Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Olympic Weightlifting

Old 06-07-2012, 12:32 AM   #1
Caleb Chiu

Default start position...

http://www.mobilitywod.com/2011/12/e...er-part-2.html

a lifter sent me this video from Kelly Starrett and asked me my opinion.

i sent her a reply already, but would like to have the input of others with more experience to gauge my own response.

thanks.
Caleb Chiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 10:34 AM   #2
Greg Everett
Administrator

On what part of it?

"Without a doubt the best book on the market about Olympic-style weightlifting." - Mike Burgener, USAW Senior International Coach

American Weightlifting: The Documentary
Catalyst Athletics
Performance Menu Journal
Greg Everett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 09:40 PM   #3
Caleb Chiu

Greg, sorry for the late follow-up.

i guess more specifically Kstar’s idea that the ideal setup is from the bottom up, rather than the top down.

my response would be it depends. for those with relatively little experience with the lifts, one of the biggest things is consistency with the start position. in order to develop consistency, it’s a good idea to keep things as simple as possible.

so despite the fact that i do like that Kstar prioritizes the back, you’re adding an extra step to the setup with the movement to tension your hamstrings by lifting your hips. with a top down approach, you minimize this extra movement by effectively tensioning your back/hamstring/hips all @ the same time, in one movement.

it seems similar to me to the argument for (and against) dynamic starts in your book.

once your start position is consistent, it's fine to explore more dynamic starts or other ways to gain more tension (or selective priority) in your start position.

if you watch Diane from a year ago, she's doing a nice, top-down, static start.
http://vimeo.com/album/123139/video/14933548

any corrections, additions, additional observations?
Old 06-15-2012, 10:54 AM   #4
Greg Everett
Administrator

I agree with you that it depends on the athlete. Unfortunately there isn't a magic formula that works for everyone.

With Diane, she's always been very strong - her limiter was always technique and consistency, so the static start made sense. She didn't need the boost of a dynamic start to help move the bar, and the simpler the movement, the more consistent she could be and therefore the more successful both with a given lift and with the development of technical proficiency long term.

I do think starting bottom-up dynamically makes it a bit harder to be consistent with your position at the moment the bar separates as compared to starting from the top, but in any case, I suppose I would say that if you have a problem properly setting your back, you're arguably at a stage of lifting technique at which a static start is probably appropriate. I would say that I'd rather work on a lifter's flexibility than work around it with a more complicated start. However, again, it's really case-dependent and some athletes may find this helpful.

Another thought is that someone who has difficulty getting a sound back arch from the top is likely to have trouble setting a sound back arch in a squat, so I don't know that this would necessarily work for the average inflexible athlete. Definitely something that an individual would need to experiment with.

"Without a doubt the best book on the market about Olympic-style weightlifting." - Mike Burgener, USAW Senior International Coach

American Weightlifting: The Documentary
Catalyst Athletics
Performance Menu Journal
Greg Everett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 01:07 AM   #5
Caleb Chiu

thanks for the prompt reply. i'll pass your answer on as well.