Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Olympic Weightlifting

Old 01-18-2007, 04:45 PM   #11
Frank Needham

As mentioned before I'm currently doing the SS novice program as Rxd and the work sets are to be 3 across, meaning if your 1st work set is 195 then the 2nd and 3rd (final) will be 195 also.

Ok, I just looked more closely at your setup. Rippetoe's setup goes more like this for example:
Squats
W R S
45 5 2
95 5 1
135 3 1
185 2 1
205 5 3
I think you are bumping up warmups too much Elliot. I know for almost certain that you're in better shape than I even discounting the hip and I'm doing this program in like 45 mins on average 3X per week.
Here's what mine look like for comparison:
Squats
W R S
95 5 2
135 5 1
165 3 1
185 2 1
195 5 3

Bench
W R S
95 5 2
120 5 1
155 3 1
165 2 1
175 5 3

Deads
W R S
135 5 1
165 3 1
195 2 1
215 5 3
230 5 1

Press
W R S
85 5 2
95 5 1
105 3 1
115 2 1
125 5 3

Clean
W R S
85 5 2
95 5 1
105 3 1
115 2 1
125 5 3
Old 01-18-2007, 05:50 PM   #12
Mike ODonnell

As far as warmups go....I try to keep them as short as possible.

I dont think you need more than 2 sets for DL if you already did a full squat progression. I dont think you need more than 2 sets for press if you do a full bench progression.

Also watch your weights on the warmup sets so dont take away from your work sets.

Work on mobility and flexibility post workout and you should be pretty injury free.
Mike ODonnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2007, 12:36 AM   #13
Rick Deckart
Banned

Elliot,

nowadays I usually don't like high rep stuff that much, but one of the best programs I have used is the John Bott squat rehabilitation program:

http://www.elitefts.com/documents/squatrehabprogram.htm

It is very monotonous and takes 5-6 weeks to complete one cycle, but it works very very well. I used this little program to bring my OHS to a current top set of 80kg x 13 reps at a bodyweight of 79kg within roughly a month. I think 80kg x 8 reps x 8 sets I could OHS pretty much any day of the week, so I feel safe to say it works quite good.

Repeating the cycle two times should bring you to 130kg x 7 reps x 7 sets given you use the progresson as outlined in the document and given all goes well. Don't laugh at the tiny weights in the first minicycles, it gets heavy soon enough.

Regards,

Peter
Rick Deckart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2007, 05:55 AM   #14
Steve Shafley

Peter,

I don't think that a program like that is going to be successful in equal amounts every time you run through it, and I've found, for me, anyway, that each run through a program has diminished it's returns, especially if you do it back to back. In fact, I'd doubt very highly if two runs though that program would produce OHS

Elliot: I wouldn't worry about specializing in the bench, dead, or squat at this point.

Quote:
In other words, the neural recovery plus general energy level gets sapped by the bench? Very good point. Would probably make sense to just do presses each day instead of alternating bench and press.

When you can bench press more than you can squat or deadlift, then you're right: something is not balanced!
At this point in time, I'd say, "No" about the bench hindering squat gains. If anything, it's the other way around. In addition to this; you had two hips replaced. This is a major trauma to the body, and, in addition, those hips are probably not as functional as two natural hips. You need to keep this in your mind as you go through the trials of learning and re-learning how to lift.

I don't know how much wear and tear artificial hips can take, and I don't know how much loading they can sustain, but, benching, and the fact that you are lying down, taking the load off your hips, is probably a decent thing to include in your program, just for that reason.
Steve Shafley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2007, 06:41 AM   #15
Rick Deckart
Banned

Steve,

diminishing return is probably true and John Bott was certainly not a beginner, that is he had a good squat before his injury to begin with. So 130kg should of course be taken with a grain of salt, besides these numbers are based on a higher bodyweight than Elliots.

Anyway I thought it might be good to give a link to a rehab squat program. I tried to get the publication of Narcessian but wasn't successful so far...

And yes I used this program, also with different poundages and only one run, during last december as you probably know and for me it did produce a significant increase in my OHS from a former best 82.2kg x 3 reps to 80kg x 13 reps within roughly a month, but I understand that you are a little reserved.

Regards,

Peter
Rick Deckart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2007, 11:59 AM   #16
Elliot Royce

Thanks for all the good advice. I'm going to use the Starr beginner spreadsheet for now, which has good progressions in it. I also want to pursue O lifting more seriously so my coach there will be giving me the more technical lifts to do. I still think it's good to continue with the basic Rippetoe lifts to build the foundation, particularly on my legs which are a weak link.

And I've got Magnificent Mobility to try out this weekend.

Thanks again for all the quality advice!
Elliot Royce is offline   Reply With Quote