Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Nutrition > Weight Gain, Weight Loss, Body Composition

Old 10-25-2007, 08:24 AM   #21
Scotty Hagnas

Quote:
I've also been thinking that a short fast, say 15h ended with a workout is equivalent to longer fast, say 20h. Meanwhile long fasts, say 20h ended with a workout can be too much and are something to perhaps be avoided. Instead, a pre-workout meal would be best with amounts of food according to your goals.

I say this under the notion that with the drop in body temp, mental fogginess and so forth could bring a slight drop in performance, sub-par sessions and problems with "getting into it". Personally I've found it hard as hell to warm-up in a cold gym when you're already freezing cold from a long fast.

Interesting observation. I'd agree - good energy to workout at 15-18 hrs for me; wait longer and it gets hard. I haven't tried a long fast/pre-workout meal yet, but I'll give it a go soon.
Scotty Hagnas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 08:11 AM   #22
John Alston

So anyway, I had talked up the IF idea last week and mentioned I might be thinking about it today, as it's after my meet. But I didn't.
Reasons? Well, I'm not sure it's the best time right now to try to IF regularly. I might throw a day in here or there, but am just not feeling it right now... Call me a puss, it's true. Or foolish. Or a bastardo.
Old 10-30-2007, 04:30 PM   #23
Troy Archie

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Alston View Post
Well, I'm not sure it's the best time right now to try to IF regularly. I might throw a day in here or there
That's the whole great thing about IF, you can throw it in a day here or there. Doesn't need to be an everyday thing. I started 2 times a week and moved up from there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Alston View Post
I'll admit I'll skeptical about working out till 8 and not eating until the next afternoon. Maybe it's habit. I'll have to see how things pan out when I try it all out next week.
And so you should be skeptical because that's not a good plan as far as I'm concerned. PWO food is crucial I think.
Old 12-26-2007, 07:08 AM   #24
John Alston

An old thread

But here it is, the day after xmas, and I'm not eating until noon, giving me a 15hr fast.

More thoughts and reasons... post Thanksgiving and during my Amsterdam trip I somehow managed to lean out a little, despite erratic exercise. While traveling I wasn't eating as often, even though I ate well, and I think this all was part of it. Whether this has affected my strength, who can say, as missing max oly lifts after just a couple workouts back into it doesn't really say much, but I'm drinking more of Art's Kool Aid, or something like that.

So we'll continue to see. I weighed in at 78kg last meet, down about 3kg. Performance is still the main goal, and I'd still like to be a lean 83-85kg someday, but we'll just keep lifting.
MIght have to give up my (fat) bastardo title, though...