Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Olympic Weightlifting

Old 07-13-2007, 12:21 PM   #1
Steve Shafley

Default Ivan Abazhiev in the US

http://americanweightlifting.org/index.htm

Mixed feelings about this. I think the issue of subpar OL in North America is one of recruitment and not getting enough athletes, not necessarily that of coaching.

I am looking forward to seeing how this goes and how the "Bulgarian" system will transfer to US lifters with US responsibilities.

The "workshops" I list below actually seem very reasonable.

Quote:
Come... Train with the Team

We are currently accepting applications from athletes interested in training with the team.

Introduction to the Bulgarian System

The 1 Month Package Includes:
> 2 Daily Lifting Sessions 5 days per week with Mr. Abadzhiev
> 3 Meals per day by the team chef
> Full Custom Nutrition Program by team nutritionist
> Cost: $1,000.00 per month

The 2 Week Package Includes:
> 2 Daily Lifting Sessions 5 days per week with Mr. Abadzhiev
> 3 Meals per day by the team chef
> Full Custom Nutrition Program by team nutritionist
> Cost: $650.00

If you are interested email your resume to contact@americanweightlifting.org
Steve Shafley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007, 12:56 PM   #2
Leo Soubbotine

Too bad I don't live in Cali. That's very reasonable.
Leo Soubbotine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2007, 12:42 PM   #3
Rick Deckart
Banned

I was told that Rolf Milser once got an invitation to train with the bulgarians---he stayed there two weeks, after week one he was enthusiastic, after week two he was tired, when he came back he couldn't continue with his training as he was toast for a while. He reportedly loved the bulgarian system but simply couldn't cope with it, at least that's what I was told from one of the national german coaches.

So anybody intending to make that trip should check his ego at the door. Personally I think I wouldn't survive that month, tripleling volume of sessions and doing it high intensity style, with competition weights, or maxes of the day...
Rick Deckart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2007, 06:58 AM   #4
Rick Deckart
Banned

Default Just in case...

...you are wondering who Rolf Milser is:

http://www.chidlovski.net/liftup/l_a...t.asp?a_id=163
Old 07-15-2007, 05:25 PM   #5
Gary Valentine

"I was told that Rolf Milser once got an invitation to train with the bulgarians---he stayed there two weeks, after week one he was enthusiastic, after week two he was tired, when he came back he couldn't continue with his training as he was toast for a while. He reportedly loved the bulgarian system but simply couldn't cope with it, at least that's what I was told from one of the national german coaches.

So anybody intending to make that trip should check his ego at the door. Personally I think I wouldn't survive that month, tripleling volume of sessions and doing it high intensity style, with competition weights, or maxes of the day..."

----now this is an interesting topic as to coaching and programming. what a shame that the americans our going to flock to this guy in droves and continue their idol worship, not knowing the difference between damaging their bodies and developing them. more is better -not!
drugs. he used drugs on athletes that had to come to him as their job for their government. you never see the stats on the ones that were injured and didnt make it. that is no fault of theirs, and it does not mean anything negative about milser that he was smart enough not to stay with a workout that was incorrect for him.

a great coach is one that works with each athlete to improve them at each workout, not one that beats them up, drugs them up, and discards the ones who break. injuries and overtraining are the fault of the coach and the program, not a sign that the athlete is incapable of coping.

sorry, but drugs make a difference, and he has not proven that he can coach without them if in fact that is what he will be doing here. its a differnet world coaching natural lifters. the coach, and the athlete - must have patience. that is one quality of a Champion that these druggies have no experience with. -g
Gary Valentine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 11:50 AM   #6
Rick Deckart
Banned

I don't know anything about drugs but you get my point Gary. If somebody like Milser, a true elite lifter, literally breaks down after two weeks of exposure to bulgarian training something is wrong or missing in the equation, perhaps drugs, I don't know. I think one has to wait and see what good or not so good comes out of such an experiment.

Here in Germany the best lifters have up to 8 sessions a week but the two classical lifts are only a fraction of what is done. The cycles usually base on eight different excercises, the two lifts and six assistance exercises (back squat, front squat, rack jerks, clean pulls, snatch pulls, push press) and whatever the coach feels is necessary to deal with the individual weaknesses.
Old 07-25-2007, 05:10 PM   #7
Greg Everett
Administrator

Ok, here's the scoop -

Abajiev has been banned for life by the IWF. Any US lifter who trains with him will be banned for life from international competition. So make your plans accordingly.

"Without a doubt the best book on the market about Olympic-style weightlifting." - Mike Burgener, USAW Senior International Coach

American Weightlifting: The Documentary
Catalyst Athletics
Performance Menu Journal
Greg Everett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007, 05:34 PM   #8
Allen Yeh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Everett View Post
Ok, here's the scoop -

Abajiev has been banned for life by the IWF. Any US lifter who trains with him will be banned for life from international competition. So make your plans accordingly.
Wow, so you can be banned for just training with him?? That seems to be a bit harsh?
Allen Yeh is offline   Reply With Quote