Polish stores are money (for little money)
Ok not sure if that thread title works or not.
But just wondering if anyone else is finding *real* polish delis to be a real treasure for paleo eating (cheap and rare stuff). I'm a little weary of the amount of salt used but here are some things I've been buying at a few local polish stores that seem to use real traditional methods:
<in order of "money-ness">
- raw sauerkraut (available in bulk, huge buckets to pull from its great, so cheap)
- pickles (same as above, and for both you can find bucket "gradients" ranging from barely fermented to fully)
- smoked mackerel fillets
- beet and cabbage based salads (ive asked if there is any hidden sugar and they say no)
- fermented beet kvas (ok the taste doesnt agree with everyone but if u need some cheap probiotics in your diet..)
- steak tartar
- sausage and cheese (i try to buy grass-fed from other sources but barring that these polish stores have great prices and selection)
- kefir (on occasion)
I won't touch the salted herring as I tried this once and whooa that is way too much salt!