Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Other

Old 03-31-2011, 12:02 AM   #1
Manuel Jericho

Default Is barefoot running via vibrams a scam?

according to this article (# 4) http://www.cracked.com/article_19130...rk-at-all.html

there hasn't been alot of research on barefoot running to be the only and safest way to run especially for a flat footed person such as myself.

Any truth to this?
Manuel Jericho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 04:02 AM
Cyril Sack
This message has been deleted by Cyril Sack.
Old 03-31-2011, 01:10 PM   #3
Patrick Donnelly

Vibrams - "practically barefoot" - $80
Barefoot - "actually barefoot" - $0

If for no other reason than that, it's a scam. I'll admit, they had me buying into it for about a year and a half, but now I just go barefoot essentially 24/7. It's better than Vibrams.
Old 03-31-2011, 03:25 PM   #4
Derek Weaver

Cracked isn't the first site to reference the flat foot issue. Flat feet can be problematic when it comes to barefoot stuff.

Vibrams are nice as a thin layer of protection. I've definitely stepped on a couple of things that hurt like hell, but would have hurt much more had I actually been barefoot.

Biggest issue with barefoot or vibramz or whatever is too much, too soon, especially on hard surfaces like a track or asphalt.
Derek Weaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 09:31 AM   #5
Garrett Smith

I find the concept of wearing clothes, particularly when it is summertime in Arizona, to be a bigger scam than Vibrams.
Garrett Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 10:01 AM   #6
Steven Low
Super Moderator

Read this and this

http://www.eatmoveimprove.com/2009/1...-dysfunctions/
http://www.eatmoveimprove.com/2010/1...g-on-the-feet/

Shoes with lots of padding and shoes that are supposed to be fitted to your feet (supinated, pronated, etc) are the actual scam
Old 04-05-2011, 11:18 AM   #7
Daniel Dean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manuel Jericho View Post
for a flat footed person such as myself.
Are you flat-footed because of a physical injury or deformity like the guy in the DailyMail article, or are your feet simply weak and atrophied? There are tons of anecdotal stories out there of people dropping one or more shoe sizes after they got their feet strong again and the muscles pulled their arch back into shape.

I agree with Patrick that the only "scam" is the notion that you must have VFFs. I find any zero- or near zero-drop shoe with minimal cushion and a generous toe box to be fine (and more convenient to take on/off, and not attention-drawing).
Daniel Dean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 08:34 PM   #8
Steven Low
Super Moderator

There is some variation in the population with people having lower arches than others.

But nowhere is the prevalence of flat feet in populations with shoes compared to the prevalence in cultures that use minimalist or no shoes.

Most people that use padded shoes have very atrophied muscles like said above.

Barefoot is preferable to VFFs obviously... but VFFs or any type of decent bendable flats work fairly well.
Old 04-07-2011, 02:19 AM
Cyril Sack
This message has been deleted by Cyril Sack.
Old 04-07-2011, 07:17 AM   #10
Joshua Williams

Hey all, longtime lurker but this is the first time I thought I had something worth posting.

I started out in high school as a cross country runner using normal squishy shoes such as Nike Pegasus or Asics 2150, 2160, etc. and used those types of shoes for a long time. After I discovered crossfit a few years ago I started getting into the minimalist shoes and picked up some Onitsuka Tigers as my workout and running shoe (Do-wins for lifting days). The tigers were ok for running but it took a lot of getting used to the lack of padding so my gait had to change. As a side note I haven’t really done crossfit Per Se in a while. My training goes through cycles of Oly focus, running focus, rock climbing focus, and Mountain Bike focus...sometimes concurrently.

Then I read “Born to Run” and got psyched about barefoot running and went and picked up some VFF Sprints. For running only; didn’t really feel like they were suitable for anything else really. I built up some mileage in them then I started running in them all the time only on trails. Not really taking them on the road very often only one or two road races in the VFF. I really enjoyed how the VFF changed my gait but yeah I agree with a lot of people that they look kind of weird so I didn’t really wear them in public often, just trail running. The places I ran there were usually rock shards, short stubby roots, and other things that would really suck to run on while being barefoot for real. The VFF Sprints were really good at providing that “barefoot” feel while adding a layer of protection although there obviously wasn’t much tread so they were a little slippery turning corners on leaf cover trails. As a side note a friend let me try on his VFF Trek Sport and its sole was a lot thicker/stiffer and I didn’t like it as much. Anyway…I ended up “stubbing” my pinky toe while running in the VFF and it turned out to be a broken toe which took me out of lifting and running for a while.

After that incident healed I quit running in the VFF irrationally thinking I’d break another toe which would keep me away from the barbell again…however I really did like the way minimalist shoes felt for me. I also didn’t really like the way I had to run “carefully” in the VFF. “Real” shoes just let you run much more confidently in uneven twisty terrain. Now I run in New Balance Minimus trail shoes and they feel like wearing really hefty socks with awesome traction and a very flexible sole. It isn’t a “barefoot” feel but it is the next closest thing that I’ve ever felt after a VFF, but for a minimalist shoe it is better than any VFF or Tiger. Although the Minimus is expensive too I think it was worth it for _me_ for the conditions and they way that I run.

I may have gotten off track a little, but to directly address the topic I think that real barefoot running on grass like a golf course or soccer field is probably best. And if you build up your calluses then running on smooth asphalt is actually decent too because there usually aren’t random rocks or roots on a nice smooth road. Vibrams are good if you want to run _as if you’re barefoot_ but the conditions are poor i.e. many small rocks, hidden roots, stumps, etc. Good minimalist shoes are, IMO, the bees knees because you get good foot protection and they still let you run sort of like you’re barefoot. The extra $ for the protection provided by Vibrams or Minimalist shoes is worth it to me, even if overpriced, for my trail conditions. If you have optimal running conditions then go for barefoot, just ease into it if your feet aren’t used to it.

-Joshua

Last edited by Joshua Williams : 04-07-2011 at 07:19 AM. Reason: finished a sentence
Joshua Williams is offline   Reply With Quote