Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Nutrition > Paleo Diet

Old 08-18-2007, 05:28 PM   #1
Leif Lake

Default resting heart rate/sinus-brady?

I wasn't sure where to post this one. My question is if a low resting heart rate could be Paleo related? I just had my Annual Physical which included 12 lead EKG and my RHH was a whopping 39bpm. Cool huh? They suggested I follow up with a cardiologist.(and I will) I wanted to see if anyone on here had any thoughts on whether this could be diet related. I Started about 4 1/2 months ago with the diet and feel great, Happy with results, like what I eat etc. Was a little sluggish the first month but no real issues since then. My BP was good 110/70 not dizzy except after sets of dead lifts or squats sometimes (that's normal right?) I am 200# 6'3" about 10%bf not doing wod's per say but compound and super sets-high intensity stuff. I know its normal for athletes to have low RHH's but 39?
Leif Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2007, 08:04 PM   #2
Derek Simonds

I am on the other side of the coin from you. I am 6'1" 190 and around 12% BF and my resting heart rate is somewhere around 85. I have tried hard to get my RHR lower. 4 years ago when i was taking claritin D and doing BB style workouts my RHR was right at 100.

I know that a low carb paleo diet will lower blood pressure but don't know if it will change RHR.

http://westvolusiawellness.com/
Derek Simonds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2007, 07:31 AM   #3
Chris Rice

6' 2" and 198# here. My resting HR is 48 and has been for many years. It was down to 38 at one time when I was doing triathlons. It seems to be partly a genetic trait, and partly due to aerobic fitness levels. If I allow myself to get out of shape so to speak, it climbs to around the 54 bpm area. My sister, who is totally out of shape also has a slow HR - like most things, genetics seems to be a big factor. I have also heard it can be tied to different conditions such as thyroid etc. Probably worth getting checked out for sure just to be safe.
Chris Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2007, 11:06 AM   #4
Steve Shafley

My RHR depends on my level of conditioning.

As a rugby player, it'd been as low as 50 bpm. Bodyweights ranged from 185 to 240 during this timeframe.

Now, as a big chubbo non-athlete, it's around 60-65 bpm. BW ~265-270
Steve Shafley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2007, 05:49 PM   #5
Garrett Smith

I saw mine at 38 in the morning (in bed, no significant movement yet) when I was doing triathlons.

Right now, I'm usually clocked at mid-50s during the daytime. BW 175#.

I will say that a daytime (not truly resting) HR of 39 is pretty freakin' low. However, without notable detrimental effects, I can't say that it is bad/negative in any way.
Garrett Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2007, 06:23 PM   #6
Leif Lake

I appreciate the responses. The EKG wasn't the first thing I did all day, had been up a few hours and had a busy night at work the night before. I had also been fasting because of the blood work they were gonna do. (could that have been a factor?) They actually checked it twice and they were the same. I am no triathlete either. I'll see what the cardiologist says. Thanks again-Leif
Old 08-27-2007, 10:56 PM   #7
Leif Lake

Cardiologist told me to get lost. He said since I had no other symptoms like dizziness or family history of heart problems and because my EKG had no other issues, he wasn't worried. He asked if I did steroids (nope!) and when I mentioned my diet he suggested that I avoid animal protein and try eating soy beans. I just nodded and went on my way. It was good going just for piece of mind, I see alot of people go into denial when something comes up and I didn't want just blow off the "abnormal EKG". Thanks to those of you that responded to the thread, I have really been able to pick-up alot of info digging through all of these post. This is a great resource!-Leif