Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Fitness, Strength & CrossFit

Old 11-19-2006, 08:35 PM   #11
Mark Joseph Limbaga

Is it just me or the Afterburn training looks like a more advanced versin of HIIT?
Mark Joseph Limbaga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2006, 10:44 AM   #12
Ron Nelson

Steve,
Thanks for the reply, I appreciate your insights.
I've done XF, off and on, for the last 2 years, so the high rep stuff might not challenge me without the heavy lifting prior to. I think I'll still give the program a go once I print it out. I just can't read that much off my screen or I'll go bug-eyed.

Ron
Ron Nelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2006, 03:06 PM   #13
Danny John

No, it's not HIIT. Some of the cardio looks like it, but it is not. The complexes have been around since Gajda's stuff in the 1960's. (PHA) I also like Steve Javonek's work on this, too, for O lifters. Alwyn told me he went to one bar complexes for the problem that gym lifters have in keeping more than one bar "free" with the idiots who hang around spas. I have always been a believer in one bar...although I have dozens and dozens now...as the key to success for the athlete. (Same argument I give for Kbells: fewer options, more work)

I think Alwyn really gets it. I merely have to look in the mirror and I'm actually serious here.
Danny John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2006, 06:30 PM   #14
Mark Joseph Limbaga

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny John View Post
No, it's not HIIT. Some of the cardio looks like it, but it is not. The complexes have been around since Gajda's stuff in the 1960's. (PHA) I also like Steve Javonek's work on this, too, for O lifters. Alwyn told me he went to one bar complexes for the problem that gym lifters have in keeping more than one bar "free" with the idiots who hang around spas. I have always been a believer in one bar...although I have dozens and dozens now...as the key to success for the athlete. (Same argument I give for Kbells: fewer options, more work)

I think Alwyn really gets it. I merely have to look in the mirror and I'm actually serious here.
I was talking about the running intervals coach., as the intervals AC presents kinda bares a resemblance and runs parallel to HIIT. The complexes are really brutal and very effective for fatloss... plus, I noticed my femals clients love doing them.
Old 11-21-2006, 10:44 AM   #15
Ron Nelson

Took Steve's hint and tried some metcon after some heavy, low rep lifting (heavy for me, maybe not some; it's all relative).
Did some DL's at 260 and front squats at 145. Started at 5 and worked down to 3, then tried the "Helen" workout (400m, 21 KB swings, 12 pu's).
My time was very slow (18 min.) from the prior work, but the result was that I was wiped out like never before.
Conclusion: I can see how the Afterburn would be more effective with the heavy work thrown in.
Old 11-21-2006, 10:51 AM   #16
Steve Shafley

I like heavy work, so the signalling is there (see my post in the mass gain section for my explanation of that phrase) then the high rep upper/lower alternating supersets of big movements, (PHA! Manly Weight Loss! Meltdown! Afterburn!) then if I have anything left, some kind of metcon or interval work.

This can get done is a surprisingly short amount of time.

What's even more fun is adding a complex at the beginning to "warm up".

Yeah, it's a warm up if you do 3-4 complexes of about 8 reps with:

bent row
hang clean
"thruster" (front squat + push press, but at light weights it's a thruster)
back squat
good morning

With a progressively heavier bar. I've reached 95# on this, but regretted it. I think Danny John mentioned his bar weight is 65#, and that's much more reasonable until your conditioning kicks up.

I would like to say that I was warmed up (for sure) but also that kind of fast and furious work negatively impacts the heavy stuff done afterwards. It's fun though.
Steve Shafley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2006, 12:16 PM   #17
Danny John

Oh yeah, I started at 95, too and then asked myself "this is the first thing I do?" So, I backed off. These weeks, I am back to 95 and maybe 115...but the reps are less...
Old 11-23-2006, 10:15 AM   #18
Ron Nelson

I'm all for fun in the gym, so I tried a few sets of complexes as a "warm-up" last night. I scoffed at 45#, but stuck with it just to see where I am.

I'm not as far in the conditioning as I thought. 45# was plenty for now, doing 8 reps per set (clean, front squat, push press, back squat, good morning, snatch press, overhead squat) for 3 sets.

I consider it "fun" when people in the gym stare at what I'm doing. I got that last night doing the complexes and then when I was doing an EDT set of dumbell snatches (3 reps each side) and band pull-aparts.

Thanks for the ideas, Steve.
Old 11-25-2006, 08:50 AM   #19
Danny John

Not my next article, but my next next article, is on complexes. I think any workout with one bar has merit. The other day, my assistant strength coach asked to do my workout. He was finished by complex five...and we still had the workout, the cardio, the abs and the finishers to go....
Old 11-25-2006, 05:22 PM   #20
Mark Joseph Limbaga

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny John View Post
Not my next article, but my next next article, is on complexes. I think any workout with one bar has merit. The other day, my assistant strength coach asked to do my workout. He was finished by complex five...and we still had the workout, the cardio, the abs and the finishers to go....
We'll be waiting to see what you have in store Coach