Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Nutrition > General Nutrition

Old 12-08-2007, 03:53 PM   #1
Ralph Garcia

Default Gilbert's Syndrome & IF

Hi everyone,

I don't post much, but I'm an avid reader here and have been following Crossfit for a few years now.

I want to give the Paleo Diet and IF a try. I'm curious though as to how my body may react to IF. I learned recently that I have Gilbert's syndrome: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gilbert's_syndrome. Basically, I have increased bilirubin, but the only symptom (that I know of) is slight jaundice when I fast. As far as I can tell, I shouldn't be concerned at all with doing IF despite having Gilbert's Syndrome.

Does anyone else have any thoughts or experience on this?

Thanks,
Ralph

PS I would greatly appreciate it if anyone could offer any advice whatsoever as to how I should tell my Asian mother-in-law that I will no longer be eating rice.
Ralph Garcia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2007, 05:40 PM   #2
Derek Weaver

I'd say try it out with a longer feeding window of maybe 7 hours. I'm not doctor, and hopefullly Dr. G jumps in here and has some insight, but from what the wiki link said, you aren't in any type of danger health-wise.

I would go with paleo first though and gradually work towards IF. I wish I could find the link, but there's a great Q&A that talks about food quantity vs. quality, Paleo and IF.
Derek Weaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2007, 07:15 PM   #3
Steve Liberati

Kindly tell your Asian-in-law that you are trying out a new diet that excludes starchy carbs such as rice, breads, pasta, dairy and other foods humans were not designed to eat. Considering you are a grown man I dont think its really neccessary to gain her approval for every decision you make especially as to what goes in your mouth and what doesn't. I can understand how you might NOT want to offend her, but she has to come to understand and accept your ideals/traditions, just like you understand and accept her's. It all comes down to what you think is right, not what others think is right. Sure, I might be going a little too far here to get my point across, but I think its really important not to give in and do something you don't want to do just for the sake of pleasing someone else.
100,000 generations of humans have been hunters and gatherers; 500 generations have been agriculturalists; ten have lived in the industrial age; and only one has been exposed to the world of computers.

Steve's Club
Crossfit Tribe
Steve Liberati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2007, 05:40 AM   #4
Garrett Smith

Wish I could be of more help here.

While slight jaundice may occur when you begin IFing, I believe the process will be so beneficial that your body may adapt quickly and you may find that your Gilbert's goes away.

I'd suggest incrementally increasing your fasting times, as in by a half hour or hour a day from where you are now to the goal fast time you wish to be at. This will allow your body to adapt more easily, with likely less jaundice (if at all).
Garrett Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2007, 08:14 AM   #5
Ralph Garcia

Default Thanks!

I'll definitely be working my way into it slowly. Thanks for the advice.

One more thing, does anyone recommend a particular article and/or thread with advice on where and how I should start? There's so much info out there now, that I'm not sure where to begin.

Thanks again,
Ralph
Ralph Garcia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007, 05:06 PM   #6
Eva Claire Synkowski

hey ralph -

starting is really quite simple.... just dont eat!

that being said, it sounds like you want to ease into it.

1) id start with 12 hour overnight fasts (assuming you have a regular work/sleep schedule) because trying to sleep while youre hungry is tough. so if you finish eating dinner at 8 pm.... wait until 8 am the next morning to eat. just do one day at a time. if the first try is easy, then do it multiple days in a row. if not, try a couple times a week.

2) work to a) increase the length of the fast and/or b) number of days a week you fast. id maybe start with increasing the length of the fast by 1/2 hour. given the same scenario... don't eat until 8:30 am, then 9, etc. this progression may take some time (couple to several weeks, months). no set number for the length of the fasts... many ppl work up to 18-24 hour fasts. im still at 15-17 hours after 8 months, but have noticed IF benefits.

as for the number of the d/wk - you can do 7, but often some days its just not feasible due to social events, working out, etc.

and you may end up having some days where you fast for 12, some where you fast for 15, some 18, etc..... thats fine/good.

3) if you're curious with how to time a workout w/ fasting....again its all up to you and your schedule. keep in mind, working out makes generally makes ppl hungry.... so holding the fast for a long time post wo can be difficult. you can workout in a fasted state as well.... again, you may or may not have success with that.

oh, and no calories and artificial sweeteners during your fast. black coffee ok, as well as some apple cider vinegar in water to help fend off the hunger.

good luck!
Eva Claire Synkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007, 06:29 PM   #7
sarena kopciel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eva Claire Synkowski View Post
hey ralph -

starting is really quite simple.... just dont eat!

that being said, it sounds like you want to ease into it.

1) id start with 12 hour overnight fasts (assuming you have a regular work/sleep schedule) because trying to sleep while youre hungry is tough. so if you finish eating dinner at 8 pm.... wait until 8 am the next morning to eat. just do one day at a time. if the first try is easy, then do it multiple days in a row. if not, try a couple times a week.

2) work to a) increase the length of the fast and/or b) number of days a week you fast. id maybe start with increasing the length of the fast by 1/2 hour. given the same scenario... don't eat until 8:30 am, then 9, etc. this progression may take some time (couple to several weeks, months). no set number for the length of the fasts... many ppl work up to 18-24 hour fasts. im still at 15-17 hours after 8 months, but have noticed IF benefits.

as for the number of the d/wk - you can do 7, but often some days its just not feasible due to social events, working out, etc.

and you may end up having some days where you fast for 12, some where you fast for 15, some 18, etc..... thats fine/good.

3) if you're curious with how to time a workout w/ fasting....again its all up to you and your schedule. keep in mind, working out makes generally makes ppl hungry.... so holding the fast for a long time post wo can be difficult. you can workout in a fasted state as well.... again, you may or may not have success with that.

oh, and no calories and artificial sweeteners during your fast. black coffee ok, as well as some apple cider vinegar in water to help fend off the hunger.

good luck!
EC I have actually gotten to15-18hrs over the last week and its truly fine. But hey I did use some stevia in my tea or coffee. Problem??
sarena kopciel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007, 05:50 AM   #8
Eva Claire Synkowski

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarena kopciel View Post
EC I have actually gotten to15-18hrs over the last week and its truly fine. But hey I did use some stevia in my tea or coffee. Problem??
hey sarena -

so the idea with IF is to increase your insulin sensitivity - specifically by going through periods with no insulin response. i therefore, try to stay away from any sweeteners...

robb wrote a fantastic post recently, check out the comments too:
http://robbwolf.com/?p=45

heres a thread specific to artificial sweeteners:
http://www.performancemenu.com/forum...ead.php?t=1367

and taubes presented some interesting info in good calories, bad calories re: insulin secretion from anything sweet. its late in the book, carb hypothesis III section, i believe.
Eva Claire Synkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007, 08:41 AM   #9
Garrett Smith

Sarena,
While I don't use stevia in my tea or coffee, you could help counter the potential effects of it by adding cinnamon/nutmeg/clove/cardamom (the chai or pumpkin pie spices). I have some of those in every herbal tea and coffee I make...
Garrett Smith is offline   Reply With Quote