Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Nutrition > General Nutrition

Old 01-10-2007, 03:26 PM   #11
Robb Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allen Yeh View Post
I thought on IF you were supposed to get the same amount of food/zone blocks/macronutrients just in a much shorter time frame?
Allen-

That is a very precise way to tackle the whole thing. Find your Zone sweet spot and then compress the window of time you eat that food in. Many people loosen the precision on the macro-nutrients and find they do just fine with that. Most find they need to ratchet up the fat a bit.

Robb's Blog
Robb Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 04:16 PM   #12
Steve Liberati

Here's my experiences with IF so far:

About 3 months ago I started implementing a 2 day-a-week fast protocol. Typically on sunday (good day to do nothing...that includes eating!) and one day during the week. Must admit at first it was extremely difficult to ignore the afternoon hunger pains. I stayed with it, and eventually my appetite subdued towards the end of the fast. Fast started around 9pm at night and lasted until 5pm the following day (20 hrs). Like others, in time I noticied increased energy levels, alertness, appetite control, and less water retention (love handles became less noticible). On top of the body comp improvements, the biggest benefit of fasting on those two days was not having to worry or think about food. It was a nice relief freeing my mind for a day not thinking about my next meal.

I liked the 2 day a wk fast so much, I then decided to up the ante and fast every other day (Art D style!). Been doing this for about a month now and the results have have been nothing less than stellar.

Besides the huge added convenience of not having to pack food for the day, I'm sleeping better than before ever before, better vascularity, increased energy (wife likes that one!), and just a better overall sense of well-being. Started off around 195lbs@8% bf. I'm now down to around 188lbs@around 6-7% bodyfat. Strength levels are on a slow incline and performance on WOD's have improved as well.

Can't say enough about IF. Life's much better now.

Last edited by Steve Liberati : 01-18-2007 at 01:13 PM. Reason: Canned the pics
Steve Liberati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2007, 03:56 AM   #13
Allen Yeh

As of yesterday I was having no problems with IF but then weirdness?

Yesterdays schedule:
8 am - coffee with heavy cream
10 am - first meal since 6 pm the night before - chicken breast, spinach, and 22 almonds.
11 am - 1 pm - 2 more cups of coffee w/ heavy cream
1:30 pm - pre workout shake - 20 grams protein, 30 grams carbs

2 pm gym

I would say between 1 - 2 I felt odder and odder, on my short drive over to the gym I started to feel really dizzy, like being intoxicated dizzy, as I parked my car and sat there trying to let the dizziness pass I started to get really nauseous too. When I say dizzy I mean like world spinning dizzy, closing my eyes made the sensation all the worse. When I would stand up it was as if the world was swaying back and forth. I eventually got into the gym but the nausea never really went away so I warmed up and did a little bit but I called it quits shortly after that.

I was thinking it was having too much coffee while on IF? Or possibly the insulin spike from the pre workout shake and not having much in my stomach before that? Anyone have any ideas?

Last edited by Allen Yeh : 01-16-2007 at 06:46 AM. Reason: caught some spelling/grammar mistakes
Allen Yeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2007, 06:18 AM   #14
Craig Cooper

I've had similar experiences, always with coffee. My caffeine sensitivity is much greater when I IF, and it's really easy to get too much of it, resulting in intense shakiness, irritability, and sometimes even paranoia.
Craig Cooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2007, 09:33 AM   #15
Joyce Behrendt

Nausea and dizzyness are fairly typical of ketosis. I have to limit coffee too or else I really get a buzz. I have green tea or some decaf in the afternoon.

You might want to add a little potassium by using some salt substitute.

I don't get much nausea anymore. I guess our body adapts. I did a 21-hr fast yesterday and felt great. I am going to fast more frequently, probably M-W-F for a while. I'm not even going to mention my body fat %!
Joyce Behrendt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 07:48 AM   #16
Allen Yeh

I was going to wait another week or 2 to post some "results" but I'll throw in too since I saw Steve posted something up.

I'm down 2 lbs since last week and I wished I had measured myself the day I started. My wife keeps telling me I look "skinnier" though I don't really notice much of a difference when I look in the mirror.

Perfomance wise I feel pretty good right now. Except for the weirdness I felt on Monday (1/15) I've had no other weirdness. I'm limiting my coffee to 2 cups maximum per day and hopefully I won't go through that again.

Hunger pangs have almost entirely gone away as long as I get what I need that day, last night I was a bit hungry but I had forgotten to take in 2 meals and by the time I was hungry it was past my "eating time."
Old 01-18-2007, 11:41 AM   #17
Steve Liberati

Allen - You're progress looks good man! Continue to update this thread every so often if you don't mind. The more people experimenting with IF the more we can learn about it.

Also just a side, don't expect fast body comp changes (except a few lbs of water weight). Most of the changes I've experienced with IF so far has been increased performance and more stable energy levels.

Besides the pre-workout shake how many protein shakes a day do you normally drink?
Steve Liberati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 11:55 AM   #18
Allen Yeh

Steve,

On days I workout I typically take 40 grams of whey + grape juice or gatorade. Pre and post workout I'll just drink half before and half right after.

On most days I usually take a shake shortly after dinner to get all my fats and protein in for the day. Its something close to what they recommended in the meal replacement shake thread.

1 can of coconut milk from trader joes = 25 grams fat
2 scoops whey = ~45 grams protein
1 tbsp of greens powder
2 tbsp of milled flaxseeds
1-2 tbsps of cocoa powder (I saw Robb put it in his but I'm not actually sure what this is for.)
Old 01-18-2007, 12:14 PM   #19
Scott Kustes

Cocoa powder is an antioxidant and adds flavor. I've also found that unsweetened applesauce and almond butter go very well with the shake. A couple raw eggs never hurt anyone either.

Fitness Spotlight
Scott Kustes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 06:08 PM   #20
Mike ODonnell

I started saving all my calories for the 3 hr PWO window on M_W_F and then only 2-3 bigger meals on the other days....I do find with a light breakfast and expresso.....I am sharp and on target till like noon....and get a hell of alot more work done. I do protein shakes AM, Pre-WO, Post-WO and PM before bed...working on all the timing.

Funny I really dont track calories as it is a pain in the ass.....but since doing the above schedule the last 2 months and hitting the weights again...I've gained about another 10lbs lean muscle...back up to 195lbs after hitting a record low this summer of 172 from too much metabolic (CF and running/biking)work and not eating enough. I feel so much better and have more energy....oh yeah...Sat night all rules are off as I've been know to eat a whole pizza, couple beers....ok maybe more than a couple and then a dozen wings....god bless a strong metabolism!
Mike ODonnell is offline   Reply With Quote