Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Fitness, Strength & CrossFit

Old 03-26-2008, 04:41 AM   #1
Matt Lawson

Default Finite fat loss

I've been training a woman who is in darn good shape, very strong, and very lean. (pinch test shows sub 16% but i told her that doesn't mean much, use the mirror) This suggestion of course bit me in the butt as she looked at her own butt in the mirror and saw the slightest bit of cellulite.

I told her that persistence in the diet and training would get her in great shape and i feel that i have been right so far. I further told her that we can continue to tweek the diet and training but that i felt it was on course for what she wanted.

Diet looks very zone/paleo with 100% of carbs (<75g a day) coming either with fruit in the morning or after training. roughly .6 to 1g protein per lb body weight. Fat is a reasonable lvl as well and probably makes up the majority of her energy. all counted up she usualy hits around or below 1200 kcals. I feel this is low but i want to know what you guys think. (she is 120 lbs

The only aspect of her diet i feel needs work is her timing and water intake.

As for training: She does core lifts (squat, DL, Shoulder Press, Bench Press, Push Press ect ect) once or twice a week. And either sprint training or a form of interval training twice or 3 times a week. Never longer than 35 min in the gym.

I have told her that when it comes to "that last little bit" things tend to get a bit annoying and that she likely had no issue with it prior because with the relatively higher BF it simply didn't stick out.

Any suggestions or do you think this is pretty much on course?
Matt Lawson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 05:06 AM   #2
Steve Liberati

Yeah your on course Matt, I would throw a high calorie day at least a day or two a week as a wrench to turn up her metabolism. The cellulite issue is mainly a result of hormones and genetics. Reduction of bodyfat on a solid strength program as outlined is probably the best (safest) course of action although time can be a major limiting factor.
100,000 generations of humans have been hunters and gatherers; 500 generations have been agriculturalists; ten have lived in the industrial age; and only one has been exposed to the world of computers.

Steve's Club
Crossfit Tribe
Steve Liberati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 05:37 AM   #3
Susie Rosenberg

women....we can drive ourselves crazy....

it sounds like this woman is fit, lean, and healthy and is worried about a bit of dimpling on her butt????

I think the best thing you can do for your client is to try to shift her focus from what her body looks like to what it can do.

People can really do damage to themselves---psychologically, as well as physically, in the quest for a perfect body.

Susie
Susie Rosenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 06:51 AM   #4
Jay Cohen

Matt;

Is she married? If so, is she happy with the current relationship? If not........
Jay Cohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 07:05 AM   #5
Mike ODonnell

women and their butt....Yeaahhhhh.....good luck with all that!! lol

I know a trainer...probably 10-12% bf....perfect shape....and she keeps telling me she is fat....

The lower the BF, the harder it gets to burn the fat left over. Consistency over time gets it done...but nothing comes quick and easy. If she is stalling in progress, change something up. A week of lower carbs, etc.
Old 03-26-2008, 08:15 AM   #6
Matt Lawson

thank you for the responses!

I really try to push the positive side for her. Thanks again all!
Matt Lawson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 06:29 PM   #7
sarena kopciel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susie Rosenberg View Post
women....we can drive ourselves crazy....

it sounds like this woman is fit, lean, and healthy and is worried about a bit of dimpling on her butt????

I think the best thing you can do for your client is to try to shift her focus from what her body looks like to what it can do.

People can really do damage to themselves---psychologically, as well as physically, in the quest for a perfect body.

Susie
Who ya talking to, my dear??
sarena kopciel is offline   Reply With Quote