Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Fitness, Strength & CrossFit

Old 08-01-2007, 03:55 PM   #1
Kevin Perry

Default So I was thinking about Personal Training...

Well I have been pondering this for several months or perhaps a year or two but im starting to give it real serious though right now. Since starting CF a little over 2 years ago i've wanted to get certified and get a group together. Although there are no individuals here into CF that I know of or fitness in general. Now im young only 20, in college for something I enjoy ( Dbl major in Anthropology/History) but I also enjoy fitness and more than once a couple people have asked me that I should look into starting an affiliate out here. Im really interested in it although one thing bothers me. I have no idea where to start. My biggest problem is like all of you im not a fan of commercial gyms and my interests lye solely with Crossfit and Oly lifting ( and I admit my experience is only with what I have taught myself by reading CF and PM).

For the Personal Trainers out there, did you start in a similar boat? And if so can you give some of your own experiences with this? Fitness is probably the only other lifestyle that I have a passion for other than the above. Im looking into the different certification credentials out there but it is a bit much figuring out which is which.
Kevin Perry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2007, 04:28 PM   #2
Mike ODonnell

Get a degree....get a day job....start PT on the side with income coming from somewhere else....

Otherwise be prepared to put in hours, time, sweat, blood, money, stress,.....etc....not to say it's not rewarding....just saying you can do it the hard way....or the Really hard way....

As for all the other business stuff....have a business plan on how you plan to make money including expenses, etc....just opening doors does not mean you will succeed....or may take a long while to turn a profit....so like I said, make it easier on yourself and keep a day job and do this on the side....and see where it takes you...the answers and markets to pursue usually just come to you....sometimes it's trial and error...or learn from those who already made mistakes and learned from them.....

In the end...if you do anything passionately...it will make you happy and with the right gameplan and not "winging it", it can make you money....just may not come in the timeframe you want it too....so have a backup plan for living expenses just in case...
Old 08-02-2007, 04:50 AM   #3
Kevin Perry

Has anyone here ever done personal training as a part time job while going through college? any success stories?
Old 08-02-2007, 06:23 AM   #4
Allen Yeh

I did, and it was great because of the flexibility the job allowed me to maintain with my class schedule but then there are the ups and downs of feast/famine i.e. more clients you can handle/barely enough clients to make rent.
Allen Yeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2007, 07:37 AM   #5
Mike ODonnell

Also keep in mind the bulk of your training will most likely be around work hours....from 5:30-7am and 5:30-7pm...
Old 08-02-2007, 09:12 AM   #6
Garrett Smith

I was a personal trainer during undergrad and medical school. I helped Ken start CrossFit SouthWest while I was in medical school and had some extra loan money to work with. It was all our own equipment.

After getting my medical practice off the ground, I'm now working with Noah Providence of www.providenceinstitute.com in an effort to get a Tucson CrossFit affiliate off the ground.

My suggestion, if you don't have deep pockets:
1. Secure a (relatively) steady income outside of training first. Learn how to save some money.
2. Get a basic trainer certification (NSCA, ACSM, NASM) and then get a basic training job. I worked at the Student Rec Center at the UA for around 3.5 years--weight room staff, group fitness (boxing and sports conditioning classes), personal trainer, and eventually head personal trainer.
2. Get your CF certification sometime in this whole process, after you get a basic training certification (you need that for insurance purposes).
3. Start obtaining basic equipment piece-by-piece at your house/garage. Train people as you can in that setting.
4. Make your dreams happen after that.

Hope that helps.
Garrett Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2007, 10:12 AM   #7
Robb Wolf

All good information above. i helped to start CF North out of Dave Werners garage. We all paid ~$100 month into a gear fund since we all reasoned that was a reasonable amount to pay for a place to OL, train CF and have access to rings. We progressed from there to a mini-storage and then i went to Chico when Nick and Dave moved to Sand Point.

My point being that you can grow things very slowly, out of a garage or carport initially and decide if you are going to jump in with a lease etc.

If you can do a road trip to someone who has an established CF facility (or something similar) that will really help a lot. The recommendation to have a business plan, think about how deep you want to go with this is very important. I love what we are doing but we made many, many mistakes growing the business. People like Rutman, Andy Petranek and Craig Patterson were instrumental in helping us figure out a business structure that works.

keep us posted...ask loads of questions.

Robb's Blog
Robb Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2007, 10:28 AM   #8
Mark Joseph Limbaga

And most of all, produce results for your clients.

Certifications will mean nothing if you cannot produce results.

Never stop learning as well.
Mark Joseph Limbaga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2007, 12:37 PM   #9
Kevin Perry

Well once im finished with some things out here I plan on making regular trips up to a Crossfit affiliate in NC and spending some time down there. I may actually be able to get help from another fitness facility out here which was tinkering with the idea of a Cf certification and affiliation but it would'nt be for some time. Thanks for all the replies, I'll be sure to constantly bug the crap out of you guys with questions.
Old 08-02-2007, 12:56 PM   #10
Mike ODonnell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Joseph Limbaga View Post
And most of all, produce results for your clients.

Certifications will mean nothing if you cannot produce results.
Bin-F'n-Go.....Well put and can't stress that enough....as your best advertising is someone walking around 30lbs lighter and when people ask what they did....well then you have people calling you day and night....Find your niche...whether it be sports performance....fat loss (huge enough market there) and become an expert at getting results. Forget all the fads and trends of core balance ball cone drills that all the junk certs and equipment company seminars are forcing on the average trainer...learn the effective ways to get results in your niche market and just do it.