Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Olympic Weightlifting

Old 08-31-2008, 01:55 PM   #1
Justin Garvey

Default clean form

With some suggestions from Gant I believe my cleans are becoming cleaner they feel efficient. The first is 170 and the last two are 185, chime in on what ya'll think, thx
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wz8GJai69I4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vyO3hrBIE5U
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ddlv0jzzBro
Old 08-31-2008, 02:16 PM   #2
Derek Maffett

Not quite full extension. This seems to cause the bar to be too far away, shifting you forward just a little in the catch.

Flare your knees out. Didn't look like you were doing this.

Get proper weightlifting shoes, increase flexibility, and make sure to set your back tight in an arch. Also, your set position often shifts forward (perhaps too much) just before the pull. Find where you're going to pull from and try to avoid losing that position when you start.
Derek Maffett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 11:23 AM   #3
Jacob Rowell

Good advice from Derek. My $.02 would simply be to stay on your heels longer. It looks like you're getting up on your toes before the weight has even passed your knees, instead of when you're approaching full extension. Think about that while you're lifting, and that may be enough to get your weight shifted back a bit.

I think I may post this as a disclaimer to any advice given concerning o-lifting technique given on the internet by myself. First, correct the simple things, like start positions. Then, take one piece of advice you get, and work on that. Don't take everything people are telling you to do, and trying all of it at once. Take something that makes sense in your head, drill it like crazy, take another video, and post again.

Good luck.
Jacob Rowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 12:07 PM   #4
Arien Malec

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek Maffett View Post
Also, your set position often shifts forward (perhaps too much) just before the pull. Find where you're going to pull from and try to avoid losing that position when you start.
Not to pile on, but I think that's the key issue. His hips should start lower, and he raises his hips even more before the pull. He's out of position after the first pull, and everything cascades from there.

I'd focus on starting hips down, chest up, and focus chest up for the first pull.

But I'm far from an expert, so when a real expert (like Greg) weighs in here, listen to him, not me.
Arien Malec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 10:05 AM   #5
John Kaupp

The one problem that has not been addressed yet is the bar path up that affects the extension and being forward. You need to keep the bar moving in as straight a line as possible. You are bringing the bar around the knees (instead of moving your knees back) which causes the bar to be out in front and maybe even cause your 2nd pull to start to soon. I don't know if lowering the hips off the start would help this, if anyting raise the hips. This should help you stay back in your heels longer, push your knees back(not to locked out though) as the bar comes of the floor so the bar is moving straight and get to mid thigh before you start the second pull. Be patient on that second pull. When the bar is at mid thigh before the second pull, your shoulders should be in front of the bar, and they never seem to get there in the video.
John Kaupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2008, 09:25 AM   #6
Justin Garvey

Thanks for the input, i have been referencing all the video on this site.My ooda loop on observation has been limited concerning my start position and beginning of pull from the floor.I have never noticed the knees making way for the bar.when i see the hips raise on vids, i do that, but do not pull knees back creating straight path for bar.I am specifically refrenceing clean and jerk vid from demos. There is alot going on! Back to the bar (not a drinking bar)
I really appreciate all the advice.
Justin
Old 09-07-2008, 08:24 PM   #7
Greg Everett
Administrator

It's tough to see in that video what I want to see, so I'm going to comment more on a few of the comments here than the video itself.

RE bar up in a straight line - not necessarily. The bar should actually move backward from off the floor. It should be starting over the base of the toes; the moment it separates, the shins will have moved back (and make sure the knees are flared to the sides like Derek said) so the bar can be pulled back into the body. Think of pulling back, not straight up. If you start the bar in the correct position, have a good back angle, etc. the knees will be out of the way by the time the bar gets to them - don't think of pushing the knees back, because invariably that attempt shoots the hips up and leaves the shoulders/bar behind.

"Without a doubt the best book on the market about Olympic-style weightlifting." - Mike Burgener, USAW Senior International Coach

American Weightlifting: The Documentary
Catalyst Athletics
Performance Menu Journal
Greg Everett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 10:47 AM   #8
Arden Cogar Jr.

I thought his shoulders should be further over the bar at the start of the movement.

But I defer to the more learned. I'm a novice personafied.

All the best,
Arden
Arden Cogar Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote