Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Olympic Weightlifting

Old 06-28-2012, 06:56 AM   #1
Bob Bartholomew

Default Hamstring Pull

So I strained my hamstring about 8 weeks ago. I thought it was minor and something that I could work through. Now that I am through with the denial phase, and have caused further damage, I am finally going to listen to my girlfriend who is DPT and stop stressing it so that it will heal. Unfortunately this means no Oly lifting for a while, including squats or any other lower body exercises. Anyone have any advise on what to do to at least maintain my upper body strength? I canít even do push presses because the dip & drive strains the muscle. Iím thinking of just doing an upper body bodybuilding type routine. Thanks
Bart
Bob Bartholomew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 09:15 AM   #2
Matt Morris

I would go with a gymnastics approach...work on your front/back levers and L-sit and handstand. I've found that stuff to be fun and have decent transfer. I think handstands especially transfer well to the jerk b/c each movement is an open end movement, and switching which end is open (ie your hands in a jerk, or your feet in the handstand) really kicks your CNS up a notch.

Also, have you seen the "Bill Star" method of rehab once you can start moving again. I like that quite a bit.

Next, I can't recommend voodoo bands (or the cheap tire tube version w/ a la crosse ball cut in half) enough!!! That has really helped my hip flexor out. Check out mobilitywod & voodoo band for more info!

Finally, the latest P-menu has a prescription for supplements to take when trying to maximize that kind of recovery. Check it out!

Best of luck!
Matt Morris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 06:38 AM   #3
Allen Yeh

I had one last January, and like you I didn't get it checked out. I took it easy on my legs as much as possibly but I didn't want to get it checked out as we were doing all our pre-mobilization stuff to AFG and didn't want to get pulled from the deployment. So I grinned and bore it when I had to and in retrospect I wouldn't have said anything still I just would have made sure I was doing more for my leg when I had the time to. Rather than thinking just rest would be the answer.

Now things I would recommend would be check out following items, you definitely want to keep the blood flowing there and not sit around too much as that will slow healing as much as doing too much. Depending on where the strain occurred will depend on how much utilizing the voodoo bands will help. Mine was relatively high near the Tuberosity of the ischium or the "sit bones".

Mobility WOD has a few things in regards to hamstrings that I found helpful in rehabbing it.

As for what your options are now:
1. Gymanstic/bodyweight stuff - Great if that is what interests you but I know for me not so much
2. Upper Body BB'er - Nothing wrong with doing some upper body specialization when you can't utilize your lower body as much due to an injury. This could be broken up into all sorts of ways depending how often you want to train, by bodypart, or push/pull or by groupings.
3. Upper Body strength focus - Could focus on bench, weighted pullups, overhead press with a hypertrophy focus for the accessory lifts.
day 1 - weighted pullups and overhead press + accessory stuff
day 3 - bench and rows + accessory stuff

All kinds of variations that can be throw in there, it just depends on your goals, your time available, and what mood you are in currently.
Allen Yeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 07:29 AM   #4
Tyson Wright

+1 voodoo band that sh*t
Tyson Wright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 08:18 AM   #5
Bob Bartholomew

ok guys thanks for the info. Looks like I'll be doing some upper body BB
At least I'll look good at the beach this summer!
Bob Bartholomew is offline   Reply With Quote