Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Nutrition > Paleo Diet

Old 07-30-2008, 04:32 PM   #1
Trygve Lunde

Default PWO for fat loss and performance

Ive read all the threads about pwo nutrition in this forum but there was one thing that was lacking.

My goal is lower fat % and of course good recovery so i can perform at a high level always. So should i consume whey protein powder and liquid carb of maltrodexin right after a soccer practice or weight training?
or should i go for a PWO meal? and whats in this meal? and how long can i wait?
Does this meal consist of high fat, high protein and high carb? or only carb and protein? and what about the carb source? since fructose isnt a good carb pwo since its going to the liver not the muscles. So what kind of food should i eat that contains carbs for muscles?
Trygve Lunde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 06:34 PM   #2
Steve Liberati

Keep fat low (<10 grams) during post-workout. Fat slows down the absorption of protein and carbs when you want to quickly shuttle both macronutrients to your muscles cells after you just broke them down from training.

If you are engaging in a high intensity glycogen depleting workout, I'd opt for some fruit, half of a yam and some lean protein.

For strength based workout, I would go for a more balanced meal post-workout. Veggies, little fruit and protein.

Disregard the bodybuilder magazine fueled hype about the liquid carb/protein drinks post workout and as long as you eat something within an hour or two of training you are fine.

Experiment, take notes, and adapt.
100,000 generations of humans have been hunters and gatherers; 500 generations have been agriculturalists; ten have lived in the industrial age; and only one has been exposed to the world of computers.

Steve's Club
Crossfit Tribe
Steve Liberati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 06:52 PM   #3
Steven Low
Super Moderator

To be honest, you don't necessarily need to eat (can do IF) after a workout. There's a couple of threads on this in IF forum I believe. However, if it's a long game you should probably eat; if it was a brief weightlifting session or something that's debatable. Depends what your body is going to respond to best.

But if you are going to eat what Steve said.
Old 07-30-2008, 06:55 PM   #4
Mike ODonnell

No sugar drinks, you don't need them esp if you are trying to go low carb and lose fat (and teach your body to burn more fat).....just eat whole foods and you will do fine...fruit....veggies.....rice.....etc. No fat pwo is needed either, lean proteins and fruit/veggies/rice. Add some omega 3 to your diet too. Stay away from grains/wheat if you can....that's a whole nother monster in the gut.
Old 07-30-2008, 07:30 PM   #5
Ari Kestler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike ODonnell View Post
No sugar drinks, you don't need them esp if you are trying to go low carb and lose fat (and teach your body to burn more fat).....just eat whole foods and you will do fine...fruit....veggies.....rice.....etc. No fat pwo is needed either, lean proteins and fruit/veggies/rice. Add some omega 3 to your diet too. Stay away from grains/wheat if you can....that's a whole nother monster in the gut.
rice? Do my eyes deceive me?
Ari Kestler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 07:34 PM   #6
Mike ODonnell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ari Kestler View Post
rice? Do my eyes deceive me?
Nope. If you want to go 100% Paleo, then go for it....but it won't kill you once in a while and is a better choice than anything wheat....and a hell of alot better than a huge protein drink with loads of maltrodextrin. Shouldn't be the staple of your diet but can sub in the pwo window as needed, all depends on how much carbs you are trying to get in...and how sick you are of sweet potatoes and other veggies (or convenience factor of where you get your meals). Fruit takes priority in the pwo window and most Veggies take priority all the other eating times....so once in a while people need a mental break. Or this could be a better list to choose from: (that I took from this page which is a pretty good list to refer people to)

Fruit:
Apple
Apricot
Avocado
Banana
Blackberries
Blueberries
Boysenberries
Cantaloupe
Carambola
Cassava melon
Cherimoya
Cherries
Cranberries
Figs
Gooseberries
Grapefruit
Grapes
Guava
Honeydew melon
Kiwi
Lemon
Lime
Lychee
Mango
Nectarine
Orange
Papaya
Passion fruit
Peaches
Pears
Persimmon
Pineapple
Plums
Pomegranate
Raspberries
Rhubarb
Star fruit
Strawberries
Tangerine
Watermelon

Vegetables:
Artichoke
Asparagus
Beet greens
Beets
Bell peppers
Broccoli
Brussels sprouts
Cabbage
Carrots
Cauliflower
Celery
Collards
Cucumber
Dandelion
Eggplant
Endive
Green onions
Kale
Kohlrabi
Lettuce
Mushrooms
Mustard greens
Onions
Parsley
Parsnip
Peppers (all kinds)
Pumpkin
Purslane
Radish
Rutabaga
Seaweed
Spinach
Squash (all kinds)
Swiss chard
Tomatillos
Tomato (actually a fruit, but most people think of it as a vegetable)
Turnip greens
Turnips
Watercress

Last edited by Mike ODonnell; 07-30-2008 at 07:52 PM.
Mike ODonnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 07:59 PM   #7
Steve Liberati

How did I forget my two favorite post-workout, psuedo cheat meals: Lara bars and Root Vegetable Chips from Trader Joe's. This follows after a tough, CrossFit metcon-favored workout. Works as a great motivational tool and mental reward.
100,000 generations of humans have been hunters and gatherers; 500 generations have been agriculturalists; ten have lived in the industrial age; and only one has been exposed to the world of computers.

Steve's Club
Crossfit Tribe
Steve Liberati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 12:09 AM   #8
Trygve Lunde

great thanx.

as im doing IF, and say i eat around 1 hour after exersice. When should my next meal be? the one with much fat and protein and some veggies
Trygve Lunde is offline   Reply With Quote