Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Nutrition > General Nutrition

Old 05-17-2007, 09:08 AM   #11
Craig Cooper

I would think that fastings tendency to increase fat metabolism would definitely offset any slowing of the metabolism that may occur.
Old 05-17-2007, 11:12 AM   #12
Mike ODonnell

all great stuff....I wonder if the length of the fast decreases the metabolism exponetially, or if you get enough calories during the feeding your T3 levels will not drop. and IF being the case...is one holding a distinct advantage over others such as 15 hr fast, 18hr fast, 24 hr fast.....I know it depends on the amount of calories needed to be consumed, the person and willingness to eat in larger amounts, realistic schedules...

all this just to help Robb with his book....I hope I at least get into the credits...

and Elliot...if you need someone to step in on a business trip I will be more than willing...although I probably will spend way too much on the company CC, upgrade to first class and sleep through most your meetings....may not be a good career move but the stories I would be able to tell you would be worth it!
Old 05-18-2007, 05:26 AM   #13
Larry Lindenman

I have been playing around with IF for the last month, with great results. I am going to shift from a 3-8p eating schedule to a 8a-1p schedule today. I train in the morning and this allows me to get in some post workout nutrition (if it matters) and eat lunch...my new job involves lunch and some breakfast meetings, which made it hard to do an afternoon feeding. I think compliance is the key: more meals = more ability to screw up. Also, IF is more forgiving of nutritional errors. I think people have a tendency to spiral out of control after their first blush with cheating during the every three hours eating plan. So, while eating every 3 hours may increase metabolism, I think IF is more forgiving of errors, easier to stick too, and therefore is more conducive to fat loss. By the way, my wife loves IF and has lost her winter weight gain, within 3 weeks! She looks ripped.
Larry Lindenman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2007, 06:01 AM   #14
Allen Yeh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Lindenman View Post
Also, IF is more forgiving of nutritional errors. I think people have a tendency to spiral out of control after their first blush with cheating during the every three hours eating plan.
I've noticed this also.
Allen Yeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2007, 03:06 PM   #15
Nick Tirkalas

I guess I wanted to start this thread up again and add my 2 cents. I just started IF and it has been killer for me. Not for compliance but for energy. I am on the zone and I had all the energy in the world. With IF (16-19hr fast, needing 15 blocks for the other 6) I had zero energy. I would break the fast at around 5:30 and eat until 10:30-11pm and then go to sleep. I would be ok if I was on a rest day but on workout days I had nothing in me.

FYI. I stayed in ZONE compliance while in my feeding window.

Any one else experience this?

Also, I feel kinda soft, like I am putting on the weight.
Nick Tirkalas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2007, 03:42 PM   #16
Greg Davis

Personally as a general rule I try not to eat within 3 hours of when I go to sleep at night. Its actually probably the most important principle for me in terms of diet cuz otherwise I feel crappy in the morning.

But I have heard other people say the opposite and don't like to go to bed hungry... shrug
Old 11-04-2007, 04:19 PM   #17
Troy Archie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Papapetrou View Post
I am on the zone and I had all the energy in the world. With IF (16-19hr fast, needing 15 blocks for the other 6) I had zero energy.
Were you working out while fasted? Long fasts ended with workouts tend to be big time drainers. Long fasts with a pre-WO meal have been working well for me and my strength goals right now but I don't see how it would differ if my goals were CF. The only thing different I would do would be have a smaller pre-WO meal. Big huge pre-WO salad and a metcon would be a bucket full.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Papapetrou View Post
I would break the fast at around 5:30 and eat until 10:30-11pm and then go to sleep. I would be ok if I was on a rest day but on workout days I had nothing in me.
Well then just fast on rest days, thats how I started. As time went by and I became more "adapted" to the fast I started fasting for longer periods and fasting on my training days. It's worked really well for me and others but it did take some tinkering to find out what worked well.

Fasting is a lot like a fitness regimen. What works for some may not work for others. There's no magic pill or perfect program just what works for you.
Old 11-04-2007, 05:23 PM   #18
Steve Liberati

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troy Archie View Post
Well then just fast on rest days, thats how I started. As time went by and I became more "adapted" to the fast I started fasting for longer periods and fasting on my training days. It's worked really well for me and others but it did take some tinkering to find out what worked well.

Fasting is a lot like a fitness regimen. What works for some may not work for others. There's no magic pill or perfect program just what works for you.
The advice above is as good as it gets (IMO). I'd venture to say most, if not all, those who are regular IF'ers have experienced this 'transition phase' or adjustment Troy is talking about. Between this board and the CrossFit board, posts abound with beginner IF'ers, Zone'ers or Paleo'ers experiencing wierd side effects in the first few weeks of introduction. Nothing against you Nick (just trying to make a point...bear with me).....but we've been doing our bodies wrong for so many years (upward of 20 +), it is really unrealistic for us to expect our bodies to smoothly adjust to this change in a matter of only a few weeks. The whole process of undoing and retuning our body takes time. Some quicker than others. But the negative sides are part of the cleansing process - I think the same principle applies to IF.
100,000 generations of humans have been hunters and gatherers; 500 generations have been agriculturalists; ten have lived in the industrial age; and only one has been exposed to the world of computers.

Steve's Club
Crossfit Tribe
Steve Liberati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2007, 07:08 AM   #19
Nick Tirkalas

I was thinking of just doing the rest day fast even before I posted. I think for a fe eeks I'll do that.
Nick Tirkalas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2007, 11:14 AM   #20
Scott Kustes

Nick, does your "w" key not work? Or should I say, does your "" key not ork?

Anyway, how did you ramp up on IF? Did you just jump straight into the 18-19 hour fast it looks like you were doing? If so, you might try starting with like 12 hours and extending it an hour every week to let your body adapt. I IF ~20 hours/day, probably 5 days per week, but I don't follow the Zone. I'm Paleo with a lower carb amount.

Fitness Spotlight
Scott Kustes is offline   Reply With Quote