Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Fitness, Strength & CrossFit

Old 06-27-2007, 02:28 PM   #1
Mark Fenner

Default Chin/Dip Density Progress

Hi folks,

A while ago (in a thread Far Far Away), I mentioned Ethan Reeve density approach to dips/chins. I decided to DO SOMETHING with it. I put together a couple spread sheets which I've attached. The first sheet (they are both in the same file) is a general power/work calculator for ascending reps/descending sets with fixed time.

The second sheet is my progress using this system over the past three-ish months. You might ask why I haven't made my goal in that time. If you look in the sheet, you'll see two events that explain any lack of progress. Even so, I feel I've made very good progress with this method. Generally, I do a squat/military press workout and a bench/row/DL workout in addition for four workouts a week ... in addition to judo and tkd.

Take a look, enjoy, comment, critique, discuss.

Regards,
Mark
Attached Files
File Type: zip chindip.zip (8.2 KB, 33 views)
Mark Fenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2007, 04:29 PM   #2
Robb Wolf

Mark!

I'm pretty bleary eyed by this stage of the week but it looked like the trend was a dramatic increase in work performed and power output...looks good.
something like that would be a perfect lead-in for 3-4 weeks of near maximal strength work8x3's, 10x2's in the 85-95% range.

the rebound to lower volume might translate into some significant strength gains.

Robb's Blog
Robb Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2007, 05:42 PM   #3
Dave Van Skike

Mark,

Do you mean Ethan Reeve of Wakeforest fame?
Old 06-28-2007, 05:29 AM   #4
Mark Fenner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Van Skike View Post
Mark,

Do you mean Ethan Reeve of Wakeforest fame?
Dave,

Thanks, I fixed that. Steve Reeves was a Golden Age bodybuilder. I remembered Reeves and had to fill in a first name *laugh*.

Regards,
Mark
Old 06-28-2007, 05:42 AM   #5
Mark Fenner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robb Wolf View Post
Mark!

I'm pretty bleary eyed by this stage of the week but it looked like the trend was a dramatic increase in work performed and power output...looks good.
something like that would be a perfect lead-in for 3-4 weeks of near maximal strength work8x3's, 10x2's in the 85-95% range.

the rebound to lower volume might translate into some significant strength gains.
Robb,

Thanks for the look and comments. Definitely a great trend in work/power. I'm currently working on hitting the 7 sets of 6 (with a longer term goal of 4 sets of 10 with 1 minute rest). Once I hit 7 of 6 in both orders (chins first, dips first), I'm going to do a small taper and then try maximal sets of both (my goal is 20/20). I think I should be in the 15-17 range but I could even be a bit higher (or lower).

After I do a rep test, I definitely want to incorporate a bit of variety. I was thinking of three types of chin/dip workouts: (1) density based high-rep (what I'm doing now), (2) low-volume/high-intensity (3 of 3), and (3) mid-volume/mid-intensity (8 of 3, 5 of 5 with ~5RM and ~7RM respectively). Since my goal is still rep based, I'd plan on doing 4 rep workouts, 2 low volume workouts, and 2 middle workouts over three weeks.

It might be easier to follow your suggestion and just switch to a different training block for 3-4 weeks. And I do like weighted chins!

Regards,
Mark
Old 06-28-2007, 10:58 AM   #6
Dave Van Skike

Well, it's not really my suggestion as much as it is my question. It seems like it shoudl work, lot's of people suggest it...I just haven't met anyone who has really done it to positive effect.

I'm leaning more and more towards just trying it. My goals, like yours are so specific and measureable it might be a good expirement.