Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Olympic Weightlifting

Old 01-05-2008, 04:04 AM   #21
Susie Rosenberg

Thanks, Chris and Steven,

Do you know of any resources for developing strength through bodyweight work? Websites, books, etc?

I'm woefully weak in my upper body, which is why I was so excited about an organized approach to weight lifting. (My gym essentially began offering strength training classes.)

I can barely do a handful of real, good pushups. I'm pretty beat up, I guess. Pushups hurt my elbows 'cause I have a tendinitis going on there. At least I can start with pushups, pullups and air squats. (Those are pretty much all the body weight exercises I can do...no HSPUs, pistols, etc. yet.)

Sheesh, 50 years, 50,000 miles and the warranty's up. I need some body work!

Susie
Susie Rosenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2008, 04:33 AM   #22
Steven Low
Super Moderator

As far as rings goes:

http://www.drillsandskills.com/article/17

There's also some stuff at http://ringtraining.com . I can different progressions for stuff if you need them. Blair Robert Lowe had a good post on CF forums if you wanna look that up.

As far as other stuff like bodyweight legs.. Coach Sommer has a pistol progression. But yeah, just work up to stuff first with sprinting and such.
Steven Low is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 09:56 AM   #23
Tom Rawls

Eva T posts basic bodyweight workouts on her site:

www.skievat.com

click on her blog.
Tom Rawls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 11:57 AM   #24
Susie Rosenberg

Thanks, everybody...I really appreciate the tips. It's helping me feel less bummed out about this, knowing I can still work strength in some fashion or another.

Susie
Old 01-18-2008, 01:18 PM   #25
Susie Rosenberg

Saw the neurosurgeon today, and it ain't great news.

Apparently, I have a pretty tight cervical canal on a congenital basis, and because of osteoarthritis, I'm developing bone spurs (osteophytes) which are further impinging the cord, especially at c3/4.

My exam actually even scared me! I knew I've been feeling weak at the gym---can't squat any weight---but I had motor weakness in arms and legs that was obvious during the exam. (I didn't expect to see weakness on clinical exam, I thought it was only in relation to my usual weights in the gym.) Plus I had hyperreflexia in my lower extremities. So, yes, I have a degree of myelopathy.

Doc put me on a steroid taper and will see me back in six weeks. Told me to stay off my road bike, as any fall puts me at risk of cord injury because of the fragility of my c-spine. Told me not to lift heavy, but that's moot because I couldn't lift heavy even if I wanted to.

The funny part was, when I was telling him about when the symptoms first started, I said, "I was deadlifting really light, only 135 lbs." (I'm 145 lbs.) He looked at me like I was nuts and said, "That's a considerable amount of weight." Ha. Depends on who's sayin'.

In six weeks, we'll discuss surgical options.

Sucks.

Susie
Old 01-18-2008, 01:38 PM   #26
Derek Simonds

Don't have much to add but we are here for you if you have any questions on the fitness side.

I know a lot of the people on here do a lot of rehab work.

You certainly have my best wishes.

http://westvolusiawellness.com/
Derek Simonds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 01:44 PM   #27
sarena kopciel

Wow Susie, I hope the steroids help and surgery wont need to be. I would call Dr. G ASAP as he might have something to offer. I have been consulting with him for a while with great results!
sarena kopciel is offline   Reply With Quote