Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Training Logs

Old 12-13-2010, 08:45 AM   #1
Grissim Connery

Default No more exercise ADD

I'm trying to be more diligent with a set program. I have a bad tendency do workouts primarily because they're fun and not based on what i need. Everyone has a log, and i figure this will keep me on track better.

Here is the scheme i'm gonna run with for the next 12 weeks. i may make a few changes, but i'll reassess where i'm at after that time period.

-Exercise split:
--- 4 days exercise days
--- Work to Rest split
------- Option 1: W/R/W/RR (repeat workouts every 9 days)
------- Option 2: W/R/W/R/W/RR (repeat workouts every 10 days)

Option 1 gives more rest, which i may need b/c of BJJ.

Day 1:
- Squat (generally 5x5)
- Planche and FL work
--- 5x15sec holds of current progression
--- 5x5 assistance exercise (OA pushup or ab roller crosses, weighted deadhang pullup)
KB (short rest periods)
--- 5x15 double KB swings
--- 5x5 double KB jerks
--- 5x2 TGU each arm

Day 2:
- HS work
--- 5x1min holds stomach to wall
--- 5 x handstand walks for distance
--- various presses to HS from floor or handbalancing platform
--- 5x3 HSPU variation
- BL - 5x15s holds of current progression
--- ice cream makers - 5x5 with current FL progression @ horizontal
- Lsit holds (vary whether straddled and such) - 5x30s @ current progression
--- 5x5 HLL variation
- jump rope 30 min

Day 3:
- CJ 3x3, 3x1
- OHS 3x3
- DL (generally 5x5)
- repeat planche and FL work + assistance
-Running (one of the following)
--- 3x1 mile; 2 minute rests
--- 6x0.5mile; 1 minute rests

Day 4:
- Ring work
--- cross holds - 5x 10-15s of current angle in progress
--- support holds - superset with cross holds
--- 5x5 RTO dips
- BL - 5x15s holds of current progression
--- ice cream makers - 5x5 with current FL progression @ horizontal
- Lsit holds (vary whether straddled and such) - 5x30s @ current progression
--- HLL 5x5 current progression
- 30 min jump rope

- BJJ and S&C balancing
---- BJJ days: I can typically train BJJ 4 days a week before i'm too sore. If i train 5+ days a week, i can't do any other workouts. Although one may argue that i should choose to do 5+ instead of workout, i find that the the physical and mental drain is a little too demanding. thus i generally do 5+ BJJ days only if a competition is w/i 3 weeks.

for me, BJJ typically causes the following when done in excess:
- intense soreness and aching of internal rotational muscle in the core in addition to the psoas
- aching mixed with a deadened, numbing of the upper body posterior muscles
- on occasion, really puffy feeling in the lats

these are my cues to taper BJJ down

S&C obviously causes soreness directly in the muscles worked. aside from that, my cues to taper it down are the following
- hot, inflamed shoulders throughout the day
- aching, tightness, and a general feeling of instability on the posterior portion of the upper pelvis, both internally and externally
- brutally tight lats
- foot pain b/c calves don't seem to be blunting impact as well
Grissim Connery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 07:56 AM   #2
Derek Simonds

I am excited to follow your workouts. Do you find that the gymnastics work you do gives you enough upper body push and pull stimulus? Besides the KB Jerks I didn't see any upper body pressing with weights. I think RTO means rings turned out for the dips which is really hard for me.

Looking forward to following along.

http://westvolusiawellness.com/
Derek Simonds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 08:38 AM   #3
Grissim Connery

Workout done yesterday:

Followed workout #3 but i only did the bar work and the static holds. i didn't have time for running or the assistance gymnastic work because everybody is throwing holidy parties that i have to attend.

I missed BJJ because of the direct party conflict, but i squeezed in the workout beforehand.

I suck at jerk. i'm debating whether i should go about direct work on it. my shoulders do pretty well nowadays. one reason for my focus on straight arm static presses or holds is because my shoulder generally feel fine doing them (except OHS and snatch which can feel scary sometimes). dynamic motions requiring bending at the elbow can be iffy on the shoulder. thus i typically do handstands with minimal HSPU work.

i added OHS back in although these sometimes make me nervous. i find that they can add a lot of stability to my shoulders if not overdone. i am probably going to stick with these for a while since i'd like to start snatching again. i don't know if these will really care over to the jerk well. i feel that the problem is in the hole, not at lockout. i'll reassess at 12 weeks and then decide how to adjust.

DL - got to my 3rd set of a 5x5 and my back felt funny when i set down the 4th rep. i decided to stop here for safety. i don't think it's serious. it just needs a break.

Static holds: FL is improved consistantly. I dropped back down my planche progression today to try to get my arms elbows and spine a bit straighter as well as push my chest out more.
Old 12-15-2010, 09:00 AM   #4
Grissim Connery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek Simonds View Post
I am excited to follow your workouts. Do you find that the gymnastics work you do gives you enough upper body push and pull stimulus? Besides the KB Jerks I didn't see any upper body pressing with weights. I think RTO means rings turned out for the dips which is really hard for me.

Looking forward to following along.
my shoulders feel fine with straight arm presses/supports. i have to play all actual presses with bending elbows by ear. surprisingly, dips typically feel fine, so i like to push them harder.

i'm playing around at the moment trying to find a good upper body press to stick with (other than dips). RTO pushus are great, but i'm only setting the rings up one day, and the dips that day seem to be enough already. HSPU and OA pushups are ideal b/c of the lack of equipment, but sometimes my shoulders just aren't in the mood after a lot of straight arm stuff. another option i'm leaning towards is a little toy i made a while ago. i took 2 ab rollers and spread the wheels out so you can grab the middle. using these to do cross-like pushups is tough, and you don't have to spend all the time setting rings up.

for the RTO dips i normally start in an RTO support. when i begin the dip, my arms naturally pronate a bit until they are neutral/hammer grip. typically then i focus really hard to make sure that i get them turned out by the time i break parallel. i find that if i arc my back at this point, it helps the rings slide behind me. it feels a lot like a korean dip but easier since you don't have a bar in the way. i normally hit the bottom and spend a second in a bent arm support with RTO. normally the same thing happens as i ascend where the rings begin to pronate as i break parallel.

at the moment, i'm viewing this as a progression because it gets more reps. i can do one with RTO the whole time, but not for a 5x5.

i am under the impression that for crosses, the back should not arc, so i'm guessing this is bad form. i'm hoping to eventually cut out any pronation as well.

eventually i want to try this variation where, at the bent arm support, you press your head a few inches forward (towards a maltese) before you come back and press back up. Gregor showed this on a video on the GB forum using parallel bars. it looks pretty sick.
Old 12-16-2010, 12:03 PM   #5
Grissim Connery

Yesterday:

Went to BJJ. Had trouble with a wrestler guy. He's brutally strong. i think i need to gain a little more confidence in my arm drag.

i need to work on the technical omoplata escape more. i mainly have some confidence issues there because they can catch triangles in the middle of it.

People commented that i looked skinnier. I weight myself after practice and was down 6# from 195# to 189#. I'd probably be 185-6# in the morning i'm guessing. I didn't really do anything other than jumprope and squat more, so that was surprising. I hadn't planned on losing anything.
Old 12-18-2010, 02:22 PM   #6
Grissim Connery

Yesterday:
Did day 2 (i just switched position's of day 2 and day 4, so it's messed up right now).

i took out the HS presses. i may just make that portion freestanding HS work and just keep the presses embedded w/i all HS work. i also changed the distance HS walks to the wall walks that coach sommer recommends. i noticed that these are safer for you body once you've started to tire out.

i hadn't tried full HSPU in a while. i was pretty burnt out from my other HS work, but then i tried a set and got a few. i recorded the second set. in the video, i only got 2 reps and then decided to do a negative. next workout i'm gonna try the full HSPU while fresh to see what my numbers are. this is fun since i hadn't really done them before on a platform without kipping or using stretch rebound to get up.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KNWSt9XGnDY
Old 01-04-2011, 12:09 PM   #7
Grissim Connery

no post for a bit. went back home for winter break for 2 weeks; did a combination of whatever jiu jitsu was available around the holidays and filled in the gaps with kettlebell work.

although i said i wanted to stick with my plan, i already need to gut it. my shoulders have been flaring up a bit again, and i think i just need to add a lot more strength to my upper back. maybe my lats take over too much. i'm going to try to see a pt again and get a new assessment on them.

in addition i got joel jamieson's book, so i need to finish it and figure out how to implement it.

i'll post up a tentative plan soon.