want to do ME lower body the day after Grace. If you removed the Grace on Thursday it sounds pretty good. Though Fran every week for six week sounds like six weeks of suck (especially on the same day as ME squats, lunges and SGDL).
Old 10-11-2010, 10:26 PM
John Thomas
This message has been deleted by John Thomas.
Old 10-11-2010, 06:54 AM   #5
Allen Yeh

The link didn't work for me.

I googled this:
http://www.defrancostraining.com/art...rds-part3.html

He gives a Strength variation and a Strength and speed variation as well as a washed up meathead one. If you used the 2nd variation there is a day on Saturday for GPP so that day you could pick your finisher from the named workouts if you wished. Otherwise I'd recommend sticking with what Defranco has recommended.

It seems pretty crazy that people are already adding things to programs or changing them in a manner that it doesn't look like the program anymore when you are done. Give the WS4SB an honest run through as he has laid out first for a few months and then go to your variation if you needed. by the end of a few months.
Allen Yeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 08:23 AM   #6
Geoffrey Thompson

You really think you want to do Fran every week? The answer is that you don't want to do Fran every week.

I like the original template's ideas for conditioning. Sled pushing, some sprinting, that kind of stuff. If you really want to do CrossFit(TM) stuff, pick something more sane than 3 benchmark workouts per week, unless you really dial down the intensity, and you should probably do different ones each week.
Geoffrey Thompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 08:42 AM   #7
Gant Grimes
Super Moderator

Quote:
The point to all this is to eventually hit the following goals:

--Weightlifting--
Deadlift: 500lbs
Squat: 400lbs
Bench Press: 300lbs
Shoulder Press: 200lbs
--Agility--
Vertical Jump: 30in
Broad Jump: 10’0”
Double-unders: 90 (no miss)
400m: 1:10min
--Bodyweight--
Pull-ups: 20 (dead hang)
Dips 30
Push-ups: 100
Sit-ups: 110
--Crossfit--
Fran: 5min 3min
Grace: 5min 3min
Annie: 10min 7min
Kelly: 22min 18min
(I included two number on the crossfit stuff because, unlike the others, I really have no idea what's plausible)
Do you want to do all the crap you mentioned above, or do you want to hit these numbers? If the numbers are the important thing, than CF isn't the best way to get there (even for the CF benchmarks).

All of these are attainable except (possibly) the jumps. Unless you can already jump a good bit of that, a smattering of strength and GPP work won't get you there.

Edit: Is that your real name?

Last edited by Gant Grimes; 10-11-2010 at 08:49 AM.
Gant Grimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 10:30 AM   #8
James Evans

John

I reckon you should give it a try for a month and let us know how it goes.

In fact, if it's a success you should drop Joe a line too.
Old 10-12-2010, 01:51 AM
John Thomas
This message has been deleted by John Thomas.
Old 10-12-2010, 02:18 AM   #10
Derek Weaver

I'm not Gant, but I'll take a stab and contribute a little more than my original post.

I wouldn't think that the 30" vertical would be a huge problem. The 10 foot broad jump may be though. That's a healthy leap.

What I think most people have noticed is that the best way to get good at Crossfit is to not do Crossfit. Get strong first. Work speed, explosive power etc. Then, practice Crossfit.

When you look at the best Crossfit competitors, they often were actual athletes before joining the cult. Several played at a decent level. I think that Lipson guy played college baseball or something. Not sure.

Either way. There are very few CF'ers who are top notch who started as CF'ers and only do CF.

Josh Everett played DII or DIII football from what I remember.

I'd suggest you go with the Strength and Speed Template since it'll enable you to work some low level conditioning and.... speed. Select your exercises from the options intelligently. You could use the bench marks as indicators if you really wanted to. I wouldn't suggest it, but there are worse ideas.

Maybe run through the workouts over a couple weeks. Take a light week to work in the WS4SB program. Work intelligently for 3-4 months, deloading and rotating exercises accordingly, then retest.

If you're concerned with some of the CF stuff, a little technique work as part of your warm up wouldn't hurt.

The good thing is that if you're getting all "Westside" with a program, they built their original ideas on exercise variety. If you have exericse ADD like myself, a template like this may suit you very well. Tons of options to keep you entertained while you're improving.
Derek Weaver is offline   Reply With Quote