Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Nutrition > Supplements

Old 01-12-2007, 09:21 AM   #1
Mark Fenner

Default Glucosamine & Chondroitin

Having recently turned 30 and continuing to train martial arts and weightlifting (powerlifting and ... working on .... Olympic-style) ... I find my joints getting a bit ... well ... achy.

So, I'm looking for two things:

1) Recommendations for brands of glucosamine & chondroitin (perhaps with MSM?). Anyone know the latest dosage information?

2) Anyone use GNC G&C and find themselves happy with it?

Regards,
Mark
Mark Fenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2007, 10:04 AM   #2
Greg Everett
Administrator

I use Jarrow's G + C + MSM.

4 caps of that is 1500 mg G, 1200 mg C and 300 mg MSM. I do 4-6 caps/day.

"Without a doubt the best book on the market about Olympic-style weightlifting." - Mike Burgener, USAW Senior International Coach

American Weightlifting: The Documentary
Catalyst Athletics
Performance Menu Journal
Greg Everett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2007, 10:07 AM   #3
Bobby Spencer

I think that Osteo-Bi Flex is one of the most popular, but I am sure that generic brands like those from Wal-Mart will do. I've tried G and C and it does work. Lately, however, I have used a combination of joint mobility/cals, post-wo contrast showers, Fish Oil caps, alternating heat packs and cold packs, and the occasional Aleve for my sore and aching joints.

Do your joints feel better after you've warmed up a bit or in warmer weather?
Know ye not that your body is the temple of the Holy Ghost which is in you, which ye have of God, and ye are not your own? For ye are bought with a price: therefore glorify God in your body, and in your spirit, which are God's. 1 Corinthians 6:19-20

I beseech you therefore,brethren, by the mercies of God, that ye present your bodies a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable unto God, which is your reasonable service. Romans 12:1
Bobby Spencer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2007, 11:25 AM   #4
Mike ODonnell

A shot of ACV 1-2x a day may do your joints some good (helps break down all those Calcium deposits)

ACV = Apple Cider Vinegar (Raw Unfiltered with the Mother)

and for god's sake...mix a tbsp with 8oz of water....not straight....ok try it straight and you will never make that mistake again....as I found out.

Also just follow an anti-inflammation diet too.....as inflammation never helps the joints out. (There should be a thread on the boards about it somewhere)
Mike ODonnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2007, 07:26 AM   #5
Jay L Swan

The double-blind studies on G & C in osteoarthritis patients don't seem to show any evidence that they work. Are there any studies to show that they have benefits in other populations?
Jay L Swan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2007, 06:46 AM   #6
Mark Fenner

Hello all,

Thanks for your input.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Spencer View Post
Do your joints feel better after you've warmed up a bit or in warmer weather?
Generally, my only chronic issue is a lower back/si-joint/glute/hip thing that I'm steadily chipping away at. This is as much a muscle balance, activation, etc. thing as a joint issue. Joint wise, however, I tore my ankles up badly in high school (volleyball and soccer on crappy fields will do that) and they definitely have some clicky-grindies. The other annoying thing is that when I go hiking, sometimes my knee gets a bit of "snap" to it that becomes quite problemsome after several hours.

On the other side of things, martial arts practice typically involves throwing, being thrown, striking, and being struck. All of which do damage to all sorts of things.

Regards,
Mark
Mark Fenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2007, 09:24 AM   #7
Scott Kustes

Just ordered two bottles of Jarrow. Not having joint problems yet, but at 27 and looking at a life of being active, it's never to early to care for the joints.

Fitness Spotlight
Scott Kustes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2007, 09:47 AM   #8
Elliot Royce

Cosamin DS is supposed to be pure -- not all the brands are made to the same quality.

I know the studies don't show any effect but I found it worked quite well for me when I had osteoarthritis. A significant reduction in pain. Placebo or not -- it worked for me.
Elliot Royce is offline   Reply With Quote