Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Fitness, Strength & CrossFit

Old 10-12-2008, 05:38 AM   #21
Peter Dell'Orto

Thanks for the replies. That's about what I suspected - too much for what you get.
Old 10-12-2008, 06:26 AM   #22
George Mounce

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike ODonnell View Post
Most people spending the $1000 either have no real understanding of what they want to do with it and have the expendible income.....or already have the certs neccesary to open a fitness business and want another one. $1000 is very steep by any level of professional fitness certification, and while the main one I know little about...the fact that it has branched into other silly certs like jumproping makes me think less of the whole idea.
I have to agree. I went because I had the expendable income. I plan on going to an Oly cert sometime next year because to me that is a real key to my training. I wish I had attended one of those instead of the Level 1. I had planned to affiliate at some time, so it was at the time worth it for me to go, but I dropped that goal for personal reasons quite some time ago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike ODonnell View Post
In the end....you make a living not by your cert....but by getting people results. However a fitness business makes money by selling people on needing more certs. The info is out there for free.....$1000 for a weekend of fun is better spent drinking tequilla with half naked women on a beach.
QFT. Results are what matters. I do think that soon you will see a huge restructuring of the requirements for CF affiliation after events such as the lawsuit. I also believe you'll see a lot less people being accepted as affiliates, so take that into account, level 1 is not enough these days. The customer is way too smart, considering the amount of free information available about CrossFit.

If you spend $1000 on tequila, please invite me, and it better be the good stuff.

But again, if the money is spent, rest 1 day prior, brink a notebook, bring a list of questions you want answered, and be prepared for 4-5 workouts while there. Water helps a lot. Don't drink a ton before or while there, you'll just ruin the experience.
George Mounce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2008, 12:29 PM   #23
Michael Halbfish

Default Level 1 Cert Recommended

Ultimately it depends upon your goals, needs, and budget. I attended one of the first trainer certs. There were about 10 people in my class. It was a 3 day course taught by Coach Glassman at CFHQ.

I found that the course was extremely worthwhile. At the time, there were no specialty certs. I believe the Level 1 format is now 2 days, and it is taught by teams of trainers.

I would like to go back and repeat the Level 1 Cert as well as doing the other Crossfit Certifications.

At the time that I took the Certification, I was not expecting to use the Certification professionally. However, this past year I started training some people professionally at a local Powerhouse gym. While a previous poster indicated that certain other certifications are more widely recognized, this Certification was sufficient to get me the job.

During the business week I train at a Workout World (WOW) gym. When one of the trainers learned that I was Crossfit certified (my workouts were the advertisement - not my mouth), word quickly spread to the other trainers. They are all very impressed by the certification and some are interested in pursuing it.

Good luck,
Mike
Michael Halbfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 10:32 AM   #24
Adam Gagliardi

Thanks for the advice...pretty much the reason i asked here and not on CF..i didnt want to hear that it's the greatest thing ever, just honest opinions...yes, the $ is spent, luckly i already have a gym...and yes there is the possibility of affiliation...thanks again--ooohhh and I'm glad i got a discount (FF) lol....should be fun
Adam Gagliardi is offline   Reply With Quote