Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Fitness, Strength & CrossFit

Old 12-08-2006, 10:07 AM   #1
Nick Cummings

Default Starting the PM Mass Gain Program

I'm starting the PM MGP as outlined in the issue tomorrow. I am eating Zone with 5xfat and a postworkout meal including grape juice, creatine, and whey. I am considering adding BCAA to that. My daily consumption usually totals 5000kcal but once every two weeks or so they fall short and end up near 3600-3800kcal for a day.

I am 6'3" and weighed 194lbs this morning prior to eating. My body weight goal is 215. I plan to have reached this weight by May 4, 2007. This gives me 21 weeks which would be enough time to run three cycles of this program or adjust after having completed the first seven weeks. Body composition is currently a nonissue as my gym calipers me at 8% although I suspect I am closer to 10%.

My current maxes in lifts relevent to the program include: Clean 215lbs, Strict Press 155lbs, and Weighted Chin 70lbs. I plan to update this post at least every two weeks and welcome any comments/criticism.
Nick Cummings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2006, 10:12 AM   #2
R. Alan Hester

Good luck, Nick. I am very intrigued by that workout and am eager to watch (read about) your progress.

Alan
R. Alan Hester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2006, 10:17 AM   #3
Steve Shafley

Consider taking BCAAs or half your post-workout drink (or maybe just some of the whey) before training.
Steve Shafley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2006, 10:44 AM   #4
Mike ODonnell

Nick,

Sounds like a solid plan, you should...No I take that back, WILL see tremendous results. Monitor your body fat....you might have to watch the amount of PWO sugars if you are insulin resistant and find more fat piling on. Poloquin says he uses a mix of Whey and L-Glutamine (like 30+g) as his PWO linking the L-Glutamine as an insulin stimulator (which is why you want high GI sugars for the anabolic affect) without adding the excess sugars to an insulin resistant person. I'm sure the body fat will go up a small %, but shouldn't be more than 3-4%. You can always lean back out those few % and save the muscle later.

What kind of lifting cycle are you planning on doing? 5x5? 3x8? 10x10? etc...of course a periodized program is the best solution for max strength and size.

And Steve makes a good point about some BCAA before a workout so they are already in the system for the muscle to suck up like a sponge.
"The fundamental idea to take away is that BCAA, in particularly leucine, reverse the inhibition of translation produced by resistance training. In reversing this inhibition, BCAA will allow for increased muscle hypertrophy through greater levels of protein synthesis."
from a related thread over at t-nation on BCAAs http://www.t-nation.com/readTopic.do...dra?id=1367018
Mike ODonnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2006, 08:29 AM   #5
Robb Wolf

Nick-
Please do keep us posted on your progress. Your goals look totally reasonable.

Mike,Steve
Great info!

Robb's Blog
Robb Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2006, 02:34 PM   #6
Nick Cummings

Wow, thanks for all the support and suggestions. I have ordered some BCAA and plan to use them pre or post workout. I am honestly not overly concerned with fat gain as I am thin. I plan to follow the plan from the Performance Menu article on mass gain to the letter for the first seven weeks. I will post any new PR's and or weight gain in a few weeks.
Old 01-07-2007, 04:40 PM   #7
Mike ODonnell

Just curious, was there ever any updates on the Mass Gain Program as outlined in the PM and the results?
Mike ODonnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2007, 07:15 PM   #8
Nick Cummings

Quick update. I am up to 201 and have added 20lbs to my weighted chin. I have not tested my other relevent lifts as I have been lifting out at my school's gym which restricts me from performing certain lifts. They frown on anything overhead which really put a damper on the PM Mass Gain program. I have been playing with Rippetoe's programming from Starting Strength and am progressing decently. I hope for some new PRs in the coming weeks. Honestly I have been less consistent with my diet then I would like. I am refocusing on my diet and will update again if anything interesting happens.
Old 02-19-2007, 07:59 PM   #9
Robb Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike ODonnell View Post
Just curious, was there ever any updates on the Mass Gain Program as outlined in the PM and the results?
Mike-
This is by far our most popular issue...but we have heard relatively little feedback. What we have heard has generally been favorable...although one chap on the Crossfit message board used the program as a "cutting" method...go figure!

Robb's Blog
Robb Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 12:01 PM   #10
Elliot Royce

I haven't been following exactly the PM diet but have been averaging 250g protein, 300-400g carb, and around 150-200g fat. This works out at something like 4000-4500 calories per day. Frankly I find it hard to consistently consume this much in healthy calories, not least because my stomach is just not used to eating so much.

I've combined this with SS lifting and O lifts, with only hockey for metabolic conditioning. My weight shifts up and down but this has translated into around a 7-10lb gain over 2 months which is around 3% of body weight. As soon as I stop eating, though, it seems to start heading south.
Elliot Royce is offline   Reply With Quote