Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Nutrition > General Nutrition

Old 10-09-2007, 03:19 PM   #1
Mike ODonnell

Default Monavie

We have probably all heard about it by now....or seen it.....as the predecessors such as Golgi juice or Noni Juice. I trust no MLM.....and keep getting approached by people for this...so when a friend of mine wanted me to debunk it...I said sure no problem....

Here's what I saw....it claims EFA's and Amino Acids....yet there are 0 grams of fat or protein on the label.....it claims the wonderful antioxidants...but it has 60mg a serving of Vit C....and of course the mysterious phytonutrients....

Now after alot of web digging...I came across what seems to be the active ingredient that makes it work, something called Celadrin? What is killing me is all these so called testimonials in forums and all over the place about getting off BP meds, no more pains, etc..etc...Of course they are self testimonials...and I know they are selling the stuff...but would they be so low as to lie...all of them?

Anyways...I am not selling this stuff but I want an honest look at this active ingredient....if anyone can figure it out, please enlighten me....

http://www.celadrin.com/home.php?pg=faq

I like where it says
Quote:
Celadrin® works similar to, but much more dramatically than the essential fatty acids EPA and DHA from fish oils.
and how is that exactly?? and are those real studies proving it works??

Have fun with this one....
Old 10-09-2007, 03:50 PM   #2
Derek Simonds

One of the most rational people I know is in this and he has told me that it has helped his wifes skin and his mother in laws digestion. That's a pretty wide array of things to help, but most of us feel the same way about fish oil. He also is one of my best friends and is basically embarrassed talking about it.

I will look at the link and let you know my thoughts.

http://westvolusiawellness.com/
Derek Simonds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2007, 05:06 PM   #3
Mike ODonnell

What bugs me the most is hearing stories of people actually feeling better from real people.....that and the product is based on a "berry of the month", distributed MLM style and will not give you any real details of what the hell is inside of it.....probably for the most part because you could buy the raw materials for 50% less and they make no money.
Old 10-09-2007, 05:10 PM   #4
Derek Simonds

MOD why haven't we done this with a fish oil supplement?

The whole gig in these mlm's is to be one of the first so you get all the guys down stream. Let's go we need product names and I will get the distribution channel set up!

http://westvolusiawellness.com/
Derek Simonds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 04:57 PM   #5
Sam Cannons

Quote:
# Clinically tested & proven to work effective for reducing
inflammation and joint discomfort**
# Promotes joint flexibility and mobility**

**This statement has not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. This product is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease
Sounds really convincing....
Old 10-10-2007, 09:01 PM   #6
Mike ODonnell

Quote:
**This statement has not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. This product is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease
This is a must if you plan on not having the FDA raid your company and shut you down....even fish oil has to have this disclaimer....every supplement does...only "drugs" are allowed to make that claim...
Old 10-10-2007, 11:18 PM   #7
Kevin Perry

It's funny you bring this up because the other day I was thinking about how maybe somewhere around 80% or possibly more of drug supplements are pending approval or are not approved by the FDA. I'm exremely wary of testimonials on the Internet. And while it is hard to believe that a company could lie about its product we must remember the health and supplement industry are probably just like the fitness industry. They will probably do whatever they can to sell a product. Kind of like how some people fall for a product of "organic" foods that claim to be able to cure cancer.
Kevin Perry is offline   Reply With Quote