Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Nutrition > General Nutrition

Old 11-06-2008, 04:23 PM   #21
Gittit Shwartz

Trygve, you seem to be suffering from information overload. Otherwise known as "paralysis by analysis".
Pick a plan and stick with it for a few weeks. When you've given it a fair trial, evaluate and change something if it hasn't been working. Or better yet, find a smart trainer to tell you what to do. Let someone else stress the details, while you put the plan to work and watch what happens. It's a good way to start learning... better than reading till your eyes are spinning in opposite directions.
Good luck!
G
Old 11-07-2008, 10:07 AM   #22
Gant Grimes
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Loizides View Post
Gant,
I agree that 5-6% BF (or 6-8% like originally posted) isn't inherently healthy or athletic, but it isn't inherently unhealthy or unathletic either. Actually, most elite athletes are probably in this range.
I don't believe that most elite athletes are in the 5-6% range. Unless you're talking only about sports where power::weight ratio is key (cycling, gymnastics, lighter athletes in weight class sports), I don't believe you're going to going to find many athletes in this range.

But I'm not sure, and I'm certainly open to change. The only published list I've seen was from Dr. Sears regarding college-level athletes, and it did not approach this. I would welcome any studies to the contrary, as I'm a little curious about this.

**I just re-read the original post. I have no idea where I got 5-6%. The 6-8% that Trygve desires is on the lean side but not dangerously unhealthy. Sorry for unnecessary rant.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trygve Lunde View Post
Thanx, that is true. the very best players are very ripped. yeah of course my performance matters, but now the season is over and i want to get ripped once and for all
As I said above, I haven't read a lot of reliable studies on this, but the research I have read indicates that there are no performance benefits when dropping below 8% BFP.
Old 11-07-2008, 02:00 PM   #23
Steven Low
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gant Grimes View Post
Do you have any performance goals beyond aesthetics? If not, IF on Paleo stuff. Get yourself some rings and look at Steven Low's WO log unless you want to look all cracked out.
I can't tell if that's a compliment or not.

Most of your work should be with your sport.. and specific drills. But do some intervals and strength work or whatever. As always diet is generally the key... but 1500 cals/day probably isn't going to get you there o_o
Old 11-08-2008, 12:38 PM   #24
Patrick Yeung

Just curious, how long do you expect to stay that lean?

Interested in what kind of bf% people have been able to keep daily. I mean, I can drop down to 6% or 7% in a couple weeks or so from 12%, but id be so tired/exhausted, and the minute I eat, id put it back on.

Hows that sayin go.. Easy come, easy go?

Ive also experienced weight gain, and there are studies (id link em, but im at work, so not much time) on too low a calorie diet. If you look at other people's posts, like Daniel Olmstead (http://www.performancemenu.com/forum...ad.php?t=3011), I believe there were a few timse where, his calories had dropped lower than usual, and he wasnt losing any more bf, but when he upped it, it started coomin off again.
Patrick Yeung is offline   Reply With Quote