Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Powerlifting, Strongman & Grip Training

Old 10-13-2008, 04:12 PM   #11
Dave Van Skike

For any died in the wool Cf'ers that are being put to sleep by this thread, ya'll should check out Kurtis and the RCF crew.

http://www.rainiercrossfit.com/raini...nd_laurie.html

They have some legit lightweight strong guys there and put on a good (albiet a little weird) event in Sumner every year that benefits the fragile x foundation.
Old 10-13-2008, 05:08 PM   #12
George Mounce

I'm really enjoying the thread, problem is I'm too short at 5'11", and the ejection seat has a max weight. Strongman would be fun as hell as I put on muscle and weight very easily when I eat myself silly. Oh well, not in this life, maybe I'll come back as a 6'5" Viking.
George Mounce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 05:52 PM   #13
Arden Cogar Jr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Mounce View Post
I'm really enjoying the thread, problem is I'm too short at 5'11", and the ejection seat has a max weight. Strongman would be fun as hell as I put on muscle and weight very easily when I eat myself silly. Oh well, not in this life, maybe I'll come back as a 6'5" Viking.
George,
Let me tell you something, Marius is listed as 5'11". However, I had an opportunity to meet him when the WSM was in Charleston this year. If he's 5'11", I'm 6'1". I'd say he's closer to 5'8" or 5'9". Moreover, Derek Poundstone is not much taller. Darren Sadler is maybe 5'6". Jarek Dymek is not more than 5'7".

Yep, that height helps tons. Especially in the leverage events. But the cross training benefits of strongman events (on the lighter side) are great, if not awesome , GPP.

I've often joked that I'd love to take a bunch of xfitters on a lumberjack "wood run." Basically, I go out in the woods, find a tree as close to the road as I can, fall the tree, cut the tree up into 26" long blocks, then shoulder and carry the blocks out of the woods and throw them in the back of my truck. If the blocks are too big to carry, I'll wollow the bastards out of the woods, and find a way to get them in the back of my truck.

GPP at it's finest - like strongman - it's kinda like real work.

All the best,
Arden
Arden Cogar Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 06:11 PM   #14
Jacob Rowell

As both a hardcore CFer (when i want to be) and a lightweight strongman competitor, good thread.

I've done two comps now. One back in April, one in July. The april one, i competed in the 175s, got 5th out of 9. The july one, I upped to 200's, weighting only 183, and got my ass handed to me in a bad bad way.

I'm spending time right now getting generally stronger. I was doing a lot of o-lifting, now it's mostly squats, deads, and presses.

I'm halfway decent with the stones. I've lapped a 315. I can't press for shit, but I can deadlift OK.

Here's me at the first contest, if you're into watching a 175#, 6'2" hippie playing with large rocks.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=43I5q6DYkUk
Jacob Rowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 06:34 PM   #15
Dave Van Skike

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Mounce View Post
...for every event that favors height (stones) there's a short range dead or press that favors shorties...
Old 10-14-2008, 03:44 AM   #16
Adam Gagliardi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Van Skike View Post
...for every event that favors height (stones) there's a short range dead or press that favors shorties...
So True
Adam Gagliardi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 03:47 AM   #17
Adam Gagliardi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacob Rowell View Post
As both a hardcore CFer (when i want to be) and a lightweight strongman competitor, good thread.

I've done two comps now. One back in April, one in July. The april one, i competed in the 175s, got 5th out of 9. The july one, I upped to 200's, weighting only 183, and got my ass handed to me in a bad bad way.

I'm spending time right now getting generally stronger. I was doing a lot of o-lifting, now it's mostly squats, deads, and presses.

I'm halfway decent with the stones. I've lapped a 315. I can't press for shit, but I can deadlift OK.

Here's me at the first contest, if you're into watching a 175#, 6'2" hippie playing with large rocks.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=43I5q6DYkUk
Jacob--what contests have you done, is that this past years Kumite..i went to the 2007 contest out there

here's a vid from the weekend
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ucpy9kigqM
Adam Gagliardi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 06:48 AM   #18
Derek Simonds

Well Jacob you have gave me hope. I told Leo a couple of weeks ago that I wanted to compete in a strongman event as lightweight. I guess I will have to find a local one I can start training for.

Adam really nice work. That chain is awesome.

http://westvolusiawellness.com/
Derek Simonds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 08:23 AM   #19
Arden Cogar Jr.

Jacob and Adam,
Love the videos. Awesome Stuff.

Keep up the good work.

All the best,
Arden
Arden Cogar Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 08:49 AM   #20
Dave Van Skike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Gagliardi View Post
Jacob--what contests have you done, is that this past years Kumite..i went to the 2007 contest out there

here's a vid from the weekend
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ucpy9kigqM
That's a nice chain!