Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Other

Old 01-17-2007, 06:14 PM   #1
Yael Grauer

Default squat tracts

So I was at the gym doing front squats today when a stranger told me I should only do quarter squats because I'll hurt my knees, and I shouldn't clean the bar up because it's dangerous, and on and on. So I told him I wasn't looking for training from him right now and walked away, but then I was thinking that this didn't really solve anything. He still thinks he's right and now he's gonna give me dirty looks next time I see him because I made him look dumb in front of his friend.

So that's when I thought of this brilliant idea I have. Squat tracts! I'm sure some of you are familiar with "Chick tracts," these little tiny booklets people leave all over town because they're too embarrassed to try to convert people to their face. If you're not, go to http://www.chick.com/default.asp for all you need to know.

I mean, all I'd need to do is carry a bunch of these, and then next time a well-intentioned man tries to give me unsolicited training advice, all I'd have to do is say, "Here you go." Only instead of referring to the Bible, I could refer to some training manual somewhere. Instead of quoting the Gospels, I could quote some coaches or something.

The only problem is that I can't draw, so I'm looking for some help here. Any volunteer cartoonists?
Old 01-17-2007, 07:16 PM   #2
Mike ODonnell

I like just asking the person "Have you been saved by the Lord?..."....they all tend to walk away then.
Mike ODonnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2007, 07:18 PM   #3
Yael Grauer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike ODonnell View Post
I like just asking the person "Have you been saved by the Lord?..."....they all tend to walk away then.
Oh, c'mon, OD! Instead of having them walk away, you could bring TRUTH and LIGHT to the gymnasium. Plus, I thought it'd be funny.
Old 01-17-2007, 08:29 PM   #4
Steve Shafley

Yael,

That's awesome. I love it.

Chick tracts are seriously bonkers. They give me much amusement.
Steve Shafley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2007, 08:35 PM   #5
Elliot Royce

Next time he approaches, take a leaf from Slap Shot and say [action in parens]: "actually when it hurts I just drop it [unrack the bar onto him] and then I just pick it up and sweep it up like this [catch him on the chin as you clean or snatch the bar]. If he's still standing, he'll scuttle away.
Elliot Royce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2007, 09:04 PM   #6
Mike ODonnell

As long as they have to sit 1/4 squat in the lake of fire for all their wickedness.....that and a room of all leg extension machines for eternity
Mike ODonnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2007, 09:11 PM   #7
Yuen Sohn

Great idea Yael. You could make a fortune with these.

Quote:
...a stranger told me I should only do quarter squats because I'll hurt my knees, and I shouldn't clean the bar up because it's dangerous, and on and on
Next time he says this, just tell him that "Danger" is your middle name. Then proceed to beat him up and steal his lunch money.
Yuen Sohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2007, 09:26 PM   #8
Yael Grauer

LOL! Y'all are so mean!! I mostly just felt guilty because his friend was laughing at him so hard, and because he'll be doing squats wrong forever unless he picks up one of my Squat Tracts.
Old 01-29-2007, 11:19 PM   #9
Allison Barns

Yael - You need a "Lift Like A Girl" T-shirt (from USAWeightlifting.org) .... I can't wait for mine to arrive (yes -it's PINK!)

Last edited by Allison Barns; 01-29-2007 at 11:20 PM. Reason: Typo
Allison Barns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 12:06 AM   #10
Yael Grauer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allison Barns View Post
Yael - You need a "Lift Like A Girl" T-shirt (from USAWeightlifting.org) .... I can't wait for mine to arrive (yes -it's PINK!)
SWEET! I want one. I've also been hearing rumours of pink boxing gloves and purple ab wheels...

One of the guys I train with (who has spent hours and hours helping me get my punches solid) has a shirt that says "shut up and squat." Love it.