Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Nutrition > Supplements

Old 08-22-2008, 12:20 PM   #1
Achintya Rana

Default Chromium...?

Have you guys heard of or use Chromium? Here's the description from the bodybuilding.com store:

"Chromium, a trace mineral, is essential to the body's production of insulin. Insulin is a hormone that stabilizes the body's blood sugar level. Research shows that chromium is an essential part of our diet. It can have many beneficial results when supplemented. It enhances insulin's effect in the body, improving the uptake of glucose, thereby causing better blood circulation and maintenance of blood sugar level. Gaining energy, burning fat, and building muscle with greater ease are attributed to chromium, to name a few. It assists the body in losing weight by helping it to build muscle to replace fat. Lowering body fat and increasing lean body mass are just a few of the positive properties that chromium exhibits on the body. Research shows that supplementation also has some age slowing effects and therefore can increase the life span! Whoa, that is powerful!

I'm thinking about taking this along with some ZMA before bedtime, but I was just wondering if anyone's taken Chromium before and what you think of it

PS. I'm on a low-carb diet so it sounded pretty interesting
Old 08-22-2008, 08:55 PM   #2
Tony Ferous

I dont know of any reason to take it at bed time, id take it with a meal. Its probably more important on high carb diets, but i still make sure i get 100-200mcg with my multi vit as people are generally deficient.
It helps improve insulin sensitivity, you might get a little more muscle and a little less fat over the long term, no big bang effects...
Tony Ferous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2008, 12:53 AM   #3
Gittit Shwartz

It's also been found to help with certain types of depression.
http://linkinghub.elsevier.com/retri...06322302015007
Here is a writeup from Science Daily:
http://psychologytoday.com/articles/...14-000003.html