Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Fitness, Strength & CrossFit

Old 06-03-2008, 04:21 PM   #11
Derek Weaver

Thanks so much for sharing all your findings with us Gant. I've been thinking more and more that CF has gotten too heav yon the 30 ish minute MetCons without enough strength work.

I personally am never more toasted than doing Fran. I don't care if it's the Filthy Fifty, Angie or some other 300-500 (or more) rep metcon, Fran just does me in.

This style of training looks like a pretty decent template to train for a TSC doesn't it? I've been thinking of entering a TSC in the next 9-12 months, but don't know where to start training for a comp like that... I think this may be it.
Derek Weaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 06:08 PM   #12
Leo Soubbotine

Gant - I totally agree on the Hybrid programs. Extra planned strength work - works magically!

After the competition this weekend( SE CF Challenge where I came in 3rd to my huge surprise) I realized that my main weakness is upper body (pressing strength). I discussed it with Rip and he just said to add bench and here's what I came up with:

I'll be following CF.com - Mon-Fri and occasional Saturday.
On Rest Days I'll do either WOD A or WOD B listed below:

A
Power Snatch 3x5
Muscle Up 3x5
Thruster 3x5
RDL 1x5
Kipping pullups 1x max

B
Power Clean 3x5
Bench 3x5
Thruster 3x5
HSPU 3x5

That should help me get my pressing strength up.
Pulling strength isn't lagging nearly as much as pressing.
Leo Soubbotine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 08:05 PM   #13
Steve Rogers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek Weaver View Post
This style of training looks like a pretty decent template to train for a TSC doesn't it? I've been thinking of entering a TSC in the next 9-12 months, but don't know where to start training for a comp like that... I think this may be it.
Yes, this should be good TSC preparation, though I'd sub kettlebell drills for the gymnastics. I'd also enter the next TSC in the Fall to get the feel of it and see where you stand. If you're interested in competing, do it early and often. I entered the last TSC with only a few weeks of training and I'm glad I did, rather than wait. While I didn't do as well as I'd like, it was fun and the experience was worthwhile.
Steve Rogers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 09:58 PM   #14
Patrick Donnelly

Haven't finished reading this yet, but thanks in advance, Gant.
Patrick Donnelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 10:22 PM   #15
Derek Weaver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Rogers View Post
Yes, this should be good TSC preparation, though I'd sub kettlebell drills for the gymnastics. I'd also enter the next TSC in the Fall to get the feel of it and see where you stand. If you're interested in competing, do it early and often. I entered the last TSC with only a few weeks of training and I'm glad I did, rather than wait. While I didn't do as well as I'd like, it was fun and the experience was worthwhile.
Steve, thanks for the heads up. I'll have to check out the next one in the fall. I need to compete soon, and the CF Games isn't gonna happen this year.

Did you follow any of the KB drills from Dragon Door or did you come up with your own?

If you don't mind, maybe we can discuss via PM so as not to hijack this thread?
Derek Weaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 10:24 PM   #16
Troy Archie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gant Grimes View Post
•The slow lifts should start with 3x5 (including dips and pull-ups). Drop to 3x3 after 6 weeks or whenever the volume becomes too much. You may also want to mix in some 5x3, 5x2 or 7x1. It’s your program! Eventually you’ll almost exclusively be doing either 1) med volume/high intensity or 2) low volume/stupid intensity!
That's sets X reps right?

So when do we see a WOD by you?

Also, are the order of the exercises set in stone? Probably not. I see it's Oly before strength, which makes sense for technique.
Old 06-03-2008, 11:14 PM   #17
Gant Grimes
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troy Archie View Post
That's sets X reps right?

So when do we see a WOD by you?

Also, are the order of the exercises set in stone? Probably not. I see it's Oly before strength, which makes sense for technique.
Yes, sets x reps. I'm still traumatized from Greg's notation.

I'm doing something for somebody that might be filmed (I sound like Alston with his secret training). Other than that I doubt I'll ever make it to video.

The order of exercises is vital. You want speed, technique, and accuracy. You also want full use of your hips.

Explosive lifts >>> slow lifts >>> metcon

*In rare cases, I'll do metcon first. For instance, if Fran comes up, I'll do that first before doing ME front squats. It just works for me.

I prefer to have gymnastics movements at the beginning, but I have forgotten them too many times (and done them at the end) to suggest it's mandatory.
Old 06-04-2008, 02:21 AM   #18
Donald Lee

When you go medium intensity, do you up the volume? And, did you feel that the front lever progressions, squats, etc. provided enough abdominal training? I saw that you included one day of L-sits and some KB windmills.
Donald Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 11:01 AM   #19
Brandon Oto

I'm really glad to see you feeling this stuff out, Gant. Between your program, Garrett's, folks like Brian D., and the stuff I've been playing with (basically periodizing individual cycles of focused work on weak areas), there's a lot of ground being covered for alternative ideas on the GPP front.
Brandon Oto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 11:09 AM   #20
Kevin Perry

This is some good stuff Gant.

As for the CF wods, are you just picking and choosing which ones fit your goals best? such as strength and power type wods over metcon?
Kevin Perry is offline   Reply With Quote