Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Olympic Weightlifting

Old 02-10-2012, 09:50 AM   #1
Albert Bush

Default Snatch critique

I was hoping to get some help with my snatch. Unfortunately the one coach I've been able to find in my area is only training one person (olympic hopeful), so I'm out of luck there. I would really appreciate any input I could get from the more experienced lifters on this forum.

I know I have a lot of work to do, but not sure what the biggest problems are, or how I should prioritize the things I need to work on. I feel like I have trouble getting under the bar to catch it right with heavier weights, I definitely struggle locking my arms out, and my bottom position needs work (torso too upright, etc.).

These three videos show me working up to a new max (have since done 5 more kg). Links are WFS unless you consider an ugly snatch to be inappropriate.

http://http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iJXC5EtvCoE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gQlb8-1plCE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ujPLcKLjh6A

P.S. I know I need shoes, but I haven't been able to afford them. Finally scraped the cash together so they're on order. Just getting into this stuff and I'm completely hooked. I want to get better.
Albert Bush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 08:23 PM   #2
Matt Morris

nice work.

I'd say that your footwork and bottom position are pretty darn good. The bar is getting in front of you from the start, though. I would say to keep your set up pretty much where it is, but make sure that your weight is back on your heels by the time the bar is at or past your knees.

I'm not sure if this is causing your butt to rise too much, or if your butt rising is forcing the bar forward. Either way, keep your butt down a bit longer.

Finally, try to be a bit more patient with the second pull so that the bar makes contact a little higher on your thigh.

Even with all that, I think you have a very solid foundation to build on. Keep it up!
Matt Morris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 08:51 AM   #3
Albert Bush

Thanks very much, Matt. I really appreciate the feedback and will definitely make some adjustments this week.

Sure wish I had found this stuff earlier in life, but oh well.
Old 02-17-2012, 10:34 AM   #4
Jason Bourgeois

Albert,

I've been training at Final Fitness for 2 years now. What time do you get to the gym?
Jason Bourgeois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 12:41 PM   #5
Albert Bush

Hi Jason,

Sorry I'm just now responding to this, but I've been away. I started there about three months ago and go early in the mornings. I got some initial instruction from Derrick and now am on my own. The crossfit affiliate near my house just started doing an olympic lifting class on wednesday nights, so I may go to that from time to time, but it's kind of messing with my schedule so may be limited. I'm definitely not getting enough help/instruction, but I can only afford so much.

I've seen some of your videos and talked to Derrick about you. Really impressive stuff. I'll obviously never get to your level of strength, but it would be nice to have a fraction of your technique.
Old 03-01-2012, 11:41 AM   #6
Greg Everett
Administrator

It's a good start. First of all, your torso is definitely not too upright - you're leaning too far forward in that bottom position. Lifting shoes will help a bit with that, but keep up w flexibility work in the ankles and hips.

Number one priority is fixing your pull from the floor. Your start position is not bad, but the moment you break the bar, you get into trouble. Your weight is forward and your hips shift up too much relative to the shoulders. Practice some halting deadlifts to the knee - break the bar with your chest up and immediately get your balance farther back over your feet. If you don't have this position/balance, the rest doesn't make much of a difference.

Because you're out of balance forward, you're forced to extend too early (right as the bar passes the knees), so you don't get a good extension, and remain out of balance. After you get the DL to knee squared away, DL to the upper thigh/hip with the shoulders still over the bar. You have to be able to get all the way up there with proper balance over your feet and your shoulders over the bar - from here, you can get a better explosive hip/knee extension, and you'll be able to get one that keeps you in balance and brings the bar in rather than forcing it out as is happening now because it's hitting so low on your thighs.

The turnover isn't bad - just tough bc of everything that happens before it. Get that first pull under control, and your speed and balance and even receiving position will immediately improve.

"Without a doubt the best book on the market about Olympic-style weightlifting." - Mike Burgener, USAW Senior International Coach

American Weightlifting: The Documentary
Catalyst Athletics
Performance Menu Journal
Greg Everett is offline   Reply With Quote