Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Nutrition > Paleo Diet

Old 07-19-2008, 05:16 PM   #1
Fenthis Glusos

Default Honestly, do total calories even matter for fat loss?

I've been eating a ton lately -- more so than usual -- of mostly all Paleo foods and have been dropping BF all the while. My weight has gone up a little bit, but like I said, my body fat levels have gone down... so I look leaner.

Fat loss seems to just occur from the composition of those calories and not the amount of them -- it seems the amount only affects weight level...which is great, considering we all can eat more good food and drop the body fat -- caloric restriction should only be for the obese.

I've also been eating A TON of fruit and it hasn't adversely effected me...so I don't buy into that whole fruit scare -- which is pathetic.
Fenthis Glusos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2008, 06:13 PM   #2
Paul McKirdy

Yea, since finding this site and others, this one has been the biggest nutrional influence, and learning more about paleo and IF, I have not tracked calorie one in what seems like eons. I have however tracked anecdotally my protein and fat intake and used fruits and berries as an energy boost when I need it, and I too have been changing composition. I have actually gained weight also while still dropping waist size and body fat in other areas. This as indicated by people who have been around me the past 6 months too.

Strength is still skyrocketing, +20 PR on deadlift yesterday, pulled 520 three times. I could actually feel my entire POS chain working to open my hips for the first time ever during a deadlift. AND I feel like I could lift twice as much today. Good stuff!

I just eat tons of steamed spinach a pear here and there nuts and tons of good meat and eggs. Paleo - IF is just sick nuts wah hoo!

1200 1200 600 - Go BIG or STAY HOME!

Thanks again to everyone here that disseminate such good information!
Paul McKirdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2008, 06:46 PM   #3
Steve Liberati

Fenthis, how long have you been eating this way for?

I ask b/c I find that the during summer months I can get away with eating a lot more calories including cheat meals and fruits while staying lean than I can in the winter time.

I'm sure this is the case for most others as well.
100,000 generations of humans have been hunters and gatherers; 500 generations have been agriculturalists; ten have lived in the industrial age; and only one has been exposed to the world of computers.

Steve's Club
Crossfit Tribe
Steve Liberati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2008, 07:09 PM   #4
Steven Low
Super Moderator

Of course it matters, heh. Generally, "good/natural" food is less calorically dense than "processed" food hence why it seems like you eat more but not really. Probably near similar amounts of cals. But yes, good quality food does matter some as well especially in terms of health.

Lyle talks about this a little here:
http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/blo...e-of-calories/
Old 07-19-2008, 08:22 PM   #5
Liam Dougherty Springer

Depending on how the diet was befor the change you can experience an initial loss of fat just do to insulin balancing out. Also Protein calories, which often goes up in Paleo diets in particular Cordains version, are more prone than carbs or fat to being turned into heat and thus "wasted".

This probrably wouldn't acount for much fat loss though I am sure. More likely what steve said.
Liam Dougherty Springer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2008, 08:37 PM   #6
Fenthis Glusos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Low View Post
Of course it matters, heh. Generally, "good/natural" food is less calorically dense than "processed" food hence why it seems like you eat more but not really. Probably near similar amounts of cals. But yes, good quality food does matter some as well especially in terms of health.

Lyle talks about this a little here:
http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/blo...e-of-calories/
Well, I eat a lot of nuts -- more so than is probably recommended -- because they're my favorite paleo food. I easily get 1200 calories on nuts alone, and I eat a ton of stuff after that, so...

Only been doing IF for about a month and a half, paleo for a few weeks.

I think the nuts are accelerating my fat loss...
Fenthis Glusos is offline   Reply With Quote