Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Nutrition > General Nutrition

Old 07-21-2008, 10:17 PM   #1
marcus allen

Default IF Questions

Hey folks- I've been experimenting with IF for a few days now and could use some help. The fasting part is working great. My workouts are better and I'm feeling good. However, I can't seem to nail down a balance for the eating windows. Below is some info on my #'s, and I know folks need more specifics before concrete suggestions can be made. My question: Should I use something like the Zone to get started, then fast with that, or are the better options?

7-18
Cals 2001 Fat 88(42%) Carbs 125(20%) Prot 163(34%)

7-19
2614 73(26) 269(39) 131(21)

7-20
934 29(30) 72(25) 98(45)

7-21
2058 69(30) 211(38) 154(31)

Carbs are fruits and veggies, protein is mostly chicken and turkey, a few eggs a little dairy and fats are mostly dairy, some avocado and fish oil.

Thanks in advance for any help, and patience with a noob.

Marcus

PS- Goal is drop weight, gain strength. I am 215# and about 23% BF.
marcus allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 06:33 AM   #2
Allen Yeh

Marcus,

Welcome, it seems like your last 4 days are kind of all over the place.

I see your goal is to drop weight and gain strength. I think you should pick one the goal as to drop weight, and if you happen to increase your strength along the way great but trying to do both at the same time seems to be asking a bit much.

How disciplined have you been about eating prior to starting IF? I wouldn't think that IF is something that someone should start for weightloss. I would work on eating cleanly first and transitioning to IF after you have eating clean down. Pick numbers to shoot for in terms of caloric intake and once you can do that consistently and with good food choices to transition to IF. Once you have been IF'ing for a bit you can then lower the caloric intake because you will find you just won't need as much. I would shoot for at least 1gram of protein/LBM and go from there.

Another option is to IF a few days a week and eat on a regular schedule the other days.
Allen Yeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 07:39 AM   #3
Mike ODonnell

What are your workouts? If I am reading the above correctly you had some high carb days. Best way to lean out is find a balance of lower carbs unless you are doing them around your workouts....even then you may not need as much as you think.
Old 07-22-2008, 09:09 AM   #4
marcus allen

Hey guys, thanks for the replies.
No my diet was not very clean prior to starting IF. Basically, I tried it one evening, had a fantastic workout the next morning so thought I'd try it a few days a week in addition to cleaning up my intake.

I basically follow CF, with some PM thrown in, all weights scaled(CF) and I'm trying to move to shorter more intense met-cons.

Right now I'm at 210# 5'9" 37 yom, 23% BF 735 CFT. My one year goal is 185# and 1000CFT(the name of my log at CFHQ).

I've been on Zone before and did well, but burned out on measuring. I've been using FitDay for the past week. I had been logging all info at the end of the day, now I'm trying to log as I eat so I can try to adjust as necessary.

I'm also in a fiendish info gathering mode for Paleo, but I have to accomodate my family so....

Thanks again for all the great help.
Old 07-22-2008, 09:19 AM   #5
Mike ODonnell

work on getting quality foods in and dumping all sugars first. Clean eating on IF works alot better than IFOC (IF on crap). Start slow with IF, couple days...see how it works. Make sure you are getting enough quality protein in. Time your carbs to pwo or cycle them weekly. Use the weekends to free up from IF and just enjoy other foods.

In the end IF is just a tool (not a diet plan) to help you figure out the best way to eat for you....listen to your body, eat healthy and it should be much more fun and keep you sane in the long run. There's more than one way to eat on IF....zone like....paleo....low carb....etc. Find what works best for you. Personally people who lose the most weight usually have to lower carbs and then do smaller carb loads once in a while like after workouts.

If you haven't already seen it, I have a blog with some good info....plug!
Old 07-22-2008, 11:32 AM   #6
marcus allen

Mike- I really like your website, it convinced me to give IF a try. Yeah- cleaning up the intake is my priority right now and will move forward when I feel better about that. There are probably some links you could give me, or anyone else for that matter, but I could use more info on the Carb Cycling part. Further I fight with hypothyroidism and probably insulin resistance as well.
Thanks
Old 07-22-2008, 12:54 PM   #7
Mike ODonnell

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcus allen View Post
Mike- I really like your website, it convinced me to give IF a try. Yeah- cleaning up the intake is my priority right now and will move forward when I feel better about that. There are probably some links you could give me, or anyone else for that matter, but I could use more info on the Carb Cycling part. Further I fight with hypothyroidism and probably insulin resistance as well.
Thanks
Ok, I missed the hypothyroidism part.....so definitely work on cleaner foods, stabilizing your blood sugar/insulin first. IF should be eased into...like 1-2 short fasts a week until you can learn to get plenty of calories from clean foods. You would do well to dump all breads. You could try small fruit pwo for now....wouldn't cycle too much on the carbs just yet. Of course a lower carb diet will do well for reversing insulin resistance.
Old 07-22-2008, 08:15 PM   #8
marcus allen

Today my eating messed up a bit by work. My ambulance got busy so I had a "mini-fast" before I could eat again.

Cals 1450 Fat 42(28%) Carbs 51(12%) Prot 210(61%)

And I resorted to a slice of whole wheat bread jsut to get some carbs. My choices should be better tomorrow as we got to the grocery today so...

I feel very physically satisfied at that low cal amount and the protein is a bit more than 1g per lean lb. but I worry my already slow metabolism will slow more at low caloric intake, any thoughts?

By the way, the fat is mostly eggs a little natty PB, carbs are broccoli and zucchini(and that dang slice of bread) and protein is eggs, chicken and turkey.