Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Nutrition > General Nutrition

Old 07-30-2008, 05:57 AM   #1
joe waguespack

Default Shorter -vs- longer fasts, does it make a difference?

So I tried IF for about a month, I was following a 19/5 -fast/eat schedule. I loved everything about it except that it completely destroyed me as far as training and recovery goes. I was training fasted , which doesn't work for me unless it's first thing in the morning, and I don't think I was getting enough calories in for recovery. I decided to go back on the Zone as I had been doing for about a year with great results all around. I find that after experiencing the freedom of IF I just can't bare to go back to the "5-6 meals a day,eat every 3 hours" way of life.

I was looking at the Leangains site and thought maybe a shorter fast (16 hours) with a pre workout meal might be the way to go for me and my goals.

My question is , does a shorter fast effect the benefits of the fast? I remember when I first started researching IF I read an article( can't find it again for the life of me) that stated that the fast should be at least 18 hours and the benefits of the fast do not "kick in " until an 18 hour point. Does this have any validity at all?
joe waguespack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 06:04 AM   #2
Ari Kestler

How about just zoning as normal, but 1-2 days a week you IF or fast the entire day...then you get the best of both worlds. Having an 8 hour eating window with 4 meals could also be a hybrid between the 2. Maybe try not eating until Post workout on ME days, but eating throughout on metcons...dunno just some thoughts...
Ari Kestler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 06:57 AM   #3
Liam Dougherty Springer

At different times I have tried all of Aris suggestions and they work. I like to get in at least one realy good fast a week like 20+ but other than that 16 is about avg. And be sure to have one day of full eating. The only days I WO fasted are days I don't work so thats like twice a week if sunday isn't a rest. I use the eat very light before WO like 4-6 blocks in 0ne or two snack like meals being sure that I dont eat for at least two hours befor a work out. WO fasted or eating right 30 min - hour) before strength days both seem to work for me depending on if I am gaining or cutting.
Liam Dougherty Springer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 07:03 AM   #4
Mike ODonnell

There are too many "benefits"......most studies are done on ADF or CR diets....improvements in GH, insulin levels, stress response feedback, SIRT expression...etc...etc.

With your training volume you can try eating through an 8 hour period....that's my average day. Doesn't mean you have to go back to eating 6 meals and falling into that trap. You could also play around with adding in a 24hr fast here and there if you want to longer stimulus.

In the end....don't sweat the details too much....find what works for you....don't keep your IF routine....and just enjoy eating and not obsess over it...that and quality of foods will lead to improved health down the road no doubt. Longer fasts may give different stress response stimulus at the cellular level....but shorter fasts can also help improve other health factors as well....use them both if you can. Just remember to keep the "I" in IF. Fasting is supposed to be an acute stressor...not a routine adaption for the body.
Old 07-30-2008, 07:07 AM   #5
joe waguespack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ari Kestler View Post
How about just zoning as normal, but 1-2 days a week you IF or fast the entire day...then you get the best of both worlds. Having an 8 hour eating window with 4 meals could also be a hybrid between the 2. Maybe try not eating until Post workout on ME days, but eating throughout on metcons...dunno just some thoughts...
That was going to be my original plan , but just being back Zoning for two days and I already didn't feel as good as I did doing IF. I just need to figure out how to work the fast along with my training schedule and activity levels. I run my own training facility , so I am going all day long, plus doing my own training as well. The IF worked great with my schedule, just think I was going to low on calories and carbs, and doing strength days fasted definitely does not work for me. But I guess thats what it's all about, experimentation and figuring out what works. My main concern was that a 16 hour fast was to short. But it seems many are using a 16/8 schedule with good results.
joe waguespack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 07:12 AM   #6
Allen Yeh

I prefer shorter fasts, otherwise it is just a huge pain in the ass to get all the calories in.

When I do longer fasts it'll be a once in a while thing, I typically go 14-16 hours and every now and again I'll do a 19-20. MOD will say to make the IF, well intermittent! If the IF is affecting your training, definitely cut down the IF or vary up your schedule.

I found I got the best results when I wa able to do this:
IF 5 days a week at 15 hours, no IF on the weekends.
Allen Yeh is offline   Reply With Quote