Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Nutrition > General Nutrition

Old 11-06-2008, 09:26 AM   #1
Patrick Poblocki

Default How to work out fasted

Hi all.

My schedule keeps me from an early am workout; therefore, I usually find myself in the gym around 3pm. My eating window has been from 10 am to 6 pm. Since fat loss is my primary goal, and stength gains secondary, I wanted to reap the benefits of a fasted-state workout.

Assuming that I will have to eat at some point before 3pm, what's the best way to obtain a fasted-state workout? In other words, what should I eat before 3pm, and how much?

My largest meal of the day is usually post workout.

Thanks,

Pat
Patrick Poblocki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 12:25 PM   #2
Mike ODonnell

Semi-Fasted state can be 3 hours after eating......so eat light early in the day, more fruits and veg, less heavy stuff.....give yourself a couple hourse before the workout and go for it. Use the food to fuel a short intense workout...then do some cardio after.
Old 11-08-2008, 11:52 AM   #3
Patrick Yeung

Im with Mike. I was on a similar schedule as you, sometimes id do Cardio in the mornin, but I nearly always lifted in the afternoon/night, and that was with a 12-15 hour fast.

I dont recomend it, and itll likly get your injured (as I have now) and you wont be able to work out at full strength. Have a small meal first of lighter foods. I would tend to stay away from fat tho pre workout, as it always made me feel bloated or way too stuffed for some reason.

Depending on what kind of workout im doin, ill go with a cup or less of Cottage cheese with some fruit, or something similar with yogurt.

If its a long run/endurance type, whole wheat tortillas/some kind of carb, with some cream cheese, nuts and crasins in it is a favorite of mine. Ill make like 3 or 4 of these mini burritos before a long run (2+ hours)
Patrick Yeung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2008, 01:09 PM   #4
Patrick Yeung

I was kinda interested in doin some more diggin on this topic. Heres what I found, pretty interesting.

http://conditioningresearch.blogspot...rking-out.html

http://nutritionhelp.blogspot.com/20...ood-sugar.html

This might be relevant for all who are doing IF really.
Old 11-13-2008, 02:04 PM   #5
Caleb Thomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Yeung View Post
I was kinda interested in doin some more diggin on this topic. Heres what I found, pretty interesting.

http://conditioningresearch.blogspot...rking-out.html

http://nutritionhelp.blogspot.com/20...ood-sugar.html

This might be relevant for all who are doing IF really.

Hey thanks for the links. That was some good info.

Have you found anything on what the body goes through when you don't eat a post-workout meal? I haven't noticed any differences yet working out in the morning (7 AM) and not eating until 12:30 to 1 PM. It's only been three weeks IF'ing though. It's hard not to think I'm losing that important recovery meal. I can't break the fast that early though.
Caleb Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008, 04:21 PM   #6
Mike ODonnell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caleb Thomas View Post
Hey thanks for the links. That was some good info.

Have you found anything on what the body goes through when you don't eat a post-workout meal? I haven't noticed any differences yet working out in the morning (7 AM) and not eating until 12:30 to 1 PM. It's only been three weeks IF'ing though. It's hard not to think I'm losing that important recovery meal. I can't break the fast that early though.
May not be optimizing muscle repair....but if you are doing more metcons and want more fat loss....not a huge issue as long as you get more protein later. If you want muscle size....you can try supplementing BCAAs pre and post workout (doesn't break the fast if there is no sugar in it).
Old 11-13-2008, 07:02 PM   #7
Mandy LaGreca

I have a question regarding this topic too. I team Bodypump on Fridays and if I am running on empty (fasted), I find I cant push as much "role model" weight and fatigue too soon, esp since I have to talk as well.

Should I skip the fasted workouts on Fridays and just eat a small meal beforehand to fuel my workout?
Mandy LaGreca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 08:37 AM   #8
Mike ODonnell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandy LaGreca View Post
I have a question regarding this topic too. I team Bodypump on Fridays and if I am running on empty (fasted), I find I cant push as much "role model" weight and fatigue too soon, esp since I have to talk as well.

Should I skip the fasted workouts on Fridays and just eat a small meal beforehand to fuel my workout?
Yes. Otherwise your cortisol will go tear some good muscle apart and start you down that road. Eat to fuel your workouts, as fat loss is hormonal anyways....it doesn't matter how many calories you burn working out.
Old 11-14-2008, 03:52 PM   #9
Patrick Yeung

Go with what Mike said.

I dislocated my shoulder when I was doing that. When they took my BP, it was quite low at the time, might have also been due to the shock/situation as well.

If your goal is to get stronger, be healthy and have it last, then dont worry so much and just eat first.

As far as PWO eating.

Id have to dig again, but I remember reading that your body actually dosent even really start digesting/replenish till after the first hour or longer after an intense type of workout. I find some quick carbs is the best, and if its got protein, even better.

If youre feelin extra tired, try a tall glass of milk and a glass of water, then a meal afterwards. I think Shakes would be better saved for later as well, after the first hour or so. I usually just wait till my body is cooled completely, so stretch, shower, prepare my meal, then eat. Usually takes me about an hour or so includin commute.
Old 11-25-2008, 09:56 PM   #10
Tim Donahey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike ODonnell View Post
If you want muscle size....you can try supplementing BCAAs pre and post workout (doesn't break the fast if there is no sugar in it).
How about intra workout?

www.startingstrengthwiki.com
Tim Donahey is offline   Reply With Quote