Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Fitness, Strength & CrossFit

Old 11-26-2007, 10:30 AM   #11
Greg Everett
Administrator

Snatch pull/ RDL - Just do a snatch pull.

"Without a doubt the best book on the market about Olympic-style weightlifting." - Mike Burgener, USAW Senior International Coach

American Weightlifting: The Documentary
Catalyst Athletics
Performance Menu Journal
Greg Everett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 12:33 PM   #12
Nick Tirkalas

Thanks Greg
Nick Tirkalas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 07:43 PM   #13
Nick Tirkalas

So it seems that I have lost over 2lbs of muscle this past 2 weeks. Checked today.

What the hell. I am following the PM Mass gain to a 'T' Paleo Zone...hardly any cheats.

Anyone....Bueller!!!
Up the Protein?

Stop IF?? This seems to be the reason. I cannot afford to lose muscle. Not at my 139lbs.
Old 11-29-2007, 08:48 PM   #14
Mike ODonnell

Up your protein intake....some people need 1.5+ grams per bodyweight before they start seeing muscle gain

Up your total calories, Drop the IF for now as you need bigger window with more calories...come back to IF later to maintain if you want

Drop excess exercise such as metcon....

Simple 2 rules for mass gain:
1) Eat more
2) Exercise Less
Old 11-29-2007, 08:53 PM   #15
Steven Low
Super Moderator

Quote:
Up your protein intake....some people need 1.5+ grams per bodyweight before they start seeing muscle gain
What?? The body tends to utilize protein more effectively as the g/lbs drop up to a limit of course. There shouldn't be anyone that can't gain at least some muscle on 1g/lbs at the very LEAST. Heck, .5g/lbs bodyweight should be fine of course with adequate sleep, weightlifting routine and otherwise good diet albeit probably not optimally though.
Steven Low is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 09:27 PM   #16
Mike ODonnell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Low View Post
There shouldn't be anyone that can't gain at least some muscle on 1g/lbs at the very LEAST.
True...but I tend to use the reality Bell curve.....tell people to intake 1gram/lb of bodyweight....they really eat 0.5 grams and say they eat enough....tell people to take in 1.5grams...then eat closer to 0.8grams....etc...everyone has different protein utilization rates...so the better the quality of protein and your digestion health...the less you will need....

Lots of other wonderful tools to use such as protein and carb cycling for loading, pwo consumption, creatine, meal timing, IF when done correctly can pack on muscle, and other stuff....when in doubt...eat more protein, drink more water, take fish oil, eat red meat/eggs, lift heavy, add digestive enzymes or eat pineapple with protein, do no cardio, etc....

Try this trick....drink a whey protein shake of 30grams with flaxseed oil with every FULL meal (assuming 3 bigger protein/fat/carb meals)...if you cant pack on lbs like that...mix it with whole milk....if you still lose weight/muscle....do the old powerlifting trick of drinking a gallon of milk every day along with meals (may get some fat though)....and if that doesnt work.....I completely give up as you must be burning more calories than Lance Armstrong training for a race.....
Old 11-29-2007, 09:46 PM   #17
Steven Low
Super Moderator

I'll go with that.
Steven Low is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2007, 12:57 AM   #18
Kevin Perry

I second the whole milk idea, thats what I have started to do after stepping on a scale and noticing i have already dropped 10 pounds.
Kevin Perry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2007, 07:05 AM   #19
Nick Tirkalas

I'm adding 2 shakes as Mike suggests, maybe with milk to mix.

I'm very frustrated right now as I've worked for fat loss for the past year and it turns out it wasn't. And now when I try to put the weight back on, I will be right back where I started a year ago.

And then I'll have to go back to fat loss to get rid of what I gained during this mass gain.

Any suggestions on how to limit the fat gain?
Old 12-01-2007, 08:27 AM   #20
Mike ODonnell

Fat gain is mostly spillover effect from additional carbs that are not replenishing muscle glycogen, so those will have to be monitored and changed. Have your higher carbs on when your muscles are the most sensitive on workout days pwo window 1-2 hours, and keep lower carbs/higher fat and protein on the others. Remember that muscles grow when you are not working them out...so don't try and do too much unless you know how to vary the intensity properly. That and plenty of protein of course.