Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Nutrition > General Nutrition

Old 02-17-2008, 02:34 PM   #1
sarena kopciel

Default Travel, Nutrition and High Elevation

I will be traveling at a the end of the week to Switzerland for only 4 days (Leave Thurs eve/return Tues morn). My nutrition as most know is pretty good. Here with travel out of the country I have some concerns since I am also Kosher and will not have access to the same quality food as I am accustomed to in NYC! I will be staying at a Kosher hotel and will settle for their breakfast of eggs (non omega 3) along with some fruits/veggies based on what is available. I figure I can always buy some nuts/avocado or hope for olive oil.
Lunch and/or dinner will be more iffy I assume. Chicken or fish will definitely not be the best quality and who knows how it will be prepared. From what I hear, this hotel is not restaurant style, rather what is prepared is what is available!!

I plan to take along some wild salmon cans and some sardines too for protein. I have also purchased several of these bars in the mint version as they do not include nightshades! Any other thoughts or suggestions are welcome. Perhaps pack some hemp protein powder. I am also thinking I may be able to buy some organic kefir while there but am unsure of that too!

I will be in the alps at a high elevation. I have, at least based on email, found a "gym" that has barbells so hopefully I can at least do some squatting while I am there. I am not sure how the IFing will hold up with the elevation. I may try cross country skiing one day but am not sure. (I outgrew downhill and have no intention of doing it anymore now).

My main concerns are handling the elevation and what to pack for nutrition boosts!
sarena kopciel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008, 03:00 PM   #2
Mike ODonnell

Enjoy the local food....as you can always come home and eat lots of canned salmon! Have fun...I'm jealous!
Old 02-17-2008, 06:04 PM   #3
Garrett Smith

Sarena,
It is likely the quality of conventional European foods is close to "typical" American organic food.

Definitely let yourself enjoy the vacation!
Garrett Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008, 06:11 PM   #4
Steve Liberati

Short trip, don't worry too much about eating as you normally do Sarena. Like Mike said eat local. And light. Your priority should be enjoying your stay as much as possible. Besides, a little yang (going outside your comfort zone and routine) from time to time is a good thing for your overall health.
100,000 generations of humans have been hunters and gatherers; 500 generations have been agriculturalists; ten have lived in the industrial age; and only one has been exposed to the world of computers.

Steve's Club
Crossfit Tribe
Steve Liberati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 08:01 PM   #5
sarena kopciel

As everyone said it was a short trip but like I thought going into it, the hotel didnt offer all the best choices and it was great to come home and cook some greens for myself!! I was totally paleo on trip (dark chocolate the Swiss variety is considered paleo correct??). I requested avocado at each breakfast and dinner; at the last dinner the hotel ran out!! But there were few options for cooked veggies, greens prob due to seasonal availability so I ate more salad (romaine, cabbage, endive) than I normally do this time of year!! Oh and the olive oil was of the light variety in the hotel. I also ate far too many nuts for my liking. Those canned fish cans were really handy and portable to take to the top of the mountain for lunch.

ANd imagine my horror when Swiss security confiscated three cans from me, one each tuna, salmon and sardines that I had packed as rations toward my trip home. I tried explaining the it was my medicine but they wouldnt listen!!!
sarena kopciel is offline   Reply With Quote