Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Nutrition > Weight Gain, Weight Loss, Body Composition

Old 10-11-2008, 10:31 AM   #21
Liam Dougherty Springer

So about the 1 lb. a week thing I don't know look at these numbers.

BW: 168 BF: 10%

12 days into stregth programing and feast

BW: 177 BF:12%

about 4.5 lbs. both ways. Maybe a little more fat do to some of the weight being added food to the gut however if anything I have a little less water weight than the initial weigh. regardless I am sure I have gained more than 1# of muscle a week so far.

So I have been tweaking the diet and we will see on tues. but it is alredy obviouse the fat gain has slowed and the weight gain is still coming. My BF% has not been incresing for a few days now. The strength gains are honestly surpriseing. Nothing real good to compare as far as equal rep set maxes yet but I am easily reaching and often surpasing my goals which I usually set above my expectations. In short this is an incredible success so far.

I figure these initial gains are gonna be much heftier than the weeks further out but we'll see.
Liam Dougherty Springer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 01:39 PM   #22
Liam Dougherty Springer

Man so I am changeing my weigh in to Sun as it is post carb load and 24 hrs. into recovery on a rest day.

Still 20 days in the strength is and the weight gains are surprising me.

today I weighed in at 182 and measured 13%BFish... maybe alittle over sometimes I just don't trust the machine.... but I am always using the same one and I know ruffly how close it is to a 10 point skin fold so I feel I can use it to at least measure differences between weigh ins.

that would bring me to a gain of 14lbs with a gain of ~7lb. fat so it seems as though I have gained ~7lb. muscle in 20 days.

There is no way I am off by a whole lot there so the 1 lb. a week thing so far looks like BS. We'll see as I continue if this trend changes.
Old 10-21-2008, 12:17 PM   #23
Gant Grimes
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike ODonnell View Post
Highly doubt a few 2x10s are going to overtrain you unless you go to failure. Strength is more CNS responsive than glycolitic, but you can deplete muscle glycogen and prime for reloading and growth (of course best used 1-2x a week). Can't hurt as it's not the main focus and also the bigger you are, the stronger you will get. Everyone does it....even the boys at Westside.
I took a page from their book to good effect. I followed my pressed with 4x15 DB overhead presses. I followed bench presses with 4x8 push presses*. My shoulders and triceps got bigger and stronger which led to improved pressing numbers. Keep your principal lifts heavy and do the hypertrophy stuff with your auxiliary exercises. Big begets strong begets big and so on.

*I might have had quicker results doing 4x15 DH OH presses, but I wanted push presses in the program.

As for loading, I like cookie dough ice cream with lots of strawberries and Magic Shell. Negro Modelo and steak enchiladas work well, too.**

**There is an APB out for my lower abs, so take my advice with a grain of salt.
Old 10-21-2008, 07:04 PM   #24
Liam Dougherty Springer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gant Grimes View Post
As for loading, I like cookie dough ice cream with lots of strawberries and Magic Shell. Negro Modelo and steak enchiladas work well, too.**

**There is an APB out for my lower abs, so take my advice with a grain of salt.
I am feelin ya brother but it sure is fun.
Old 10-26-2008, 06:43 AM   #25
Liam Dougherty Springer

So no Carb ups for a week and I have lost 5-6 lbs. I figure this is mostly water and glycogen. However I have also lost ~1.5 lbs. of fat by my measurments with a BF% calobrator and Medical style scale. I am 176.5 and 12.5%BF my strength gains have continued all week and I wont carb up again till next sat. I have also been IFing and eating less. 18hr. IF at the end of rest day till just before training.

Still eating around 1g/#LBM on avg. and keeping animal fats high. I am glad at the fat loss I also am glad at the continued strength gains I am hopeing I don't hit any plateaus do to CNS fatigue before I start eating big again. Then I will probably train for two more weeks eating big before takeing a week off training total of 7 weeks training.