Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Community > Community & Events

Old 01-24-2008, 08:02 AM   #11
Mike ODonnell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Kustes View Post
Right on MOD, right on! Similar to the story I relayed to you of a friend's wife being suckered into a 3 1-hour session per week, $15/session, 52 week personal training contract. $2300 for a rep counter. Luckily she got out of it.

As for ATL, I thought it was supposed to be warm there. I had a layover there on my way out to CA this past weekend and it was no warmer there than in Louisville. What gives bro? I'm taking the Hot-lanta moniker away!
Fluke weather....now going to be 60 and sunny this weekend...time to put some air in the mountain bike tires.

Funny...just got ANOTHER mailing yesterday for the "Ultimate Sales Closing Program for Personal Trainers".

IMO, trainers should be coaches who help people workout on their own with exercise movement teaching and periodic reviews of diet/workouts/progress....or run group programs (which are generally more affordable and get people better results) if they need the motivation. The rep counting is just silly.....or sad that people would shell out big money for that. Much like a fad diet...those results never last as they become 100% dependent on a trainer and never adopt a lifestyle change. All the rep counting trainers for the most part burn out after a while, and then just sit there on their cell phone checking their myspace account or something.
Old 01-24-2008, 08:25 AM   #12
Brenda Resh

Boy, you are not kidding. Everything has become 'money first' anymore.
Ranting ok.

brenda
BCBSNC Agency
Drug And Alcohol Recovery
Drug and Alcohol Recovery for Women
Brenda Resh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 08:45 AM   #13
John P. Walsh

Did someone say “personal trainer rant”? The fitness business has always been sleazy but Robb Wolf is on the right path with this:

"After a month you can tinker with re-introducing some of the banned foods, but you need to know that non-compliance in the first month is grounds for termination. No messing around. I have limited time and love what I do and I WILL NOT waste my efforts on someone who cannot hang in at least a month. Like I said previously, there are a slew of trainers who are fine with taking your money and allowing you to continue along with bad nutrition. Not me.”

Do you want to be an entertainer or a professional? My wife and I run a small business and no one can just plop down some money and become a client. They have to get referred and even then we screen them. Some people get incredulous but that’s the way we do business and in the long run people come to us because we are so discriminating about our clients. It’s seems counterintuitive but we have found that it works. You have to put ethics first. If money comes first ethics will always get compromised. Always. It’s also very empowering to turn down the short money. No way do I want to be enslaved to a client where they get this attitude that they pay you so you must now jump through hoops. It’s demoralizing. It’s bad business.
John P. Walsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 09:29 AM   #14
David Aguasca

reminds me of this.

for those of you who haven't seen it...

Fitness Made Difficult
David Aguasca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 01:02 PM   #15
Patrick Donnelly

In other news, my American Council on Exercise "Group Fitness Instructor" certification materials came in today...

Don't worry MOD, I promise not to suck.
Patrick Donnelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 01:19 PM   #16
Mike ODonnell

Quote:
Originally Posted by John P. Walsh View Post
Did someone say “personal trainer rant”?
Why...did you have an opinion on trainers?? Ha....just kidding of course...as I am teasing the sleeping lion with that comment!

Anyways Patrick, I'm sure you will do great! I'm more upset with the mindset of the industry than any trainers in particular.

On that note...anyone that is a trainer that wants to help me take over the industry...and yes you can make plenty of money doing it the right way....shoot me an email and I will discuss my evil "death star" plans that has Gold's Gyms everywhere shaking...or at least sweating...or maybe not...
info@projectfit.org
Old 01-24-2008, 01:25 PM   #17
Kevin Perry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike ODonnell View Post
Fluke weather....now going to be 60 and sunny this weekend...time to put some air in the mountain bike tires.

Funny...just got ANOTHER mailing yesterday for the "Ultimate Sales Closing Program for Personal Trainers".

IMO, trainers should be coaches who help people workout on their own with exercise movement teaching and periodic reviews of diet/workouts/progress....or run group programs (which are generally more affordable and get people better results) if they need the motivation. The rep counting is just silly.....or sad that people would shell out big money for that. Much like a fad diet...those results never last as they become 100% dependent on a trainer and never adopt a lifestyle change. All the rep counting trainers for the most part burn out after a while, and then just sit there on their cell phone checking their myspace account or something.
+1

funny.. I read that part on Robb Wolf's blog about his shopping list. I couldn't agree more.
Kevin Perry is offline   Reply With Quote