Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Olympic Weightlifting

Old 04-29-2012, 09:37 AM   #1
Jason Gordon

Default Looking for tips to improve first pull

Hello all,

I've been into weightlifting for a few months now, and I've become aware that my first pull, well, stinks! Here's a video of a (power) snatch at 60 kg (my PB is 64 kg), so it definitely exposes flaws:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YMwRd5KGfsM

Any advice as far as positioning or cues go will be appreciated.
Jason Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 04:38 PM   #2
Greg Everett
Administrator

You have pretty long legs, so no matter what, you're going to have a bit more trouble than the average fellow. That being said, there are a few things I would suggest to improve the first pull:

1. Keep stretching so you can set and keep a better arch in your back right from the start and through the entire pull.

2. Engage the lats a bit better to both help extend the back and push the bar back in toward your lap.

3. Push the bar back sooner - right as it passes the knees. You're allowing a bit too much space prior to the bar's contact at the hips.

4. Squeeze the shoulder blades back and a bit up and really use the lats to push the bar back and up as you start your second pull - that will help you get the bar up into your hips better without having to bend your arms as you currently do to get that position.

Good luck

"Without a doubt the best book on the market about Olympic-style weightlifting." - Mike Burgener, USAW Senior International Coach

American Weightlifting: The Documentary
Catalyst Athletics
Performance Menu Journal
Greg Everett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 09:36 PM   #3
Jason Gordon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Everett View Post
You have pretty long legs, so no matter what, you're going to have a bit more trouble than the average fellow. That being said, there are a few things I would suggest to improve the first pull:

1. Keep stretching so you can set and keep a better arch in your back right from the start and through the entire pull.

2. Engage the lats a bit better to both help extend the back and push the bar back in toward your lap.

3. Push the bar back sooner - right as it passes the knees. You're allowing a bit too much space prior to the bar's contact at the hips.

4. Squeeze the shoulder blades back and a bit up and really use the lats to push the bar back and up as you start your second pull - that will help you get the bar up into your hips better without having to bend your arms as you currently do to get that position.

Good luck
Thank you Greg! I am a proud owner of your book, and I'm always finding new points to pick up on each time I read it.

With myself being longer-legged, do you recommend any change from the standard starting position of "bar over the base of the toes"?
Old 05-03-2012, 10:20 AM   #4
Greg Everett
Administrator

No, you're fine in that position - and it will get better w a bit more flexibility.

"Without a doubt the best book on the market about Olympic-style weightlifting." - Mike Burgener, USAW Senior International Coach

American Weightlifting: The Documentary
Catalyst Athletics
Performance Menu Journal
Greg Everett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 09:49 PM   #5
Jason Gordon

Hi again Greg.

I've been incorporating your suggestions into my snatch over the past few weeks, and here is a link to my snatch one month after the above video was taken. (Looking back, I had forgotten just how bad my arm bending was!)

http://youtu.be/SF4h-2CUhCk

I'm feeling nitpicky about my arms not being dead straight when the bar reaches my hip pocket. I have read that a *slight* arm bend is acceptable, but at my neophyte stage I'd feel better about my arms being totally straight.

What are your thoughts about my improvements? Are there any serious concerns at this point?
Old 05-25-2012, 08:32 AM   #6
Jason Gordon

I don't necessarily won't only Greg to reply, so I'm going to repost in a new thread so that anyone can feel free to post.