Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Olympic Weightlifting

Old 07-28-2012, 02:17 PM   #1
Brian Rottinghaus

Default Ugly snatch needs help

I appreciate any suggestions people have for my snatch. Have spent last 5 weeks doing light technique work (haven't snatched anything over 60kg) and really working shoulder mobility. Retested snatch today. Filmed attempts are 75, 82, 87 and 90kg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r5y_I...e_gdata_player

I think bar is in front of me on second pull then I'm chasing with my hips, causing me to bump it way out in front of me, jumping forward to try and chase the bar, not working out very well.

I appreciate your time looking at this and any recommendations
BTW, Greg I own and have read your book man, still need help troubleshooting this one though
Brian Rottinghaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 02:57 PM   #2
Jason Gordon

First, your (power) snatch isn't ugly.

Your self-diagnosis is correct. As you go into the second pull, your weight goes forward onto the toes and you have to jump forward to receive the bar.

Two basic things are to keep a tight back and use the lats to pull the bar into your body, and to stay balanced over your feet throughout the pull (you should never look or feel like you'd fall on your face if you could magically pause the movement at any point).
Jason Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 05:37 PM   #3
Steve Pan
Administrator

Not bad, good speed on those lifts. Now we have to work on your positioning and timing. The first thing I notice in all of the lifts is you swing the bar out past the hips. This pulls you forward and you tend to jump forward and turn that bar over a little to far back on some. The next thing that stands out is the timing on your lifts gets delayed as the weights go up. You have a slight hesitation at the hips where you need to speed up and change directions.

To fix your positioning I suggest using a combination haulting snatch dead lifts and snatch high pulls. In the haulting snatch dead lifts you should focus on keeping the shoulders over the bar up to that high hang position and getting onto those heels. In the high pulls you want to keep those same positions in the haulting dead lift but apply some speed (as long as you can keep good position!), focus on extending back and up (shoulders behind the hips slightly as you extend), and keeping that bar close as you pull high.

To work on your timing I would suggest working on 2 and 3 position snatches from the top down. Focus on changing directions quickly in those hang positions (as they force you to be quick) and then try your hardest to keep that timing the same from the floor.
Steve Pan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 07:20 PM   #4
Brian Rottinghaus

Jason and Steve, thanks a lot for your time and suggestions. Will keep on working on improving
Brian Rottinghaus is offline   Reply With Quote