Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Fitness, Strength & CrossFit

Old 04-12-2007, 04:10 PM   #31
Andew Cattermole

When I think Health and Longevity I think in terms of quality of life experience rather then genetic bias.
For most a small amount of exercise is enough to keep them "healthy" but more importantly the exercise should be linked with something of enjoyment and some sort of fulfilment, possibly stimulating to themselves and involves contact with a close social based support group.

I would think that any Health based program should have at its focus Nutritional concerns at the core
Mental relaxation, visualisation and focus protocols
Joint mobility and body awareness
Socially interactive exercise as above.

The mental and physical awareness and feeling of social connection, I believe play a very a major role in health and physical well being.
Andew Cattermole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 04:22 PM   #32
Mike ODonnell

well said Andrew....yes I believe it is important also.....as I tell people...sell the treadmill and buy a dog with a leash...
Old 04-28-2007, 06:58 PM   #33
kevin mckay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yael Grauer View Post
I sell water filters.
What kind of filters do you sell?
Old 05-01-2007, 04:27 PM   #34
Grady McDonald

Good Action on this thread.
Grady McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 05:12 PM   #35
Yael Grauer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin mckay View Post
What kind of filters do you sell?
Multipure: http://www.multipureco.com/

I particularly like selling their countertop units here: http://www.multipureco.com/mpad.htm because they are affordable and I can get people a $100 discount.
Old 05-03-2007, 09:18 AM   #36
Robb Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grady McDonald View Post
Good Action on this thread.
I agree. This intersection of health, performance and longevity is super interesting IMO.

This paper form Seiler site is pretty interesting as well:
http://home.hia.no/~stephens/maxpower.htm
It makes the point that we have several elements of our fitness that will deteriorate with age but maintaining muscle mass, intensity and consistency of training decrease or halt these rates of loss.

Robb's Blog
Robb Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2007, 09:23 AM   #37
Mike ODonnell

I have personally focused more towards making a lifestyle of health....which means probably only 2x a week with weights....all "cardio" is done on a trail or mountain bike (or hockey)....implementing IF and more insulin lowering techniques....and not being afraid to have some beer and wings on the weekend.....let's see...I no longer obsess about food....feel great all day....performance is up and have gained muscle and lost fat......holy crap....there is something to this........
Old 05-05-2007, 11:46 AM   #38
Robb Wolf

Here is another interesting piece to this whole thing. Intensity of exercise appears to be the most important element of preventing age related performance decline. Here is a nice look at this by Clarence Bass:
http://www.cbass.com/Intensity.htm

This is looking at the differences in performance drop-off between sprinters and endurance athletes. Clarence also mentions the longer careers of athletes like throwers, likely do the the frequent recruitment of the largest motor neurons which appears to prevent the death of these motor neurons.

I remember reading this article years ago...not long after I first found Art Devany's work and it obviously influenced my thinking and I think has rattled in my subconscious on things like the Power Bias article.

Now the Evolution and running thread was interesting...obviously the persistence hunting played a huge role in our ancestors strategies. A key point in that discussion was that the human hunters just had to push animals hard enough to overheat the animals. This pace ranged between a sprint and a trot and for any given individual they were not doing this longer hunt all that often.

Just thinking out loud here...not sure if I have too much of a point....just ideas.

I'm pretty comfortable with the notion that strength and power training can produce a residual effect of significant endurance. The opposite is not the case. Again I'm thinking about this from a health and longevity bias...obviously if one wants to be a stud endurance athlete intervals are not going to be the only part of the story.

This may just be rehashing the power bias stuff but...how much mixed modal work should one do to optimize this health/longevity bias? I'd argue for some, but certainly not all. I'd argue for some max strength work for the major movement planes, some sprint work, various intensities and distances, some ballistics like jumping, throwing, hitting and kicking...i think Ross Enamait calls these "power combos"...2-4 movements then a significant rest before the next combo. From there just generally being active and having fun.

Oh! Something else! Shaf mentioned not buying the neuroendocrine element of training as being that big a deal for the training effect. Now I do remember from some of Kramers work that only the muscles worked during a session benefit from the NE response...but the NER is predicated on activation of the largest motor neurons and big movements. I also remember vaguely that the large motor neurons and the attendant fast twitch fibers are quite sensitive to androgen levels...if androgen levels drop...those things die. I need to think about this but it looks like a chicken and egg feed back loop. You need to train the large motor neurons to produce a NER and increase androgen levels AND the large motor neurons are dependant on androgen levels...

Anyway...just had some ideas. Please pick this stuff apart/comment on it.

Robb's Blog
Old 05-10-2007, 01:29 PM   #39
Robb Wolf

I poured my SOUL out here and nobody has a thing to add or comment on?!

Robb's Blog
Old 05-10-2007, 01:37 PM   #40
R. Alan Hester

Robb,
I plan on commenting, I just need a moment to collect my thoughts. I just finished moving, so I have been away form the forum for 9 days. So, keep your chin up, soldier
R. Alan Hester is offline   Reply With Quote